Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Eligibility for A&A

I am a vetran who is qualified for a pension (meet income and other criteria). I have not been able to get an answer to what I think should be a fundamental question: Am I able to qualify for A&A for my care-giving to my non-vetran wife to whome I provide care.

I would like to hire someone who is qualified to do medication management and change a drain dressing.

I have a couple of followup questions if I am qualified.

Thank you,

Bob McRae

Hinclkey, OH

AARP Expert

@robertm624229 wrote:

I am a vetran who is qualified for a pension (meet income and other criteria). I have not been able to get an answer to what I think should be a fundamental question: Am I able to qualify for A&A for my care-giving to my non-vetran wife to whome I provide care.

I would like to hire someone who is qualified to do medication management and change a drain dressing.

I have a couple of followup questions if I am qualified.

Thank you,

Bob McRae

Hinclkey, OH

Hi Bob,

I think you'll have to ask someone at the VA about whether you're eligible for Aide & Attendance for your wife, although i hope like you did when you wrote this, that someone has been down this path. Try 1-800-827-1000, the VA customer service line. I think that A&A is only for the sick veteran, but i don't know and it's certainly work a try, goodness knows. 

You might also see if there are any programs in your area: i took the liberty of putting in your zip code to eldercare.gov to see where you'd find out about services for your wife, with or without help from the VA. Here's what i found.

Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging

Address :925 Euclid Avenue
 Suite 600
City :Cleveland
State :OH
Zip :44115
Contact Email :wraaa@psa10a.org
Office Phone :(216) 621-8010
Information Phone :(216) 621-0303
National Toll Free Phone :(800) 626-7277
State Phone :(866) 243-5678
TTY Phone :(800) 750-0750
Languages :English
Description :The Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging provides support services for older adults and persons with disabilities. Programs and services, including but not limited to PASSPORT and Assisted Living Medicaid waivers, long term care consultations, and caregiver support services. Network of Care http://www.cleveland.OH.networkofcare.org
Special Notes :Community based nutrition and social services PASSPORT medicaid waiver home care program, Residential state supplement, Family Caregiver Support programs, Assisted living program. PASSPORT phone number:(216) 621-0303
Hours :8:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Time Monday to Friday
Directions :Located in the heart of Cleveland at 9th and Euclid Avenues. In the 925 Building.

So that's a place where you can go, or call, or email, and find out about free and subsidized services that your taxes help support. Right there in the special notes it says, "Family Caregiver Support." 

I appreciate your writing. Tell us more. How do you cope now? Are there others who can help you, chip in, give you a break? 

Thank you for your service!

Jane

Contributor

Thank you for the reply JaneCares. I took your advice and spoke with a knowledgeable and diligent Accredited Vetrans Service Officer today. She provided a detailed answer to my question: Am I eligible to receive A&A to pay for care givers for my wife's care:

The VA considers each application individually, so some may qualify and some may not; the necessary action is to apply by

1. Submit the Pension application. Countable income is based on income and offset by monthly unreimbursed healthcare expenses paid during the period starting when the intent to file was submitted. Prior expenses do not count.

2. Submit the form 21-2680 that describes my health condition and a second form that describes my wife's health condition. The forms are completed by a physician.

3. It is helpful to engage professional care givers to perform the tasks that are needed for my wife's care, medication management and wound dressing. Have the professional caregiver complete the Attendant Affidavit (no form number).

My brief description will probebly raise more questions in each individual case. I am only describing what I understand for my case, and am at the beginning of the process. I will post what I learn as I go thru the process in the coming months.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP