Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Need advise/help ASAP

I have lived full time with what started out as an elderly couple but now is justthe husband for 17 months now. I was given full POA apx 12 mths ago I have been 24/7 365 litterally with little to no help from thier family who showed up yesterday demanding that I pack up and get out right then! I have never recieved any pay at all The gentleman I care for is now incompatent. Help please what do I do?

Elizabeth Moore
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello:  I came on looking for some advise on cargiver support and saw your post. Sorry that I dont have any direct legal advise, but I wanted you to know that I will be praying for resolution for your situation. God Bless You.!

AARP Expert

@1MichelleVC wrote:

Hello:  I came on looking for some advise on cargiver support and saw your post. Sorry that I dont have any direct legal advise, but I wanted you to know that I will be praying for resolution for your situation. God Bless You.!

Hey Michelle,

That is lovely!  I just did some googling of definitions of prayer, and this may be my favorite: For me, prayer is an aspiration of the heart, it
is a simple glance directed to heaven, it is a cry
of gratitude and love in the midst of trial as
well as joy; finally it is something great,
supernatural, which expands my soul and
unites me to Jesus
โ€“ St. Therese of Liseiux 

So what was your question or concern? You can start your own thread if you want.

All the best for you and yours, as i send up a prayer for you.

Jane

AARP Expert

@BethM797260 wrote:

I have lived full time with what started out as an elderly couple but now is justthe husband for 17 months now. I was given full POA apx 12 mths ago I have been 24/7 365 litterally with little to no help from thier family who showed up yesterday demanding that I pack up and get out right then! I have never recieved any pay at all The gentleman I care for is now incompatent. Help please what do I do?

Hi Beth, 

You've received excellent advice. I would add that, if you don't have an attorney and can't afford one, the Legal Aid folks near you should be able to help. The Legal Services Corporation has a locator at the bottom of the first page: https://www.lsc.gov/    You'll need proof of income, and you don't get any in your caregiving responsibilities, but you do need to prove you are of modest means.

Good luck, and if you can please let us know how it turns out. Families can be awful sometimes.

Jane

AARP Expert

Hello @BethM797260 :  I wanted to respond to your post and echo @agoyer's thoughts - a lawyer who is trained to advise you on powers of attorney in your state can best advise you at this time.  If your care partner used an attorney to prepare the document, call that attorney ASAP.  If, for some reason, an attorney did not prepare the power of attorney, reach out to an elder law or estate planning attorney who is licensed in your state.  An attorney can best advise you about the rights you have as the agent named in that document (and what rights you don't have).  Be sure to mention any other contracts you had with your care partner that were part of your agreement for caregiving.    

If you are concerned about your care partner's immediate safety, then the authorities should be contacted as well.  

Amanda Singleton
All posts are intended to convey general information only and not to provide legal advice or opinions. The posting and viewing of the information in this community should not be construed as, and should not be relied upon for, legal or tax advice in any particular circumstance or fact situation. The information presented may not reflect the most current legal developments. An attorney should be contacted for advice on specific legal issues. Nothing written in this community is intended to create an attorneyโ€‘client relationship. An attorney-client relationship may only be established through direct attorneyโ€‘toโ€‘client communication that is confirmed by the execution of an engagement agreement.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
AARP Expert

@BethM797260 Hi Elizabeth - sounds like a very difficult situation. Did the couple have you move in specficially to care for them and was there an agreement that your room and board was in exchange for caregiving? Do you have a written agreement of any sort, in addition to the power of attorney? If you have anything at all in writing, video or audio recording that might be helpful. 

You really need to consult with an attorney, preferably an elderlaw attorney or whomever set up the Power of Attorney. That attorney needs to advise you of your rights (if you have any) and work with you and the family. If your power of attorney is legal, I'm not sure that the family has the ability to override decisions you make for their father.  But the power of attorney doesn't necessarily give you the right to live there or care for him. 

There are many stories about people who come in to care for others and wind up taking advantage of them and I'm sure that's what the family is concerned about. Even if you move out immediately, if your power of attorney is legal the family won't be able to make decisions for him. It's very complicated. I urge you to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP