Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Medicare Adv Plans

Is there a surcharge for delayed enrollment with the Advantage Plans? Have Part A only and not part B.☺
Periodic Contributor

Per Medicare website: Part B late enrollment penalty Generally, you won’t have to pay a Part B penalty if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. Learn more about Special Enrollment Periods. You’ll pay an extra 10% for each year you could have signed up for Part B, but didn’t. You may also pay a higher premium depending on your income. https://www.medicare.gov/basics/costs/medicare-costs/avoid-penalties You may want to check with Medicare, SHIP, or a local broker to find best option for you. SHIP at https://www.shiphelp.org/ Good luck!
Honored Social Butterfly

This Medicare page should explain it to you -

Medicare.gov - WHAT’S MEDICARE?

You have to have Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance), Medicare Part B (doctors, durable medical equipment, etc).and Medicare Part D ( Prescription Drug Program) in order to decide how you want to get your Medicare benefits -

• either through a Medicare Advantage plan ( Medicare Part C) that has them all built into the coverage 
  • OR through the Traditional or Original Medicare program with or without a Medicare Medigap (supplemental) plan.

You will pay a premium penalty for late sign up in Part B and Part D - 

You will pay a premium surcharge based on your income for Part B and Part D - this is called the The Income Related-Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA).

You have to have Medicare Part B in order along with Part A in order to choose and buy a Medicare Advantage plan or have access to this coverage under Traditional or Original Medicare.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Regular Contributor

BTW, since specialty IOL lens are not paid for by Medicare, do you think Eye Dr.'s try. to profit from this type of surgery? Is that why Aetna tried pre authoriztion for a year? Cataract surgery is very lucrative in recent past.☺
Honored Social Butterfly

I really don't know about pushing more when there is cataract surgery but I do know a lot of people that do go ahead and have it done.  Have they been pleased with their decision of paying for this extra fix - I'm getting mixed reviews.  

Cataract Surgery has always been a lucative surgery for those whom are afflicted with them the most,  Think that goes for either way that you get your Medicare benefit - Traditional or Medicare Advantage.  Now I do hear of great outcomes for just the cataract surgery and normal lense replacement.  OH, the colors, OH, somebody turned on the lights !!    Haven't yet been advised to get this surgery - and I have already out lasted (2) Ophthalmologist to retirement.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Regular Contributor

Since you must already have Part A for the Adv Plans. The answer must be yes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP