Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

Can Money Buy Happiness?

A host of new research has merged personal finance with positive psychology to show how certain spending habits can boost your happiness. Take our quiz to find out which types of spending bring the most joy.

What do you think? Can money buy happiness?

Periodic Contributor

I think it would depend on each person. In my situation I'm in money would really help me escape the misery I've been experencing since I've been married to a cheating fake husband. 

I could move back to where I could be happy again n start getting rid of my sicknesses.

So yes n no , money can make people happier.

Super Contributor

Leave him. Take what you can and go. Sell things for money. Do whatever it takes. Life if too short to live with a liar that in the end will only do you harm.
0 Kudos
Contributor

Melania? Is that you?

too funny Bigelow!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hello all!

My thinking is that happiness is who we are innately. I believe we were born into this world to be happy. To notice all around ourselves in any given moment what sparks happiness, joy, satisfaction, peace, clarity, and knowing (to mention a few). Money comes to us when we are in this amazing state of happiness. Despite conditions that we find ourselves, notice away from fears, concerns, health etc to that thought that eases us gradually into a better feeling place. 

I also believe that even with my eyes closed i can conjure feelings of happiness by just feeling into myself, because I do it all the time! But especially in the moment I awaken from a nights sleep. Just noticing and milking that satisfying coziness brings me into my day feeling happy, satisfied and ready to be ready for what my day will bring. It is a honing skill of focus. And caring so much about myself that I put that first and foremost on my list of being human in my new day. Money comes. It can and will enhance opportunities. It is up to me.  My best to all.

Contributor

Money cannot buy happiness. You have to already be happy within yourself and have a grateful heart and spirit. Money can assist with better living conditions and experiences. There are plenty of wealthy people who are unhappy, miserable and some have even committed suicide. I am happy and content with my life and only want money to move to a nice, big spacious condominium. It doesn't hurt to wish and dream of having more. I am going to be happy regardless and I am extremely grateful for everything I have thus far. Life is indeed too short to worry about the small stuff. Nothing is more important than waking up to experience another day of life. Something that money absolutely cannot buy.

Gold Conversationalist

It won't buy true happiness but the lack of sufficient money can surely lead to misery.

Bronze Conversationalist

I'm thinking, if having money sufficent to buy food, pay bills ( better yet, pay off credit card), buy clothing (second hand is fine), get a good health plan, plus some extra bucks so you can travel,

well, then, yes, money can buy happiness !  Woman LOL

Sandee2
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I just about believe the same thing as you FredSmif. On a more personal level, the periods of my life where I felt financially insecure, happiness was definitely much harder to achieve when I struggled to afford basic necessities like food, housing and healthcare. Being able to financially afford basic necessities makes life more pleasant.
Super Contributor

I agree with you on this one.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP