Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Should Internet Explorer be deleted ?

Bronze Conversationalist

Should Internet Explorer be deleted ?

Have been reading about this ; What would change in Windows 8 ?

What's everyone else doing , & what happened if you did delete ?

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ss11943859   You asked, "What's everyone else doing?"

I have several browsers on my computers, but use Microsoft Edge the most. I also have IE, Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Chrome. 

I have two WD My Cloud devices and when I want to open the internet site, files.mycloud.com, Edge will not work so I have to use one of the others and the majority of the time it is IE.

If you remove IE and then later decide you want to use it again you can download it here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17621/internet-explorer-downloads

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Personally I haven’t even seen a Windows 8 in long time, it pretty much is dead.

I’d probably disable it IE whatever version, instructions included-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitalcitizen.life/how-remove-internet-explorer-9

The above instructions cover cover all versions of Windows.

Save everything, and then reboot the computer to see what’s broken, before deleting it.

Honestly, haven’t look at anything but, 10 in awhile and I don’t know what is intertwined in your box.  Programs that depend on IE.

Edge, Chrome or Firefox are go to Browsers for modern oPerating Systems. With updates still available.

If you have 8.1 you might  have extended support until 2023? With 8 in theory it’s a maybe for critical security updates.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/01/15/technology/microsoft-windows-8/index.html

A quick google search says, Windows 8 is toast and dead, insecure. Roll of the dice🤣.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hello Sandee:

• You should be using Windows 10
  • In Windows 10, Internet Explorer was replaced by Microsoft Edge

Internet Explorer is archaic, you shouldn't be using it. The two best browsers are Chrome and Firefox. You can download them and use either one for free.

Finally, Microsoft Edge is a big improvement over Internet Explorer. So the conclusion is you don't need Internet Explorer period.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I don't use IE. at all. Think there is an I.E. icon on my desktop, though. If so, I'll delete it. I do use Firefox-I like it. I didn't upgrade to W.10 earlier, because I heard it was full of 'problems'.

I suppose by now, those glitches have been fixed.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP