Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: money saving tip

Message 21 of 26 (964 Views)
I am surprised that there isn't more discussion about finances and investment management. I would sure welcome an opportunity to learn from you or others with more experience. I am concerned about the bubble and losing hard earned savings and investments. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 22 of 26 (950 Views)

"....surprised that there isn't more discussion about finances and investment management...... I am concerned about the bubble and losing hard earned savings and investments. Any pointers would be appreciated.....".

We do talk about that in the 'Invest, Diversify....' thread. But to address your posting, whether there is a 'bubble' right now is strictly a matter of opinion. And not to be facetious, but anyone in the stock market, at any point in time, can lose. That's why people like Suze Orman tell people not to invest in stocks unless you have a 10-year horizon.

I've been investing for 40+ years, so have been through all the ups-and-downs as several other posters have. Is there some specific advice you're looking for? How to invest advice requires analysis of a great many factors such as time horizon, current assets and debt, income, age and health, how much risk you want to take, whether you have an emergency fund, are you supporting other people, your budget (income and expense predictions), what you are investing for, how well insured you are, how much understanding of the markets you have, etc.....

You have to be very specific to get reasonable advice or you just get offhand opinions from people who have no knowledge of your entire financial position.      

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 23 of 26 (907 Views)

There is a point where the average stock price compaired to that stock's earnings where the market is concidered 'in a bubble'.  The market has been in one for years.  It is so inflated right now, that the P/E we have now has only been exceeded once before in 1930.  Yes, we are in an extreme bubble.  It is far more likely to go seriously down than seriously up.  You ought to have more high dividend stocks and I would buy bonds after the fed raises interest rates agian.  Research 'defensive stocks' then invest more heavily in them.  Better yet find a protfolio manager that will do that for you.  The problem with that is brokers tend to be excellent sales persons.  I would query your freinds for a brokers who has done well by them in previous stock crashes. 

You really need a broker who monitors the market for bull market sell offs and the rise of defensive stocks.  Insitutions such and insurance companies, banks and colleges spend vast resorces to monitor the echonomies of the US and other nations.  They start the market trends.

This is a very dangerous time to be dabbling in the market.

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 26 (792 Views)

I put my dishwashing sponge either in the dishwasher or the microwave (depending on the thickness of the sponge....1-2 minutes).

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 26 (790 Views)

The DQ we go to gives a senior discount of 10% in northern 

Mn.

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 26 (608 Views)
the best way to save ,is before you purchase anything ask yourself is this a want or a need, if it is a need and you have the money buy it, if it is a want ,that means you really don't need it so don't buy it even if you have the money. Take the money and put it in savings, make savings fun and you will be surprised how fast this will add up. The only thing is you have to be completely honest with yourself when determining wants versus needs.