Keep yourself safe from scams with AARP’s free, two-part webinar Feb. 5 and Feb. 7. Sign up today!

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: How to Choose a Medical Alert System

Message 1 of 5

@PhillL907976 Hi Phil! I'm glad you found my column helpful! It can seem an overwhelming task to choose a medical alert.

That's a long list you found! It's too many to contact all of them, so if I were you I'd choose about 5 to contact (maybe a mix of the more well known companies and a few of the smaller, newer ones) and make notes about all of the issues I outlined in my column. Then compare. Be sure to remember the #1 thing - you should not have to get locked into a long-term contract; you should be able to stop the service at any time with no penalty. (This is important if you or your loved ones don't need it anymore, or if you choose one and are dissatisfied and want to change.)

I believe it's a good idea to look at reviews as long as you keep them in perspective. Are the reviews from verified users of the product? Are they paid reviews? Do the negative reviews far outweigh the positive or are there just a few? How recent are the negative reviews? 

You may be able to elimnate some of them, and if so you could contact a  few more.

I hope this is helpful! Please let me know if I can be of more help, and let us know how you did! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@oldmandigital Thank you Tom! I'm so glad you found it helpful. Good luck in your planning and choosing a medical alert. Let me know if I can be of any further help!

Take care,
Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I read your article and found it to be very helpful.  It makes it easier to understand and plan.

Tom Higgins
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I get so many questions from caregivers about which medical alert system (or PERS) to choose - hope this article I wrote is helpful! I'd love to hear from you which features you look for and what you like best. Are they simple to use or complicated? Has a medical alert system saved the life of someone you know? 

Thanks!
Amy 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies

How to Choose a Medical Alert System

Message 5 of 5

Our Caregiving Expert, Amy Goyer, recently wrote an article on how to choose the best medial alert system for your loved one. If your loved one uses one, which one is it and what do you like or dislike about it? 

You can read the article HERE

1140-choosing-medical-alert-system_imgcache_rev44a1f1185aa9220f5f3eb514e4c8005d.jpg

AARPJen
Caregiving Concierge
Kudos
Views
Replies