Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

First, I would make a sizeable contribution to my church, then clear any outstanding loans. Next would be to buy a dependable used car.  There are several great charities in my area that always need assistance.  It would be so rewarding to help in an anomous way some needy person to regain their independence.

Contributor

I would first pay my bills, Share with my children who have been a great help to my husband and I. I lost my sister just recently and My kitchen caught fire and we had to live else where until it all get fixed. Our money was very low, I had no cloths to wear and my daughter in law brought me some cloths, my daughter brought me shoes, our other daughter put us up and my sons helped out so much. Its funny how you teach them to share and when its you, you really find out how much your training and teaching makes a difference in your life as well as others. So that's why I will share with them. Then my faith is something I definitely will share with because its a voluntary organization and no one get paid for their services performed. So to further this initiative sharing the truth with others is so important I gladly will give to that.  Also last but not least I share my money with the less fortunate children who are in need of education support in various areas of their lives.  I run a non profti organization and I have pretty much given my life savings to it already and now low on funds so I definitely will put money into this wonderful organization as I hope others will also. check it out. google treadstonealc.com

0 Kudos
Contributor

After my husband died in 2012, I had to sell our house and move into something very small. Even after downsizing I have not been able to make ends meet. I would pay off existing debts, and get a marker for my husbands grave.
The rest of the money would be saved to help me live out the rest of my life.
0 Kudos

I would pay off our mortgage and put some away.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

If it was large enough, I would share it with my 4 children so they could pay off their debts.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Somehow your post wound up disconnected from the Discussion about receiving a windfall. You might want to copy & repost this in the original Discussion .. then delete this separate one.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would pay off my credit card debt which is a considerable sum right now.

Contributor

I would immediately apply it to my mortgage before I got carried away.

As I am 73 years old I would pay off my mortgage.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I would get my husband to the Cancer Treatment Center in Chicago (closest facility). He's dying, as there's no cure for his form of cancer, and only money can provide the treatment that could extend his life for a few more years.

0 Kudos

I would get out of debt, help my children and give some to my church.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off my childrens' school loans, buy a large piece of land and build a simple, ranch-style community house for my family, so no one in our family would ever have to worry about mortgages or loosing their home. I would indulge more in my charities and to my churches. Finally, I would build a fund for nurses who get into financial troubles for whatever reason because they give unconditionally on a daily basis to strangers.

Seek and secure the services of the best-recommended financial advisors.  Interview each one to find the one most knowledgeable and helpful.  

Sit around in a stupor for however long it takes.  Find the most effective way to pay down debt without incurring unnecessary tax liens or debts.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I invested it with someone I trusted and am now getting some every month to help me with my living expenses. I am a widow and only get $1300 a month from SS. Sure can't live off of that. I am so thankful that I did get some money to help me now that I am alone.
0 Kudos

I would redo the batrooms and kitchen at my church. I would payoff my mortgage and all other bills. Last but not least, volunteer for organiztions that assist the poor and elderly with time and money. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'd take all my family on a first-class trip to the Isle of Skye in Scotland--my favorite  place on earth (and I would stay there for 6 months!) I'd probably share out any left-over with my children and grandchildren, and hopefully have enough to give more to my favorite charities.

0 Kudos

gotta say $50 k won't go that far not nearly

we have 18 grandchildren...11 live in Israel and have financial needs.  I would give it to them.

0 Kudos
Contributor

To the person who would establish a fund for nurses: Are you a nurse or health care provider? I am a nurse and I applaud your appreciation for nurses. It is not often that you see or hear appreciation for nurses in a public forum. I, too if I received a windfall of money would do something for the nursing profession . Nursing as a career has been very good to me. it would be nice to be able to give back.

0 Kudos

Like a lot of others,   pay off my daughter's college loan,  and help both "kids" pay off their house loans as well.  For myself,   I would like to travel and see my brother and sisters.  I bought a lottery ticket today and will check it on Sunday  😉  Wouldn't that be nice if I won!!

A

0 Kudos
Contributor

if i got a windfall of money i would pay all my debts then i  would give to them that are less fortunate than i because that is what money is for to help those in need

Contributor

i would do some much needed repairs on my home,give to my church,pay off bills.give to homeless.  nacarroll

0 Kudos

I would pay off my bills. Pay off my kids car loans, and start a college fund for my 3yr old granddaughter.

Periodic Contributor

Pay off my student loans so I could retire before I turn 72.
Contributor

Most for savings, some for charity and some for family---maybe a nice dinner out.

Honored Social Butterfly

Since we're doing well already, I would start shipping monies over to family members.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

would definitely travel. would take friends with and kids with. would make the life a little more easy going more my kids. would definitely make a list of the people to be included and those excluded who may come out of the wood work. As in every family there are people who I have not seen in a long time. My thoughts are, if they didn't love me when I was poor they don't really love me when I am rich!
0 Kudos

lol
0 Kudos

can you adopt me! LOL 🙂
0 Kudos

Take my family on a month's vacation to France.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP