Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Retired Community Manager

ATM Smart Savings Sweepstakes

We know that saving, especially for retirement, isn’t easy! That’s why the editors of AARP The Magazine created a digital magazine all about savings and retirement. AARP The Magazine’s Special Money & Retirement digital issue is here to help you better save for what lies ahead.  Post your favorite savings tip in the discussion below. Just by posting you’ll be entered for a chance to win the grand prize of $1,000!

How to download the special Money and Retirement digital issue:

It’s easy to download the digital magazine! Click here  to read the special Money & Retirement digital issue.

Enter the sweepstakes in 2 easy steps:

1. Sign in or register on AARP.org

2. Post to the “AARP Smart Savings Sweepstakes” discussion board.

That’s it. You’ve entered the sweepstakes.

Contest ends October  1, 2016. See Official Rules and Terms of Service. Be sure to tell us what you think about the new digital magazine by completing our short survey here.

Contributor

I even use the instore coupons also to save money

0 Kudos

I am posting on this board i.o.t. qualify for entry into the AARP Sweepstakes.

Pete H

0 Kudos
Contributor

Save $5 every time I go to grocery store.  That way I will be less likely to spend on unnecessary items.

Contributor

Saving coin change is a painless way to start

0 Kudos
Contributor

a piggy bankhas memories and encourages good habits
0 Kudos
Contributor

I now use an app from my grocery store and shop online, having discovered that I am a more intentional shopper than ever  before.  When I first heard about the program offered at my local store, I balked at the $4.95 fee charged. Out of need after having surgery, however, I tried it out "just for a couple of weeks" until I got back to full energy level.  Now I use the service regularly, every couple of weeks, for my major shopping. I've found that I save so much more when I shop from the comfort of my home, with my shopping list in hand, and the opportunity to double check if I truly need an item.  A side benefit, I am buying less junk and processed food (often none), more savings and healthier choices, and I am more carefully selecting from several options offered. No longer relying on a particular brand, I am often choosing the less expensive store or  a sale item.  Finally, I've become a regular coupon user for the first time, thanks to the website's digital coupons. I no longer forget to bring the coupons with me when I shop; they are downloaded  to my store rewards card and automatically applied to my purchase.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Start small -say $ 5 week/month.  Once you see it add up, you get hooked.  

Also, do this when kids are small and you create a life-long habit.

Contributor

I drive an old car until the repairs cost more then the value of the car.

It's transportation not a trophy!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Rather than a night on the town, spend some time playing games to pass time.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

ridht on!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Use merchants credit cards for special discounts. Target Red Card gives 5% off every purchase plus they donate a portion to our school. Department stores send you special sales and coupon offers. Using the Costco MasterCard, SunTrust Visa or Aadvantage card on everything scores us cash rebates! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Teach your children how to handle money and to start saving for an objective.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Volunteer at a charity event.  You will help other people in need and meet new friends.

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is a good strategy for longevity,  it gives the child money to work for major purchases when they are older 

0 Kudos
Contributor

my o my- if you have not learned yet better vote progressive 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

stay healthy to save money.  Plenty of exercise, nutritious food, adequate sleep... that's all you need.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks, good suggestion.

0 Kudos

I agree I also have a bank to put change in and it's easy to save by just putting pennies dimes and nickels in a bank.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Get He Done!

@kschumann wrote:

Start small -say $ 5 week/month.  Once you see it add up, you get hooked.  

Also, do this when kids are small and you create a life-long habit.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Clever!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I can pay full debts out and some save my retire in the future..

0 Kudos

Great idea. The amount isn't as important as getting in the habit

0 Kudos
Contributor

Absolutely. We did this with our children, who are now 24, 28 and 31. Two out of three of them have told us that they have continued this habit (as much as possible with their young families). It does grow and it adds up, even for kids.

I always felt that it helped to avoid lots of small, wasteful purchases, because they were saving for things that they really wanted.  🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

Just Do It.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Great opportunity to take a few days and visit some scenic places in my state

0 Kudos
Contributor

If not using unplug

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

If not using unplug

0 Kudos
Contributor

I want to win

0 Kudos
Contributor

Saving $5 a week is how we started when we first got married.  It allowed us to take a nice vacation in four years even though we thought we could never afford it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Saving $5 a week is how we started when we first got married.  It allowed us to take a nice vacation in four years even though we thought we could never afford it.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP