Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

Hidden webcams, traveling?

You’ve no doubt read or heard stories similar to this InfoSec consulatant on vacation. Became concerned or paranoid upon seeing two smoke detectors 10 feet from the other  in rental sleeping accommodations.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/04/09/airbnb-says-sorry-after-man-detects-hidden-camera-with-n...

From NZ vacationing in Cork.

If your really concerned and pack your Win10 Computer along on vacation or an android tablet, phone, etc. or other smart device you could in theory spot discrepancies or issues with smoke detectors, clock radios, screwheads, etc. Expectation of privacy in rented housing🤣.

It won’t be like the movies or tv and tell you that the smoke detector is a camera, the clock, the clothes hooks, the screw, the lamp, etc.

Nakedsecurity.sophos will be releasing a short video of available applications that might help you sniff out webcams on vacation.

They will not be giving instructions on how , I will not be giving instructions on how to use.

Best suggestion if you read the manual and can wrap your head around how they work , your call.

With a fair warning using them can be a PITA, can be considered No no if used say at work. Your employers or IT Dept. may become agitated, etc. At work no privacy is to be expected anywhere but, throne room. Loading docks, lobbies, etc just assume it.

Video link will be up tomorrow for there you tube channel. It’s either nakedsecurity or Sophos.

Or just go to nakedsecurity.sophos.com and type videos in search bar tomorrow from their website.

Ducklin will be make the presentation, think it was 8-10 minutes in duration. I watched live today.

That’s about it, I’ve used similar programs/apps in past and briefly was infosec for someone using different programs only clues will be shown in broadcast.My programs were on $30k laptop similar but, different.

RTSM real time stream

RTMM real time messaging

Casting to your TV might help or not, viewing YouTube videos on desktop vs 48-60” tv is improvement. Actually YouTube may have videos on use of app’s /programs.

I admit I thought about not posting this but, recalled my own experiences in Holland for month and playing room tag for a clean room, with no devices installed.

Difference I had computer and access to US adapters.

Enjoy

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

From the security consultant comes his original blog post on his blog.

https://sixfortwelve.wordpress.com/2019/04/06/how-to-increase-your-chances-of-finding-a-hidden-camer...

Of how he became suspicious and the Android ported app he used to detect the webcam in the Airbnb.

With a fair warning that if camera is not on shared network or recording on a memory card or hardwired to a vcr, he might not have discovered that his family was being recorded.

There are other tells of cameras but, that part can be discovered by following the stories of late.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

For a relatively accurate app good on Android and iOS.

Fing seems to fill the bill with less false positives but, I can’t speak for the average person.

That’s just based upon scans at hotel and other networks where I had been granted access today.

If paranoid and on vacation you can expect privacy in your own room. App Store search for “fing” not a misspelling.

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Link to formerly live video just hit Sophos, this is the one mentioned in first post.

Here it is:
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/m/can-you-detect-hidden-cameras-in-hotel-rooms-video

Also some network mapping applications will just show everything as a webcam , until you read the instructions, and learn to use it.

Someone asked about free for iPhones and had to explain it, after they tried it on their home network.

Their router, printer, smart tv and smart phone showed as webcam, until they dug deeper into the manual settings on the app.

Goodenough can be free app, ez might cost. 

Froze

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP