Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Ask The Expert: Tax Prep and Saving Your Refund

Retired Community Manager

Ask The Expert: Tax Prep and Saving Your Refund

Thanks for joining us! Post a reply below for a chance to have your questions answered now through April 13th. [notice: This event is extended thru Monday, April 20.]

AARP Foundation staff and volunteers from the Foundation’s Tax-Aide program will answer your questions about Tax-Aide, saving your refund, and preparing to file your Federal return under the extended deadline of July 15. Please note: Our experts will not be answering individual tax questions.

Frequently Asked Questions:

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

@as1112 wrote:

i had an appt. in april; but it was cancelled due coronavirus. Will it be re- scheduled before July 15?

Hello, @as1112 ,

Unfortunately, at this time, we have no idea whether or not our in-person services will be able to be resumed this year, so we can't tell you if your appointment will be rescheduled or if you will be able to schedule a new appointment yourself.  

Many factors will affect when and whether our sites will be able to reopen, including the general progression of the COVID-19 virus crisis, the availability of volunteers and volunteer leaders, and the availability of host sites.  Tax-Aide leadership is currently looking at potential alternative service delivery methods, but we don't know when or if any of these alternatives can be deployed.

You can check our site locator page for updates on any resumption of Tax-Aide services.

Given this uncertainty, you may wish to consider other ways to complete your 2019 tax return.  Depending on your income, you may be eligible to use one of the IRS Free File options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free .  MyFreeTaxes.com is another alternative offering free filing for those who qualify.

If you don't qualify for a Free File software option, you can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms to electronically file; this option is available from the Free File page.  There are also paid versions of commercial tax software available, or you may seek a professional preparer in your area. Note that we are explicitly prohibited from referring taxpayers to specific tax service providers, tax attorneys, CPAs or other professionals. The IRS has a useful article concerning how to screen a tax professional if you elect to use one: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/choosing-a-tax-professional

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Thank you for this question, @AARPLynne.

AARP Foundation and our community partners are assessing coronavirus (COVID-19) developments on a daily basis to ensure that all CDC guidelines for health and safety are being followed to protect volunteers, staff and the people we serve. To that end, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide has suspended services until further notice.

• While Tax-Aide provides free tax preparation and filing services to all taxpayers, many of those served are over 60, a group considered by health experts to be at higher risk of developing complications from the illness.
  • Tax-Aide will continue to assess when the program will open again in some or all sites during the remainder of the tax season, which has been extended to July 15.
  • Please check the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide web page for updates at aarpfoundation.org/taxaide.

Question: Can you share with participants the current status of the Tax-Aide program?

0 Kudos
Contributor

@TaxAideExpert, when filling for unemployment do you need to report income from Paronage Benefit Share in the Association's profits through patronage refund 

so when filling unemployment they ask did you work were you available for work 

Also do we claim $1,200. As income earned That we receive from the government to help the economy i think it's called the Care releaf fund

thank you

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hi @PaulaR349216 

@PaulaR349216 wrote:

@TaxAideExpert, when filling for unemployment do you need to report income from Paronage Benefit Share in the Association's profits through patronage refund 

so when filling unemployment they ask did you work were you available for work 

Also do we claim $1,200. As income earned That we receive from the government to help the economy i think it's called the Care releaf fund

thank you

A patronage dividend is a dividend or distribution that a co-operative pays to its members or investors. Tax rules view these profits essentially as an overcharge, which can be returned to patrons and deducted from the co-op's taxable income. They are not wages for purposes of determining unemployment compensation.

Each state has a formula for figuring your weekly unemployment benefit amount based on your salary or wages. Usually, the benefit is a fraction of your salary during all or part of the base period. Since each state is different, please check with your state unemployment agency to see exactly how your benefits are computed.

The Economic Impact Payments are generally $1,200 for an adult and $500 per child under 17 and are not taxable income or income for unemployment benefits. More information is here: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not sure where to put this but I am having a problem and need help and no one seems to know the answer. I called SSA, IRS has no phone service. I called county welfare, my Senator , my Congresswomen and no body know what to do. 

Help please. I filed on April 10th. Then I had realized I left out CA from my DL so I edited my paperwork. 

I got the email that said return received. It said I will get a response from the IRS in 24-48 hours. It's been 5 days and no word. I click on the area that says check e-form update and it says nothing filed with my Social Security number and I don't know what to do. I have been checking every day. Who can I call or email or what should I do? 

Help please. 

Thank you- Nicole P*******

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 11:47 AM
To: *********
Subject: Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info - Return Received

Dear Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info customer:

Your Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info return successfully transmitted.

Next steps:

Watch your email. In 24-48 hours, you should receive an email showing whether your filing is accepted or rejected by the IRS.

Your return is not complete until it is accepted by the IRS.

You can also check the status of your return by logging in to your Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info account at ************ and selecting the "Check E-File Status" button.

This email was generated by an automatic system that is not monitored for responses.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @NicoleP663199 

You wrote:

....Help please. I filed on April 10th. Then I had realized I left out CA from my DL so I edited my paperwork. 

I got the email that said return received. It said I will get a response from the IRS in 24-48 hours. It's been 5 days and no word. I click on the area that says check e-form update and it says nothing filed with my Social Security number and I don't know what to do. I have been checking every day. Who can I call or email or what should I do? ....

You also stated that you called SSA. Please note that if you receive Social Security or SSI benefits, there was no need to file a Non-Filers information form. The stimulus payment will automatically be paid the same way you receive your Social Security check.

If you do not receive Social Security or SSI benefits and otherwise qualify for the stimulus, and if you cannot access the information you previously entered (SSN not found), it is possible you entered your SSN incorrectly. You might try filing again. Be sure you are using the IRS site to do so, as some fraudulent sites have appeared.  

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

Adding your state (California) to your driver's license information should not cause a problem. 

There is a Frequently Asked Question link on the entry page that also may help.

Contributor

Good afternoon, I efiled (or rather my husband) e-filed his state and federal return on 1/27 through Turbo Tax, and has yet to receive his federal refund.  When he logs into the IRS website to check the status, it indicates that "we have received your tax return & it is being reviewed.  You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days.  You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested.  If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.  Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then."

We contacted Turbo Tax Audit Protection, and they indicated they could not contact anyone either.  Is there anything that we can do at this point, because it has now been 78 days since he filed.

Your assistance or insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Laurie Black

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @l788420b 

You wrote:

Good afternoon, I efiled (or rather my husband) e-filed his state and federal return on 1/27 through Turbo Tax, and has yet to receive his federal refund.  When he logs into the IRS website to check the status, it indicates that "we have received your tax return & it is being reviewed.  You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days.  You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested.  If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.  Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then."

We contacted Turbo Tax Audit Protection, and they indicated they could not contact anyone either.  Is there anything that we can do at this point, because it has now been 78 days since he filed.

Your assistance or insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Did you receive the notice from the IRS yet? An IRS notice is generally sent following the review. Unfortunately, you cannot hurry this process and with the added responsibilities of the IRS staff and the reduction in workers due to the COVID-19 precautions, you can expect an extraordinary delay. In ordinary circumstances, it can take 6 or more months to complete a review of a return once it has been flagged if an IRS agent must become involved.

The IRS notice will advise you of any issues identified and your next steps.

Retired Community Manager

Thank you, @TaxAideExpert, for helping us to get an early start on the event. Participants are welcome to continue asking questions for the team.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I had my taxes done at one of your sites earlier this month and the returns were electronically filed from your site.  I owe some Federal taxes.  Am I eligible to delay sending that money until July?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes. Go to IRS.gov website for IR-2020-58, which states

Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.

Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this automatic federal tax filing and payment relief. 

@JudithK835210 wrote:

I had my taxes done at one of your sites earlier this month and the returns were electronically filed from your site.  I owe some Federal taxes.  Am I eligible to delay sending that money until July?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, you are eligible to delay sending your tax payment in even if your return was filed before the change in due date was made.

@JudithK835210 wrote:

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hi @JudithK835210 

You are correct - your payment is now not due until July 15th. Please be sure to include a payment voucher when sending your check.

@JudithK835210 wrote:

Thank you.

Contributor

Is AARP Tax aide preparer be scheduling to help fill individual taxes? Or will we have to find other tax preparers?

willthe seniors have any recourse in getting their taxes prepared through AARP?

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

@s815498d wrote:

willthe seniors have any recourse in getting their taxes prepared through AARP?

Unfortunately, at this time, we have no idea whether or not our in-person services will be able to be resumed this year.

Many factors will affect when and whether our sites will be able to reopen, including the general progression of the COVID-19 virus crisis, the availability of volunteers and volunteer leaders, and the availability of host sites.  Tax-Aide leadership is currently looking at potential alternative service delivery methods, but we don't know when or if any of these alternatives can be deployed.

You can check our site locator page for updates on any resumption of Tax-Aide services.

Given this uncertainty, you may wish to consider other ways to complete your 2019 tax return.  Depending on your income, you may be eligible to use one of the IRS Free File options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free .  MyFreeTaxes.com is another alternative offering free filing for those who qualify.

If you don't qualify for a Free File software option, you can use IRS Free File Fillable Forms to electronically file; this option is available from the Free File page.  There are also paid versions of commercial tax software available, or you may seek a professional preparer in your area. Note that we are explicitly prohibited from referring taxpayers to specific tax service providers, tax attorneys, CPAs or other professionals. The IRS has a useful article concerning how to screen a tax professional if you elect to use one: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/choosing-a-tax-professional

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello @ErnestM135546 .  Thank you for your question "Is AARP Tax aide preparer be scheduling to help fill individual taxes? Or will we have to find other tax preparers?"

AARP Foundation and our community partners are assessing coronavirus (COVID-19) developments on a daily basis to ensure that all CDC guidelines for health and safety are being followed to protect volunteers, staff and the people we serve. To that end, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide has suspended services until further notice.

While Tax-Aide provides free tax preparation and filing services to all taxpayers, many of its clients are over 60, a group considered by health experts to be at higher risk of developing complications from the illness.  Tax-Aide will continue to assess whether the program can open again in some or all sites for the remainder of the tax season, which has been extended to July 15.

Taxpayers can check the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide web page for updates at aarpfoundation.org/taxaide . In the meantime, taxpayers can visit IRS’s free tax filing service at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-filedo-your-federal-taxes-for-free.

Contributor

When I tried to go to the link provided for IRS free tax filing service I get  the message 

'page not found'.

Is there another link?

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello @ditaliaj 

We don't know if you encountered a temporary problem or were using the wrong link.  But we just verified that this page works:  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Try the link again.  It could have been a temporary outage.  It's working as of right now.

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello @ditaliaj 

@ditaliaj wrote:

When I tried to go to the link provided for IRS free tax filing service I get  the message 

'page not found'.

Is there another link?

The link to the IRS Free File page is: https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

You can also go to https://www.irs.gov/ and click on "Do Your Taxes for Free"

0 Kudos

I need assistance on best way to get my 2017 & 2019 taxes done ( know I owe from 2017).

0 Kudos
Contributor

Can I claim my college student son as my dependent and get a deduction for the tuition I  paid? He made more than $5,000 working part time. 

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @spedee1 

@spedee1 wrote:

Can I claim my college student son as my dependent and get a deduction for the tuition I  paid? He made more than $5,000 working part time. 

We can't really answer specific questions about your tax situation on this forum.  We can tell you that you can use this IRS Interactive Tax Assistant to determine if you can claim your son as your dependent: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent

This tool asks the same questions our Tax-Aide volunteers and other tax preparers would have to ask to make the dependency determination and provides you with immediate feedback.

Note that if you CAN claim your son as your dependent, he should be sure to specify this when he files his own return.

0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

@spedee1 

If you can claim your son as a dependent, you may be able to take a Tuition and Fees Deduction, an American Opportunity Credit or a Lifetime Learning Credit for qualified education expenses paid for him.  Please see IRS Publication 970 for details   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello, @SheilaT823772 

You wrote:  "I need assistance on best way to get my 2017 & 2019 taxes done ( know I owe from 2017)."

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide volunteers can generally prepare or amend prior-year tax returns for up to three prior years if they are within the scope of the training for the volunteers at a particular site.

However, all Tax-Aide services are suspended until further notice to minimize the risk to the health and safety of volunteers, taxpayers and communities as all deal with the coronavirus (COVID-19) health crisis. Tax-Aide services cannot be provided anywhere until the suspension is lifted. The IRS has extended the due date for filing and for payments until July 15th.

If you cannot wait until our in-person services resume, there are several commercial software offerings available or you can investigate the free-file options at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free or seek a professional preparer in your area. Note that we are explicitly prohibited from referring taxpayers to specific tax service providers, tax attorneys, CPAs or other professionals. The IRS has a useful article concerning how to screen a tax professional if you elect to use one: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/choosing-a-tax-professional  

Prior year (2017) tax returns must be completed on software or forms for that year. You can find the 2017 forms and instructions here:  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/prior-year 

Contributor

Will appointments for tax preparations still be available in April for AARP members still be honored due to the corona virus?

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am not in on the administrative side of the Tax Aide program and I have heard nothing, but with this being the 6th of April, and with the extension of the stay at home order, I doubt you will see the tax program restart in April. That being said, I would expect that you will see if back before the July 15, 2020 delayed due date.

@as43421461 wrote:

Will appointments for tax preparations still be available in April for AARP members still be honored due to the corona virus?

Kudos
Views
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide

Hello @as43421461.  Thank you for your question "Will appointments for tax preparations still be available in April for AARP members still be honored due to the corona virus?"

AARP Foundation and our community partners are assessing coronavirus (COVID-19) developments on a daily basis to ensure that all CDC guidelines for health and safety are being followed to protect volunteers, staff and the people we serve. To that end, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide has suspended services until further notice.  As a result, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide sites will not be able to honor previously scheduled appointments.

While Tax-Aide provides free tax preparation and filing services to all taxpayers, many of its clients are over 60, a group considered by health experts to be at higher risk of developing complications from the illness.  Tax-Aide will continue to assess whether the program can open again in some or all sites for the remainder of the tax season, which has been extended to July 15.

Taxpayers can check the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide web page for updates at aarpfoundation.org/taxaide . In the meantime, taxpayers can visit IRS’s free tax filing service at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-filedo-your-federal-taxes-for-free.

Kudos
Views

I'd like to postpone my appt today for my taxes @ a church on walnut bottom rd, in Carlisle, pa

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP