Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

Juggling for Brain Health

Any jugglers here? According to science, juggling is great for maintain brain strength, reflexes, eye-hand coordination, stress relief, and increases neural connections. I can barely juggle three tennis balls right now but I'm going to start juggling for ten minutes a day and see if I notice any improvements.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17957-learning-to-juggle-grows-brain-networks-for-good/

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Trusted Social Butterfly

Learned to juggle as a teenager, nothing fancy, just three things at a time...don't remember why.  Sometimes it's fun to mix things up by trying objects of different weights, sizes, shapes like a golf ball, acorn and a nut or bolt.

One time juggled six golf balls back and forth with another guy in the yard.  Crusty old neighbor saw us and asked, "Is this what they're teaching in school now?".

Super Contributor

Eric, that's funny! Still, maybe juggling would be a good subject in schools, based on the brain-building research.

-Mark

Community Manager
Community Manager

Juggling - what a great idea! I've been able to juggle only a few rounds at most, but it's been a loooong time since I've tried. My sister learned to juggle in high school gym class, and she taught me. Sounds like you're having a good time practicing - glad it's bringing you some joy, Mark!

Super Contributor

Well, who would have guessed working on a new skill for 15 minutes every day would lead to improvement. Lol! One thing that seems to have helped with learning to juggle is saying a prayer as I do it, tossing a ball on each syllable. I can just about make it through the entire Lord's prayer before missing a catch.

Also, my arm strength is definitely improving along with eye/hand coordination. 🙂

-Mark

Super Contributor

What I've learned so far:

1. I suck at juggling

2. I'm sucking less after three days of practice (15 minutes per day)

3. It's a really good arm workout

4. Don't do it in the kitchen

-Mark

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP