Content starts here



changing a parent's address with ssa

I am a caregiver for my 95 y/o mother who lives in my home and is no longer able to live in her home. As a result, I want to change her mailing address with social security. I have DPOA but am concerned because technically SSA states that DPOA's do not have this authority. I already take care of all her bills, medical appt's and 24/7 care. I simply want to do this so that her mail will come to my home where she is now residing but am concerned that somehow this will blow up. I am exhausted. Simply taking care of this online would help make life a little easier.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Your Nom might have assigned you with representative status on both Social Security and Medicare if she had set up her accounts with both at Social and respectively.  She could have also done it manually,  Under this power, she gave you the right to discuss both programs with them.


This is the form for Medicare - Assignment of Person To Act On Behalf of Beneficiary 


If not, and you have Durable POA - then you can visit a local Social Security Office and take all her information and they will help you set up a Social Security Representative Payee status for her.  If you are listed on her bank account where the SS check is deposited as POA, take that info too.


You will need this designation to act on her behalf in ALL matters related to Social Security and/or Medicare.  Securing both of these designations will make it much easier on you so you don't have to keep repeating when situations may arise.  You can call SS to ask more questions as the link above indicates - from the above link ~

If you are concerned that someone you know becomes incapable of managing or directing the management of his or her benefits, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to request an appointment to discuss your concerns.


This Social Security publication will explain further -

Social - A Guide for Representative Payees Publication 

from the publication ~ page 2

Family members often use a power of attorney as another way to handle a family member’s finances. For Social Security purposes, a power of attorney isn’t an acceptable way to manage a person’s monthly benefits. Social Security recognizes only the use of a designated representative payee for handling the beneficiary’s funds.





It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

Thank you so much, Gail. You are clearly extremely knowledgeable on this topic. I may look into whether I need to go to SSA to do this as that could be time consuming. I will see. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP