Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Caring for Mom

I have been the sole caregiver for Mom for the past 10 months.  She is living with a rare form of luekemia and may pass at any time now.  Mom has lasted this long because she has been able to stay in her own home an be cared for by her daughter.  

My home is one hour away from Mom, so this has meant a lot of sacrifices for my family and our business while I'm caring for Mom. 

Last month, my older sister (who lives across the country) retired and came to relieve me with the help of our aunt.  This has brought us closer together and has given me some much needed time to rest and take care of my own needs.  We are truly blessed to have this time with Mom and and thankful for every day we have with her.

AARP Expert

@DeeR629620 So wonderful that your sister is now with you and able to help and spend this important time with your Mom. I'm quite sure you're right that your Mom has done so well because of staying in her own home and being cared for by you - and now your sister too. I cared for both of my parents at home and my Dad just passed two months ago. He was 94 and had advanced Alzheimer's Disease, but did so much better than so many others I know. Having him at home (he lived with me) and my sister moved from Ohio to AZ to help care for him and lives next door (how great is that?!). It really does make a difference...

I hope your sister coming will help you take some time to care for yourself - it's a long road and no matter how much you want to be doing it, the caregiving does catch up with us sooner or later. Be sure to do good things for yourself, be gentle with yourself, and have that quality time with your Mom. The joy is what keeps us going, isn't it?! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP