Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Memory Lane

Looking at old photos can help trigger past memories, and y'all shared so many remarkable and special memories during our first ever Memory Contest, especially when it came to TV Dinners! I had so much fun reading your replies. One of my favorite tv dinner memories came from @slywlf54:

As a kid, growing up in a 6 flight walk-up on the east side of Manhattan, we were too poor to get these often, so they were always a treat. Mom, sad to say, was - shall we just say - an indifferent cook, at best. Everything was always over-cooked to dry tastelessness, and minimally seasoned. Also, these happy little trays contained dessert - an otherwise seriously rare event. Eventually, I grew up enough to take Home EC, and take over much of the cooking - a relief all around - but while I haven't had one in years, just the thought is a bright spot in an otherwise dingy memory.

Let's keep the nostalgia going ⬇️ Do you remember these knobs? How would you caption this photo? What memories arise?

TV Knobs 2.jpg

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's almost Halloween 👻🕸🎃 Who remembers these?! ⬇️

1970s candy.jpg

What sweet (or sour) memories do you have about Halloween candy?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Now just a little adjustment on the rabbit ears should clear up that snowy picture.

Remembering the days before flat screen smart Tv’s, digital signals and streaming.

We had cathode ray tube Tv’s, analog signals and rabbit ear antennas.  The channel selection was limited to just 2 bands VHF and UHF. To get better reception from the analog signal you could wrap aluminum foil around the telescoping rabbit ear antennas. If that still didn’t give you better reception, we would connect an extra piece of flat antenna wire to the Tv, to the rabbit ears and then hang it out the window. A roof top antenna gave you better reception if you were lucky to have one.

Call me spoiled but I’ll take my smart Tv and streaming services over the boob tube of yesteryear any time, I’ve paid my dues.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ReTiReD51, I'm imagining antenna wires just hanging out of windows and it's making me lol 🤣

I grew up in the 90s/early 00s. My parents had a tv with knobs in the 90s and I remember having to be the remote 😑

Social Butterfly

Lol 😃, your parents letting you be the remote. Maybe it was a clever way to teach you your numbers.

But it reminds me I have a daughter your same age who grew up in the 90’s and 00’s and I wonder if I taught her numbers the same way? I’ll have to ask her next time I talk to her. I hope she takes it as well as you have, if I did.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP