Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Honored Social Butterfly

15 best internet TV apps

For those cutting tie to cable, satellite that live in the boonies or away. Or unable to pickup over-the-air broadcast stations.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-tools-to-watch-tv-on-your-computer/

With one word of warning for the moment on Xinqular or Comcast, an oopsie on their part.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/03/05/comcast-security-nightmare-default-0000-pin-on-everybody...

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Those are not "Apps" but online services.

For example, Netflix is not an app because it is not software that runs on your computer.  An example of an app would be a program that allows you to record Netflix streaming video for later playback.  By being inaccurate with terminology, you are making online searches needlessly difficult.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky  You said, " An example of an app would be a program that allows you to record Netflix streaming video for later playback."

While this is not recording, but about the same, you can use the apps to download shows and watch them later as shown below. This is copied from the Netflix web site.

AARPNetfixWatchApp19.jpg

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky     See this for definition of an app.

https://techterms.com/definition/app

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@cat0w wrote:

@aruzinsky     See this for definition of an app.

https://techterms.com/definition/app

True. So what?  I am not the one using "app" incorrectly.

Netflix's server side software is their app not their customers'.  The only people with Netflix apps is Netflix.  

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky   Not for sure what we are arguing over here but I know I have the Netflix app on all of my devices so I can watch their programming on all of them, Sony Smart TV, Roku device for my BR TV, Cell phone, and Tablet. I pay for their service and use the app they provide.

This first image is off my Desktop computer.

AARPNetflixAPPS.jpg

This is my Sony TV showing the Netflix app.

20190403_141059.jpg

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@cat0w wrote:

@aruzinsky   Not for sure what we are arguing over here but I know I have the Netflix app on all of my devices so I can watch their programming on all of them, Sony Smart TV, Roku device for my BR TV, Cell phone, and Tablet. I pay for their service and use the app they provide.

This first image is off my Desktop computer.

AARPNetflixAPPS.jpg

This is my Sony TV showing the Netflix app.

20190403_141059.jpg

The only thing needed to watch Netflix is a supporting browser. I have no Netflix app and here is a screenshot of my Netflix:

Netflix.jpg

Whatever "Netflix app" you are talking about has nothing to do with the title of this thread.  Those are 15 internet services and not 15 internet apps.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'm sure ready to cut cable, but want to watch shows, etc. on the tv, not p.c. Probably get an antenna, plus Netflix or whatever. Then a phone/internet service. Or, keep cable service for internet/phone & use an antenna & Netflix. Hard to juggle all this & still come out ahead.

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sandee,

You could just do app for tv, and computer for on-line, my dumb tv is smart through WiFi connected DVR/Player. 

I can cast to TV from iPhone or computer. Or most computers with HDMI ports like my desktop or laptop allow porting to TV as monitor.

As long as you remember to do updates on your tv, DVR/p or other devices you should remain relatively pure from malware, viruses, etc, As they’re all on the same WiFi network.

My situation is probably different from most, my over the air antenna in the olden analog days picked up most TV stations, now in digital form I only get 2 stations in Quebec from Maine.

My local/220 channels  is now Dish - $40.

My Broadband is $40.

Cable internet is $20 month vs $500 month for nieces in Boston.But, they have the dreaded bundle deal tv, internet and telephone service.

But, I dislike the speed offering in rural Maine using cable.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP