Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What would you do with a sudden windfall of money?

Retired Community Manager

I've been out of work for nearly  four years and living off of savings so I have been being very very frugal. It would be really nice to splurge on some new clothes that are in style again!  I haven't bought ANYTHING new in years except for a couple of items selected off the deep-discount sale racks to wear to interviews.  The rest would go to replenish my savings so that, even if I never find another job that pays what I used to make,  I won't have to start drawing SS just as soon as I hit the minimum age.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Restock the pantry, pay off the car loan, find an affordable place to live and get the postponed medical proedures done !

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I just completed "How to land your next job"  and did not get my 400 points( Missing one).

So, if I got a sudden windfall of money I would renovate my basement.  I've had several

floods and need that money badly.  I would also pay some bills since my husband died

recently.  I didn't know that keeping the home that we've lived in since 1978 would be

so hard.  When I try to checked  getting a discount or using AARP, that doesn't work.

I joined Angie's List and that's just as costly as other regular contractors.  If I had money

left I would help my daughter pay some of her Student Loan.

0 Kudos

My husband and I are on retirement.  He worries about the bills all the time.  I would like to pay off our bills and give his mind a rest so he can enjoy the rest of his life.  I also need a new car.  Retirement is supposed to be the golden years but it hasn't been for us so far.

0 Kudos

I would make sure my kids have college money we are older parents of a7 year old and a 14 year old and we are retired I'd make sure they had everything they needed cause I sure can't take it with me when I pass on
0 Kudos
Contributor

We are two older women living together to get by. Like so many, we're barely holding on to our home, many things need repair and after a heart attack I can no longer do a lot of repairs myself.

First thing I would do is see a dentist. Dentistry is not included in Medicare or my supplemental, which drains my last cent.

0 Kudos

Save it. My husband and I have no retirement. Social Security and what ever we manage to save will be all we'll have to live on.

0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos
Contributor

I struggled financially my whole life, so i would pay off all debt and bless others less fortunate, my desire is to give back as the blessing came from God
0 Kudos
Contributor

After I got all my bills paid off and a few investments made, I donate to 3 of my favorite charities: MADD, The Hydrocephalus Association and the Cancer Society.

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

A sudden windfall of money, hopefully it would be really a lot. First I would fix the house, everything you did to it 40 yrs. ago has to be redone. make sure I had enough for property tax for at least 10 yrs. The children don't need anything, So if there was a sizeable amount left, I would love to investigate different people to see if I could help them, without them knowing who helped them out. That would make me happy to see hard working people made happy that don't have to struggle for every penny..

0 Kudos

Put some in bank for retirement and travel for a long stay in Europe.

0 Kudos

I would help my daughter who is a single mother of 2 and has a low income.
0 Kudos

put in n  air conditioning  and heating system, in our home, making it more comfortable for us

and either get a new car or repair our old one.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off all my bills and invest the rest so that I have more to live on than I currently do.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would  pay  off  debts  owed  and  get  my life  back in order  rethink  alot  of things  for sure

0 Kudos

definitely pay off bills and save for retirement!!
0 Kudos

I certainly would not invest it as those monies seem to "legally" disappear.  I'd save it to be used in emergencies.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I would pay off student loans, and other bills, give to charity services.  I would give to daughter, and other family and some to special friends.  I would like to go on  NICE  vacation.  Get a better car. Save, and make sure there's  enough money for retirement in a few years. Right, now I am struggling with hard times just trying to make it.  When my mother passed away she blessed her 5 daughters, and the  benefits that was given to me, I  shared with other family and friends, that's the kind of person I am.  I am a giver.  If  a sudden windfall of money was to come my way, I truly would share with others. It would be a blessing.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I would invest it in Treasury Bonds.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off all the debts I have, invest some of it, pay off my childrens debts, give plenty to charity by setting up renewable trusts that will continue to generate more monies for the future, and take a family trip to somewhere we can all enjoy and have the wedding my husband and I never had with my children all there to help us celebrate. That is the one totally frivalous thing that I would have to award myself with the windfall. And of course save some for the future, mine and my future intended beneficiaries
0 Kudos
Contributor

Pay off debt and share with a family member.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Renovate my bathroom and kitchen.
0 Kudos

0 Kudos

#1-Buy Me a Kia Jeep Sportage 2014.
#2-Take My Grandchildren/Disney World.
#3-Move to a Better Senior Home.
#4-PayOff my Children House n Cars.
#5-PayOff my $22,000.00/Student Loan.
#6-Take Me n (10)girlFr.BAHAMAS.
#7-Buy (3)Neices a Good Used Car.
#8-Buy My Mom+Granny a HeadStone.
#9-$1,000.00/To (10)Different Churches
#10-Start a Food Bank in Phila.(5)Areas.
0 Kudos

Pay off Bill's get a nice car or Van make it like new and go on a long Trip!!, and put some Money away for a rainy day.

0 Kudos

help my children and keep rest for my retirement

@AARPLynne wrote:

help my children and keep rest for retirement

0 Kudos

Help pay for college for my daughter, pay off debt, finish writing my novel without having to freelance for a couple of months.

0 Kudos

I would pay off student loans & mortgage. Then share the wealth with my family.
0 Kudos

pay off my moms house, pay off my school loans and finish my professional liciencing requirements, buy an underwater tredmill for my dogs physical therapy, paint my moms home and finish restoring it to its original time period of 1905 including furnishings. buy 10 acres in colorado to run an equine program for women and children. buy my sister a house, and finally take a well deserved vacation to brazil.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP