Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Self-Care Style

Not seeing family or friends. Losing your job or watching it transform beyond recognition. Getting a life-threatening disease or fearing you will. Having someone you know pass away.

Psychiatrists consider any of these events — which were especially common during the pandemic — to be potentially traumatic. For some, such high levels of prolonged stress may leave deep and lasting psychological scars, with the most extreme of these effects being post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD.

Trauma is an incredibly common yet misunderstood human experience. The good news is that healing from trauma and PTSD is possible. Creating a self-care ritual is an excellent way to deal with the emotional, mental and physical tole of trauma and PTSD. And there are so many ways to incorporate self-care into your routine!

From hiking to meditation, to cooking and eating nutritious foods, there's an abundance of ways to make self-care an enjoyable habit. We all deserve moments of joy and peace! What are your favorite ways to practice self-care? How would you define your self-care style?

Social Butterfly

@RacquelE712599 Such an important and timely question!  I would say my self-care habits include:  Getting 7 hours of sleep ( sometimes a whole 8 hrs ), staying hydrated, eating mostly vegetarian,  exercising 5X week ( most weeks ) staying in touch with close family and friends, volunteering, staying involved in my hobbies ( reading, sudoku, looming hats, playing games, nature walks ) giving words of encouragement and kindness and belly laughs.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk on the weekends.  I read my devotionals and pray.  I quilt and read.  I listen to music.  I do yoga and garden.  

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

A cat-nap is a good place to start. You could then continue/finish the day properly. A good night's sleep helps with being able to deal with tomorrow. Over-sleeping on the weekend until you're slept-out helps your subconscious ruminate on all those things "on the back burner" in your mind.

When you're sick and tired of sleeping so much, you might finally get something done. If not, then maybe it's time to "check out", and die in your sleep.

Social Butterfly

My shut down is a cold brew on the patio!

Bronze Conversationalist

When I think of any type of self-care for my mind, I think of the song "Talk to the Animals".  Getting away from chores and other humans, I can talk to my dogs, chickens, and goats.  They listen without judgement and I can tell them anything.  It might sound strange to those who don't have animals, but I forget my problems and feel relaxed as soon as I start petting my 'babies'.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love this @ip3285! Talking with and petting animals can be so soothing and healing. I'm in the process of getting my dog set up as an emotional support animal!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ip3285 I think you answer is awesome!  I loved the original version of Dr. Doolittle with Rex Harrison and Anthony Newly ( his voice always makes me happy )

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I work from home full time (I commuted to an office before the pandemic). One thing that has helped me tremendously in setting "boundaries" between 'work' and 'home' is to put my work laptop away every night.  I disconnect it/shut it down, and put it away in the closet in the travel case.  I don't get it out until the next morning (or the next workday).

Sure, it takes a few minutes to set-up the work laptop each morning, but that is now my 'morning commute to the office'. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a brilliant boundary @Mike7SoCal! I need to start doing that. My partner and I both work from home and alternate between using our extra bedroom as the office. We have an open living space, so one of us sets up at the dining room table if we aren't in the extra bedroom. Having my computer there M-F is problematic. Your solution is a great way to avoid burnout!

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome @Mike7SoCal 😁

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

My self care is writing drinking tea and reading a book. The best is thinking and knowing what direction I’m heading 

Racquel Evans
Community Manager
Community Manager

That sounds like a wonderful self-care ritual @RacquelE712599 💜 Taking moments for internal reflection and processing is so important.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Thank you 

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Thank you for the post!  Yesterday was my first time in a gym since covid! Just getting on my favorite cardio machine, the rower felt awesome.  Looking forward to getting back to Zumba classes, and will probably dip my toe in a yoga class in the next few weeks.  Besides exercise, I continue to do my daily morning routine of a daily devotional, journaling and writing a to do list for the day while sipping some tea.  The whole thing only takes 15-20 minutes, and is the best self-care thing I've done for myself in a long time.  Be Well

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's wonderful that you are back in the gym @Rhymesometimes! I'm still doing virtual classes at home, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it in person. Let us know how your yoga class goes! I'm a big fan for the mental and physical health benefits.

Your morning routine sounds like an amazing and soul-nourishing ritual 💜

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post @AARPRachelA 😁 Yes, this is my year of setting boundaries and loving myself!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @Anonymous 💜 Setting healthy boundaries is so important for self-care. I'm also working on that this year!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP