- AARP Online Community
- Ideas, Tips & Answers
- AARP Rewards
- Home & Family
- Work & Jobs
- ITA Archive
- Health Forums
- Brain Health
- Conditions & Treatments
- Healthy Living
- Medicare & Insurance
- Health Tips
- Ask for a Health Tip
- Leave a Health Tip
- Retirement Forum
- Social Security
- Retirement Archive
- Money Forums
- Budget & Savings
- Scams & Fraud
- Travel Forums
- Solo Travel
- Home & Family Forums
- Friends & Family
- Introduce Yourself
- Late Life Divorce
- Our Front Porch
- The Girlfriend
- Home & Family Archive
- Politics & Society Forums
- Politics, Current Events
- Technology Forums
- Computer Questions & Tips
- About Our Community
- Entertainment Forums
- Rock N' Roll
- TV Talk
- Let's Play Bingo!
- Leisure & Lifestyle
- Writing & Books
- Entertainment Archive
- Grief & Loss
- Share and Find Caregiving Tips - AARP Online Community
- Ask for a Caregiving Tip
- Leave a Caregiving Tip
- Work & Jobs
- Work & Jobs
- AARP Rewards
- AARP Rewards Tips
- Earn Activities
- AARP Rewards Connect
- AARP Help
- Benefits & Discounts
- General Help
Fluoride - Demand AARP Take Action
“The evidence that fluoride is more harmful than beneficial is now overwhelming… fluoride may be destroying our bones, our teeth, and our overall health.” - Dr. Hardy Limeback, former President of Canadian ADA, Head of Preventive Dentistry at Univ of Toronto, 2006 National Research Council Scientist (2007)
The 2006 National Research Council on Fluoride in Drinking Water commented to the EPA that fluoridation at 1 ppm can be anticipated to be harmful for those with reduced renal function and the elderly. The NRC confirmed that fluoride not excreted by kidneys builds up in bones, resulting in arthritic pain and increased brittleness. However, there were no EPA studies on the whole health impacts of fluoridated water on susceptible population such as kidney patients, children, those with prolonged disease or the elderly. There still aren’t.
However, there is mounting science from other sources that “optimally fluoridated” water, which is known to cause varying degrees of dental fluorosis in 58% of Black American adolescents and 36% of White American adolescents, is causing subtle deficits in ability to remember or focus. That same “optimal level” has also been proved in a 2014 study as being nephrotoxic in rats with chronic kidney disease. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) affects approximately 15% of Americans, although CKD is quadruple the rate in Black Americans, and predictably worse in older Americans.
Perhaps the most horrifying part of the story of fluoridation is that not only is at least 50% of every drop of fluoride that has passed the lips of a Baby Boomer permanently stored in bones, fluoride isn't the only poison in packages of fluoride that originate as the waste product of aluminum an phosphate industry. 100% of the fluoride sampled in a 2014 study was contaminated with aluminum; arsenic and lead were other common contaminants. In other words, fluoridated water serves as a delivery system for aluminum and lead into our bones and our brains. As we all know, aluminum is associated with Alzheimers in adults, and lead is associated with learning disabilities in children. Approximately 15% of the population who is sensitive to chemicals cite inability to think clearly and overwhelming fatigue as symptoms of exposure to fluoridated water.
Our generation was part of a great human experiment. It may have had noble intentions based on the faulty hypothesis that drinking fluoridated water prevented cavities. It is now known that any perceived benefits of fluoride are from tooth brushing. Our grandchildren are the third generation in this travesty. I suggest we all DEMAND the AARP stand up for us and our grandchildren by issuing a strong position paper calling for the cessation of water fluoridation.
- 2014 in Toxicology. Effect of water fluoridation on the development of medial vascular calcification in uremic rats. (“Optimal levels” worsen kidney function😞 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24561004
- 2015 in Neurotoxicology and Teratology. Association of lifetime exposure to fluoride and cognitive functions in Chinese children: A pilot study. (Children with visible dental fluorosis perform less well on memory tasks, correlating with the degree of severity of their fluorosis. One of a series of human and animal studies with the same consistent findings.😞
- 2014 in Physiology and Behavior. Fluoride exposure during development affects both cognition and emotion in mice. (Measurable behavioral changes😞 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24184405
- 2014 in International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. A new perspective on metals and other contaminants in fluoridation chemicals. (All samples of fluoride are contaminated with aluminum, plus other contaminants like arsenic, lead and barium);
- 2014 in Scientific World Journal. Water Fluoridation: A Critical Review of the Physiological Effects of Ingested Fluoride as a Public Health Intervention. (Health risks and cost don't justify minimal and questionable dental benefit.): http://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2014/293019/
RACIAL INEQUITY (FOIA)
Here are three Oct 2014 news articles on the content of the Freedom of Information Act documents. Rev. Andrew Young, former UN ambassador has pursued them with the CDC, but to little effect. Civil Rights leaders have been calling for an end to community water fluoridation (CWF) since 2011.
- 1. Black Americans disproportionately harmed: http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/item/19317-feds-blacks-suffer-most-from-fluoride-fl...
- 2. CDC, ADA and Pew inappropriate relationships: http://benswann.com/do-newly-released-emails-reveal-conflict-of-interest-between-the-cdc-and-the-ada...
- 3. Kidneys, Civil Rights & Ralph Nader: http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2014/10/428383.shtml
2015 LEGAL ARGUMENT (GROSS DISPROPORTIONALITY)
There is a legal initiative in Peel, Ontario (pop 1.3m) to remove fluoride from the water supply based on the principle of gross disproportionality, i.e. marginal benefit does not justify great risk of harm. There is also a political effort afoot in Canadian govt to mandate fluoridation and thereby make the legal argument moot. I suggest this document is well-worth printing. http://fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/peel.june2014.pdf
- a. The first 19 pages of this document is about the legal strategy. It includes summary of US legal cases that found water fluoridation harmful to the public, but legal under US "police power" mandate.
- b. Starting on page 20 is a devastating affidavit by Dr. Kathleen Thiessen, NAS/NRC scientist and international expert in risk assessment. Very readable summary of science indicating harm to populations in “optimally” fluoridated communities.
POPULATION WITH LOW CHEMICAL THRESHOLD
- In excess of 25% of previously healthy Gulf War Veterans have Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, which includes sensitivity to fluoride. See: http://www.va.gov/rac-gwvi/docs/committee_documents/gwiandhealthofgwveterans_rac-gwvireport_2008.pdf
- EXCERPT: “It is well established that some people are more vulnerable to adverse effects of certain chemicals than others, due to variability in biological processes that neutralize those chemicals, and clear them from the body.” - Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses 2008
- Affidavit of Dr. Hans Moolenburgh: https://fluorideinformationaustralia.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/affidavit-moolenburgh.pdf
- Except: “As a summary of our research, we are now convinced that fluoridation of the water supplies causes a low grade intoxication of the whole population, with only the approximately 5% most sensitive persons showing acute symptoms.The whole population being subjected to low grade poisoning means that their immune systems are constantly overtaxed. With all the other poisonous influences in our environment, this can hasten health calamities.”
- PubMed Listed Studies on immune system response:
- a. Fluoride makes allergies worse, rats (1990): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1707853
- b. Fluoride makes allergies worse, in vitro (1999): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9892783
- c. Immune system of the gut (2010): http://www.hindawi.com/journals/iji/2010/823710/
- d. ASIA Syndrome, adjuvant impact (2011): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20708902
- e. Gene predicts fluoride sensitivity (2015): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25556215
- f. Brain has an immune system (2015): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26030524
AARP - STAND UP on our behalf!
Thanks. Yes the media do not often report fluoridation overfeeds. I recall one newspaper reporting an overfeed in Wisconsin where the water official said, "it's only 50 ppm, so it's not a big deal if people drink it because when they do they will just vomit it up anyway." Nevertheless since the water was deemed unsuitable for drinking, the entire treated amount, scores of thousands of gallons, were dumped into a local field. The casual treatment of industrial fluoride ingestion is amazing. Also, in drought-laden CA, water waste like that would result in a huge fine.
Well, the FDA wrote to me last week and stated that the fluoridated water ban petition FDA-2007-P-0346 and its supplemental letters of support (83 in total) will, rest assured, be carefully evaluated -- and that no further comment can be made until the reveiw committee reaches a decision. The petition was accepted for review in 2007 and we have not given up hope that it will, at least in part, be honored.
Thus far, the FDA remains the only U.S. government body that has made a number of official rulings against fluoridation of water supplies. One ruling was that it must not be used in kidney dialysis equipment because whole body dialysis in kidney disease patients results in too high a blood fluoride level which is associated with increased morbidity in those who have been so treated. We are hoping this nonsense can all be disposed of with a formal ban on the sale or production of industrial fluoride compounds intended to be ingested. Fluoride compounds have of course never been FDA approved for ingestion, but we hope the FDA can help us a little bit more, with a ban.
The Erin Brockovich legal group has officially come out against fluoridation, but we are asking AARP and other organizations to also examine the evidence in full.
And congratulations to the people of Juneau and also Fairbanks, AK. My sister lives in Anchorage where help is still needed to halt this ineffective, harmful, illegal waste of taxpayer dollars.
There are people in Anchorage working to get fluoride out of the water.I liked their facebook page so I could read their posts. That's another one of the towns where I was getting slowly poisoned for many years. It's nice to see Alaskans wising up and getting rid of fluoride. Such an ironic tragedy for people living in that beautiful pristine state to have their water poisoned. How could I have guessed that people would put rat poison in my water and that I wouldn't be able to smell it, taste it or see it? The whole thing is just awful, really. I probably wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced first hand what fluoride can do to you. It **bleep** near killed me! Glad I figured out what was going on before it did. I still hadn't figured out it was fluoride making us sick at the time I moved out of Alaska after living their all my life, something I thought I'd never do. But I went on a few vacations out of state and realized I was getting better while away, and getting sicker again when returning to Juneau. I wasn't sure what was doing it, but I got my family out. Later, after I put two and two together and figured out it had been fluoride in the water sickening us, I contacted people I knew who were still there to tell them.
“A good scientist spends his whole career questioning his own facts. One of the most dangerous things you can do is believe.” - Nigel Noriega, Environmental Scientist and Endocrine Biologist (2011)
- - This summer, yet another study confirms fluoride inflames the immune system and AT CONCENTRATIONS FOUND IN ARTICIALLY FLUORIDATED WATER!
Fluoride as a factor initiating and potentiating inflammation in THP1 differentiated monocytes/macrophages. I. Gutowskaa, I. et al. Toxicology in Vitro. Volume 29, Issue 7, October 2015, Pages 1661–1668. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233315001605
- - Another study proves for the first time that the central nervous system, spinal column and brain, has an immune system susceptible to inflammation. This likely explains why those with autoimmune diseases also complain about neurological symptoms.
Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels. Louveau A. et al. Nature. 2015 Jul http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26030524
"....infants fed formula made with fluoridated water suffer higher rates of dental fluorosis."
- Dr. Paul Connett, former Professor Emeritus in Environmental Chemistry and founder of the Fluoride Action Network (see post on infant exposure)
NysCof posted a link in a comment above to a blog post that describes how the f-lobby got the mandatory California fluoridation on the books, then bragged about their secretive tactics to avoid public input and debate. In that post, it mentions a CA team led by Howard Pollick that studied 2,520 California preschool children. A majority of Asian-American children that Pollick and his research team studied, lived in areas with fluoridated water; yet they suffered with the highest prevalence and the greatest amount of cavities.They report. "Our analysis did not appear to be affected by whether or not children lived in an area with fluoridated water," reports Pollick et al.
Pollick also reports in the "International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health" that "infant formula made with optimally fluoridated water might create brown and pitted permanent teeth." That is consistent with many studies that show children's teeth will grow in stained if fed formula reconstituted with fluoridated water.
Yet, Pollick remains committed to fluoridation, even when his own dental research proves it has no benefit, and causes permanent harm to infants and young children. Pollick assidiously avoids exploring any of the neurological, thyroid, or kidney damage science attached to childhood exposure. Pollick is also committed to back room dealings of questionable ethics, both on a state and national level. See following extracted from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) email communications released this year.
- CDC Clearance Chain: 2010 email collaboration between Steven Levy and Gary Whitford of IFS, Jay Kumar of NY DOH and ADA staff with CDC regarding wording of a 2011 ADA report on infant formula supposedly based on IFS data revealed a less than scientific approach to decision making. The collusion softened the language and obfuscated findings so as to remain supportive of CDC fluoridation policy. A concern voiced in the email trail was not to provide “fodder to antifluoridationists.” This biased “wordsmithing” by individual authors and ADA with CDC input calls into question the scientific integrity of dental researchers, IFS project and ADA. The peer review of the report by JADA found the report to be too confusing. The JADA editor suggested that the authors focus on major findings, include less data, and articulate clearer conclusions, which ironically was what the group was trying so hard not to do.
- I particularly like the comment by Howard Pollick of the University of California, San Francisco on June 4, “We should say something about why we are recommending fluoridated water, even though there has been no or little research on the benefits of fluoridated water in infant formula in the prevention of dental caries.” This led to discussion about the inclusion of endorsements of fluoridation to justify recommendations not supported by data, a puzzling action for a panel claiming to promote an “evidence-based approach” to care for national implementation. Including any of those endorsements, like the one from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), provides the textbook example of circular logic. The AAP based their endorsement on PHS/CDC endorsements of dietary fluoride from the discredited 1940s and 1950s trials…. trials that IFS was trying, unsuccessfully, to substantiate.
- Also in this email trail, Krishna Aravamudhan, the Asst Director of Evidence-Based Dentistry, on 2/22/2010 suggested it might be better to phrase the report so as to let the reader wonder if there was a connection between formula and fluorosis rather than imply it, although he stated on 3/2/2010 that there was a statistically significant association between elevated fluorides and reconstituted formula. On 5/3/10, Krishna states the thorny questions of the group on a call included, ‘How can we say mostly mild dental fluorosis in the report when 3% of the fluorosis cases in the Iowa study are moderate to severe?’ It seems that Krishna was personally fine with using “mostly” as the qualifier.
- Another email trail in these FOIA documents concerned the ADA and CDC co-sponsoring recommendations for topical fluorides, a continuation of the ‘successful ADA-CDC collaboration on many project over the last few years.’ Krishna Aravamudan of the ADA specifically complimented CDC staff, Dr. Barbara Gooch, Dr. Eugenio Beltran and Dr. Jennifer Cleveland of the CDC for their assistance to the ADA in their endeavors, most of which seem to be for the purpose of fluoride promotion. Jane McGinley, ADA Manager of Fluoridation and Dr. Wm Bailey of the Chief Dental Officer of the PHS were other primary stakeholders in these collaborations.
- 2011 Infant Formula Report: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21243832
- 2001 CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/Mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5014a1.htm
- 2007 Over 80% dentists got it wrong: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17899898
- 2015 FOIA: http://nidellaw.com/wp-content/uploads/FOIA2.pdf (formula exchange near end)
Baby Boomers, if you figure it's too late for you..... consider your grandchildren.
Tell the AARP you want a Position Paper in opposition to fluoridation, now!
“Community water fluoridation is a malignant medical myth!” - Dr. Joel Kauffman, Professor Emeritus in Chemistry (2006)
Fluoridation is unfair:
- 1. Since fluoridation causes approximately double the dental fluorosis in non-white populations, it is a Civil Rights and Environmental Justice issue.
- 2. Since fluoridation is harmful to susceptible populations that include the elderly, the very young, those with prolonged illness, and those with insufficient protein, calcium or vitamin C in their diets (the poor), it is a Human Rights issue.
- 3. Fluoridation ignores our rights & freedoms that include freedom of choice & informed medical consent.
- a. When fluoride is in municipal water, it is ubiquitous in our food supply making it impossible for us to avoid this drug.
- b. Fluoride is also absorbed through skin, and is an irritant for those with eczema and other skin conditions.
- 4. Fluoridation is NOT necessary to provide fluoride to the public. Saying so creates a false choice, i.e is flawed logic.
- a. If someone wants to ingest fluoride, they still have that option by adding drops to their own drinking water.
- b. Since fluoride is available in toothpaste and the only confirmed actual science of benefit states that high concentrations as in toothpaste make cavity causing bacteria “less sticky,” the 1940s justification for fluoridation is no longer valid.
- c. The argument about fluoridation benefiting poor children has been rejected by both the 2000 York Review and 2015 Cochrane Review of dental literature purporting SES benefit.
2015 Cochrane Review featured in Newsweek:
AARP, now is the time to take action. The science this century proving harm is robust and staggering. The 2014 and 2015 science alone is justification for writing a position paper opposing fluoridation.
My understanding is that the litigation over the Hooper Bay fluoridation overfeed is still not resolved. The city blames the State for making them fluoridate, and the State blames the city for doing the fluoridating.
It should be noted that in CA, the State chief fluoridaiton officer David Nelson (now retired) helped write the CA fluoridation law and forced Los Angeles to fluoridate in 2007. He actually told me that the Hoper Bay accident was not the fault of the water treatment facility. He claimed it was the victim's wife's fault! This is because she is a nurse and "should have known that the first sign of fluoride overdose is vomiting, so she should not have given him more water when he asked for more after vomiting."
I responded by saying there are many causes of vomiting, and why would anyone suspect the water supply when you tell cities that fluoridation is perfectly harmless? And are you telling me the wife went around the whole town of Hooper Bay and gave them fluoride poisoned water to drink so that all 302 people would be poisoned by it?
He realized how foolish he was being, stopped discussing it, and then said, "I only do what the CDC tells me to do."
Hence CA remains a state where fluoridation is an attempted mandate. But remember that there is no law that can mandate what violates Federal water law. And the CA law does not mention the source of fluoride material to be used, so the law is not actionable and is null and void. Further, the first line in the law makes the assumption that fluoride in water decreases incidence of caries. This has been fully disproven in vast studies, so the mandate has no actual meaning, is not legally binding, and is basically a worthless historical anecdote.
In fact, the CA Department of Public Health has written that no city is litigated if it does not fluoridate, and in their view it is the city itself that decides whether to fluoridate.
So all you CA city councils out there, go ahead and halt fluoridation, and nothing wrong will happen. Caries will not increase, because they were not reduced in the first place, and there is no State law that forces you to infuse this industrial hazardous waste.
That's interesting. I watched on the internet as the San Diego City Council voted to fluoridate even though they didn't want to, didn't understand it and the voters rejected it several times. The reason they voted in favor was that they were told if they didn't, they would be fined daily or weekly for not doing so.
Fluoridation was foisted on Californians in a stealthy manner - deliberately avoiding notification so citizens couldn't object and then they bragged about it in the California Dental Association journal
Nelson was one of the nastiest of fluoridationists.
The National Academy of Sciences 2006, The recent Cochrane Report, the Australian Review, the York Review, all agree - the quality of scientific research on the benefits and adverse health effects is surprisingly poor - considering that hexafluorosilicic acid, a known toxic waste product from the fertilizer industry and other industries (Aluminum and Oil) has been added to our clean water for over 50-60 years!
Fluoride was touted as a nutrient yet we know now that not one cell in our body needs the fluorine element to function properly, and in fact, it reduces thyroid function!
Why are we still paying the industries to dilute their toxic waste for a chemical that is not regulated by the FDA yet we drink this drug every day? If we don't drink fluoridated water, we get fluoride in our tea, our meat, our soda, wine, beer, anything that has been made with fluoridated water! Yet if we have arthritic pain, we do not get tested for fluoride over exposure. If we have memory loss, we do not get tested for fluoride overexposure. If we have reduced thyroid or reduced kidney function, no doctor routinely checks our exposure to fluoride, this untested, unregulated, unapproved drug.
By the American Dental Association still promoting water fluoridation, they are not doing their homework.
Please AARP - provide a task force that does it's own unbiased research on this and inform your members on your findings. We need to know.
We can't afford to wait for those who have endorsed water fluoridation to finally realize this has been a gross mistake and an immoral human experiment. I changed my professional opinion on water fluoridation only after realizing how I have been poisoned lifelong by many exposures to fluorides. Thank you CarryAnne for the great information you have posted.
At 60 years old, I have had a lifetime of uncontroled and unmonitored fluoride exposures including fluorine fumes working at a water treatment plant. I am a chemist and was responsible for making fluoride standards to measure the amount of (I didn't know then-TOXIC and INDUSTRIAL WASTE PRODUCT) HFSAcid added to Washington DC drinking water. At 60 years old, I suffered many health catastrophes many that are slowly reversing now 2 years avoiding fluoridated water for drinking or bathing, drugs, dental products etc.
I speak from painful personal experience. As AARP considers a stand on water fluoridation, please be advised you should have no confidence in the integrity the system that produced the 'science' of water fluoridation. (see numbered links below)
I am a biochemist involved with an experiment since 2005 on lead service lines supplying drinking water to homes in Washington DC (1). My dissenting opinion has been that industry research and compliance with U.S. Lead and Copper Rule (LCR)1991 systematically underestimates lead contamination of drinking water(2). I have been recognized as a whistleblower (3). EPA has continued for years ignoring my input (4). Recent studies in 2013 (5) confirm my concerns (6). I also suffer painful, serious health effects and consequences of 60 years exposure to fluoridation chemicals made apparent to me only since May 2013 (7), perhaps exasperated by fluorine gas I was exposed to at the water treatment plant in Washington DC.
The US EPA, CDC, municipalities, and water utilities continue to this day, as they have for decades, to mislead the public about their true exposure to lead in drinking water leaching from lead service lines and the real possibility that fluoridation chemicals increase lead leaching from lead service lines still often used in older sections of major US cities.. THIS IS THE SAME SYSTEM that produced the 'science' of water fluoridation replete with decades of willful blindness, bias, grants for preconceived research results, repression of true scientists, propaganda slogans, down playing of negative health effects, professional bullying, junk science techniques, cherry picking data, fraud, powerful corrupt politics, and industrial interests.
To unduly threaten the health of seniors with water fluoridation based on schemes that masquerade as true science is foolishness indeed.
Fluoride Free Alaska (a facebook group)
Links and additional comments:
(1). http://www.waterrf.org/PublicReportLibrary/91229.pdf starting at C-87 Washington Aqueduct Lead Service Line Pilot Study. Misrepresented and miscalculated lead release from lead service lines by 4000%.
(2). http://water.epa.gov/drink/ndwac/upload/ndwacdec11122013.pdf Comments by SKanen to National Drinking Water Advisory Council
(3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apZynV7lfic at 12:43 Dr Marc Edwards of Virginia Tech mentions Sue Kanen as a whistleblower in the DC Lead in Drinking Water scandal
(4) http://www.epa.gov/dclead/corrosion_research.htm Minutes of EPA conference calls, Susan Kanen participated since 2011
(5) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23879429 Environ Sci Technol. 2013 Aug 20;47(16):9300-7. doi: 10.1021/es4003636. Epub 2013 Aug 2.
Detection and evaluation of elevated lead release from service lines: a field study. Del Toral MA1, Porter A, Schock MR. Abstract: Comparative stagnation sampling conducted in 32 homes in Chicago, Illinois with lead service lines demonstrated that the existing regulatory sampling protocol under the U.S. Lead and Copper Rule systematically misses the high lead levels and potential human exposure.
(6) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2Y4LI49R4 Lead in Drinking Water Sampling Manipulation 3 minute video by SKanen demonstrating my concerns on lead leaching from lead service lines.
(7) I was exposed to fluorine gas in the basement at the water treatment plant in 2005 (HF etched glass and corroded window and door frames until they collapsed) My lungs and throat burned, I lost sense of taste and smell, had nausea and shortness of breath,and brain fog. Nevertheless, I had no idea I was being exposed to HF in the air at the point the fluoridation chemicals are added to drinking water. Fluoride is an accumulative poison, I continued my lifelong consumption of fluoridated water, food and exposure while bathing, swimming, and in hot tubs. I have dental fluorosis as a child of a military dentist. Front teeth have veneers. Uterine fibroids and prolapse. Multiple internal hernias. In 2007, I was hospitalized with acute pancreatitis, two emergency room visits in Sept 2012 with a 0.7 mm kidney stone, diagnosis of degeneration of hip and lower spine, elevated serum calcium and parathyroid hormone, parathyroidectomy of 5200 mg in Nov 2012 with persistent elevated parathyroid hormone, osteoarthritis required hip replacement in Aug 2013, osteopenia, painful multinodual calcified goiter of the thyroid with hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms, autoimmune thyroiditis, GERD and irritation of GI and urinary tract, Barrett's esophagus, calcified ligaments with X-ray evidence of calcification of the interosseous membrane of the forearm, phleboliths, bilateral renal cysts, enlarged heart, fatigue not relieved by rest, neurological symptoms such as numbness, anxiety, forgetfulness, perhaps pre- Alzheimer symptoms-just to name a few classic responses to fluoride intoxication. None of my AMA doctors had a clue what was wrong with me. As a biochemist, I finally speculated I might be fluoride poisoned. I insisted on getting a fluoride analysis of the deformed head of my femur bone sawed off during hip replacement. It measured 1500 ppm fluoride of ashed bone weight, pointing to the diagnosis of the initial stage of skeletal fluorosis. My medical bills 2012-2014 were almost $150,000. Fluoride is a lifelong accumulative toxin and slowly harms and, if exposure is excessive, eventually destroys every human organ system for everyone in water fluoridated or non-fluoridated areas alike. It really is absolute foolishness to add more fluoride to drinking water. I did not give my consent to be an experimental toxic waste dump for the last 60 years! Now since May 2013 avoiding fluoride, I am slowly getting better.My thyroid has shunk to 61% of the goiter of two years ago, antibodies against thyroid are reduced, my parathyroid hormone level is now midrange normal after persistently elevated levels post parathyroidectomy, no reoccurrance of kidney stones, less GI irritation and less neurological symptoms like numbness, anxiety, lack of ability to concentrate. and forgetfulness, less pain.
Fluoride toxicity symptoms are threantening to steal away the golden years of the 'baby boomers', the first generation to be experimental subjects to lifelong water fluoridation.
AARP act now!!!
”Fluoridation is the greatest case of scientific fraud of this century, if not of all time." - Dr. Robert Carton, EPA (1992)
Thank you Susan Kanen for your comment above!
AARP - Are you reading this?
- EXCERPT: "None of my AMA doctors had a clue what was wrong with me. As a biochemist, I finally speculated I might be fluoride poisoned. I insisted on getting a fluoride analysis of the deformed head of my femur bone sawed off during hip replacement. It measured 1500 ppm fluoride of ashed bone weight, pointing to the diagnosis of the initial stage of skeletal fluorosis. My medical bills 2012-2014 were almost $150,000....... I did not give my consent to be an experimental toxic waste dump for the last 60 years! Now since May 2013 avoiding fluoride, I am slowly getting better. My thyroid has shunk to 61% of the goiter of two years ago, antibodies against thyroid are reduced, my parathyroid hormone level is now midrange normal after persistently elevated levels post parathyroidectomy, no reoccurrance of kidney stones, less GI irritation and less neurological symptoms like numbness, anxiety, lack of ability to concentrate. and forgetfulness, less pain."
This is a really great article: please help get this neurotoxin out of our water, and our food.
I am starting a coalition against artificial fluoridation in NYC - please email email@example.com if you are interested in helping getting the word out - this stuff is toxic, not a nutrient, not safe and we shouldn't be drinking it!
Dr. Richard Sauerheber who added a post in this thread is a chemist, college professor and researcher who has published some excellent work on the toxicity of industrial fluoride in drinking water. As a result of his research, he has written letters opposing fluoridation to the FDA and other regulatory agencies, urging they take action, i.e. actually consider science to regulate the industries in order protect the health of the public:
- 2013 Publication: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3690253/
- 2010-2011 Letters: http://www.fluoride-class-action.com/ask-dr-sauerheber
Thank you, doctor!
“When industry and government agree, people suffer.” - Proverb
"Fluoride is an enzyme poison, in the same class as cyanide, oxalate, or azide ... it is capable of a very wide variety of harmful effects, even at low doses. It is a scientific disgrace that a well organized lobby of the American Dental Association ever managed to stampede American legislators into ignoring the highly technical but very cogent objection to fluoridation." - James B. Patrick, Ph.D., antibiotics research scientist at National Institute of Health
Latest study on fluoride concerns its capacity to cause INFLAMMATIONS even at very small exposure level, such as that from water fluoridation. I especially like this key finding, "Long-term exposure to fluoride may affect activities of many enzymes."
Do we really want a drug that interferes with the normal functioning of our enzymes, as well as causing or worsening inflammations to be an ubiquitous contaminant in our water and food?
- 2015 in Toxicology in Vitro. Fluoride as a factor initiating and potentiating inflammation in THP1 differentiated monocytes/macrophages
Baby Boomers - this is your life and the lives of your children, grandchildren, and g-grandchildren at risk. DO SOMETHING!
Contact the AARP, your politicians, the White House.... tell them to get the F* out of our water.... Municipalities can use the financial savings to replace ineffective and dangerous chloramine which also kills enzymes and causes disease with a more effective and safe disinfectant alternative. And you can use the better quality of life and lower doctors bills to enjoy life.
For those who like visuals, this 1955 film shows what happens to enzymes in human blood with fluoride concentrations consistent with drinking a glass of "optimally" fluoridated water.
This enzyme death in the blood explains why some of us experience Chizzola maculae, a distinctive bruise like hive that affects a minority of women and children in the early stages of fluoride poisoning. It's an abnormal blood coagulation and the destruction of blood vessels, an autoimmune reaction.
- 1978 Major Fluoride Symptoms: https://fluorideinformationaustralia.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/flier_waldbott_symptoms_ftgd.pdf
- 1977 Blood Clotting in Patients with Chizzola Maculae. Fluoride. vol.10:1. p 29-33. http://www.fluorideresearch.org/101/files/FJ1977_v10_n1_p001-044.pdf
"When a statistical analysis of 1,000 children was conducted in London, and results were not as fluoridation proponents wanted, the study was quickly abandoned." - Dr. Malcolm Naylor, 1987 winner of Tomes Medal for imminence in dental research
- 2015 Cochrane review of dental studies: http://www.cochrane.org/CD010856/ORAL_water-fluoridation-to-prevent-tooth-decay
- 2015 Newsweek article on Cochrane review: http://www.newsweek.com/fluoridation-may-not-prevent-cavities-huge-study-shows-348251
- 2015 Opposition: http://www.earthclinic.com/news/why-the-us-should-ban-fluoride-in-drinking-water-by-jason-uttley.htm...
Write the AARP and your local newspaper! Tell them that Cochrane confirms the dentists are lying and that you side with consumer adovcate Erin Brockovich, Civil Rights leaders, and 21st century researchers like the Harvard team of neuroscientists in opposing fluoridation as a Human Rights violation!
I'm starting a coalition in NYC Against Artificial Fluoridation - Fluoride in not a nutrient, we shoudn't be exposing ourselves to neurotoxins by drinking the toxic waste product of the fertilizer industry. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
“Industry has learned that debating the science is much easier and more effective than debating the policy. In field after field, year after year, conclusions that might support regulation are always disputed. Animal data are deemed not relevant, human data not representative, and exposure data not reliable.” - David Michaels, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health, in “Doubt Is Their Product” (2008)
Prof. Rita Barnett-Rose of Chapman University includes a nice mix of science and law in her 2014 legal analysis of the U.S. fluoridation policy. She concludes, "The evidence continues to suggest that compulsory water fluoridation is no longer justifiable as a public health benefit.... the cessation of all compulsory water fluoridation schemes should be the goal of all public health agencies, ethical lawmakers, and informed citizens."
Phone, email or write the AARP directly. Tell them they need to step up and write a position statement opposing fluoridation, for the sake of the elderly, those in fragile health, pregnant women and their fetuses, and the very young.
Erin Brockovich has just put the government on big notice of their shortcomings in interpreting science and protecting the health of American citizens. Please take time to read this document about fluoridation. This is one of the very the best documents/ letters we have seen. The references are great; the critical thinking is excellent, and the range and depth she covers are compelling. And, it has some 'teeth'. Just read the first 2 pages if you are short on time. Read Letter
I suggest the Signature page (p 16) and the Questions attachment (last page) provide the best summary of this 24 page document, but go ahead, read the whole thing. It's worth your time!
Thanks for the support!
Unfortuanately large cities such as NYC are mandated by Public Health programs to fluoridate the public water supply, even though the American Dental Association has not done it's homework: no large scale review of the scientific literature has shown that fluoride is safe and it also hasn't shown that it is effective: See the recent Cochrane Oral Health Review, National Academy of Science and The York Review for more details of studies showing adverse health effects.
This is what I just sent to AARP's Media contact email:
I am one of a growing number of very concerned citizens now asking your organization, at this very critical moment in human history, to write a position statement opposing fluoridation.
Very simply, artificial fluoridation of our public water supplies is unconstitutional and unlawful mass medication of a non-consensual population. Introduced while the country rode the long booming wave of the post–World War II economic expansion, this "medication," which has been touted as the wonder drug of the dental health community, is in fact a mass poisoning orchestrated by the some members of government and big business. This partnership, long in cahoots, has mutually beneficial and allied agendas: keep the public at large, unhealthy but just healthy enough not to die right away but be kept tied to the healthcare system and in pharmaceutical dependence.
This is no longer conspiracy theory: this conspiracy is a fact. Fluoride is, for a fact, an industrial waste that is produced in great amounts which has been brilliantly been being disposed of for over 45 year by way of dilution for profit as it is sold back to the public for consumption. You will not die immediately from these "very low levels" but in time, it will accumulate in your organs and something will give... you and your family will accept this as the normal aging process in a modern world where people are living longer and longer... but are we really going to become blasé about end-stage renal failure, parathyroid disease, and the like?
Please help by demanding they get the F(luoride) out of OUR water!
Sometimes, by the time you get to 50 or 60, people seem to think it is time to be in poor health, need a joint replacement, have thyroid dysfunction and diabetes. With all the evidence of Fluoride being an endocrine dysrupter and known to Fluoride deposits in our bones, I imagine if AARP would take a long hard look at this topic, you would have numerous supporters from all walks of life. The young people of the nation are beginning to see the illogical addition of Fluoride to our water supply and are shaking their heads at us older adults wondering why we let this continue for so long.
http://www.inspq.qc.ca/pdf/publications/705-WaterFluoration.pdf p 47
Academy of Dentistry International
Academy of General Dentistry
Academy for Sports Dentistry
America's Health Insurance Plans
American Academy of Family Physicians
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Academy of Pediatrie Dentistry
American Academy of Periodontology
American Academy of Physician Assistants
American Association for Community Dental Programs
American Association for Dental Research
American Association for Health Education
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Water Fluoridation: An Analysis of the Health Benefits and Risks
Institut national de santé publique du Québec 37
American Association of Endodontists
American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
American Association of Orthodontists
American Association of Public Health Dentistry
American Association of Women Dentists
American Cancer Society
American College of Dentists
American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine
American College of Preventive Medicine
American College of Prosthodontists
American Council on Science and Health
American Dental Assistants Association
American Dental Association
American Dental Education Association
American Dental Hygienists' Association
American Dietetic Association
American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations
American Hospital Association
American Institute of Nutrition
American Legislative Exchange Council
American Medical Association
American Nurses Association
American Osteopathic Association
American Pharmaceutical Association
American Pharmacists Association
American Public Health Association
American School Health Association
American Society for Clinical Nutrition
American Society for Nutritional Sciences
American Student Dental Association
American Veterinary Medical Association
American Water Works Association
Water Fluoridation: An Analysis of the Health Benefits and Risks
38 Institut national de santé publique du Québec
Association for Academic Health Centers
Association of American Medical Colleges
Association of Clinicians for the Underserved
Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs
Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors
Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
Association of State and Territorial Public Health
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council NHMRC
Australian Dental Association ADA
Australian Health Ministers' Conference
Australia New South Wales Department of Health
British Dental Association
British Fluoridation Society
British Medical Association
Center for Science in the Public Interest
Child Welfare League of America
Consumer Federation of America
Children's Dental Health Project
Consumer Federation of America
Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists
Delta Dental Plans Association
European Organization for Caries Research
Fédération Dentaire Internationale FDI
Federation of American Hospitals
Food and Nutrition Board
Great Britain Ministry of Health
Health Insurance Association of America
Hispanic Dental Association
Indian Dental Association U.S.A.
Institute of Medicine
International Association for Dental Research
Water Fluoridation: An Analysis of the Health Benefits and Risks
Institut national de santé publique du Québec 39
International Association for Orthodontics
International College of Dentists
March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
National Academy of Science
National Association of Community Health Centers
National Association of County and City Health Officials
National Association of Dental Assistants
National Association of Local Boards of Health
National Association of Social Workers
National Cancer Institute
National Confectioners Association
National Council Against Health Fraud
National Dental Assistants Association
National Dental Association
National Dental Hygienists' Association
National Down Syndrome Congress
National Down Syndrome Society
National Eating Disorders Association
National Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped
National Health Council
National Head Start Association
National Health Law Program
National Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition
New Zealand Ministry of Health
Oral Health America
Pan American Health Organization
Public Health Association of Australia
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Royal College of Physicians London
Society for Public Health Education
Society of American Indian Dentists
Special Care Dentistry
The Children's Health Fund
The Dental Health Foundation of California
U.S. Department of Defense
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
U.S. Public Health Service
U.S. Surgeon General
Health Resources and Services Administration HRSA
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC
Food and Drug Administration FDA
Indian Health Service
Health Resources and Services Administration HRSA
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research NIDCR
World Federation of Orthodontists
World Health Organization
Quebec Order of dentists
Quebec order of dental hygienists
Quebec college of physicians
Québec Association of Pediatricians
Quebec order of pharmacists
Quebec Federation of family physicians
Coalition Of Physicians for Social Justice
McGill University Faculty of Dentistry
Montreal Public Health Department
Quebec association of public health dentists
Montreal Children’s Hospital Council of Community Pediatricians
Montreal Children’ Hospital Child Development Program
Quebec dental academy
St-Justine Hospital department of pediatics
St-Justine Hospital university center
Table de concertation des hygienistes dentaires en sante communautaire des régions
Montreal, Laval, Laurentides et Lanaudiere
Montreal Research Centre on Social Inequalities in Health
University of Montreal department of social and preventive medicine
Dental association for disabled people
Quebec department of health and social services
Quebec department of environment
Canadian Association of Dental Public Health
Canadian Dental Association
Canadian Dental Hygienist Association
Canadian Medical Association
Canadian Nurses Association
Canadian Pediatric Society
Canadian Public Health Association
"The evidence against the safety of this public health policy will keep mounting and never disappear again. My ignorance of fluoride in the beginning was a matter of chance. If you ignore this evidence today, it will be a matter of choice.” - Dr. Phyllis Mullenix, Head Toxicologist at Forsyth Dental Center (1999)
See TODAY's study published in Environmental Health that correlates ADHD (hyperactivity) in children with fluoridation. This is only the latest in 20 years of studies on animals and humans proving that fluoride in utero or youth not only permanently mottles the teeth of some children, but also permanently scrambles their brains:
- 2015 Ecologic study: http://www.ehjournal.net/content/14/1/17/abstract
- 1995 Animal study: http://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/mullenix-1995.pdf
I recommend this 1996 talk by Dr. Phyllis Mullenix, the author of the 1995 study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hci7BnWydAo
Fluoridation is wrecking our health and the health of our grandkids!
Phone and write AARP... tell them to take a stand against water fluoridation, now!
“The addition of fluorides to drinking water was, and is, a mistake.” - Dr. Robert Isaacson, 2006 National Research Council Scientist (2007)
Did you see this week's Newsweek article on a nationwide English study?
People living in fluoridated communities have significantly higher incidences of low thyroid. Over 50% more incidence in "optimally" fluoridated communities than in communities with <.3 ppm. http://www.newsweek.com/water-fluoridation-may-increase-risk-underactive-thyroid-disorder-309173
That's not surprising. There are studies from the early 20th century connecting various thyroid and parathyroid conditions with fluorides in the water and mottled teeth. The 2006 NRC also confirmed that fluoride even at low concentrations disrupts endocrine function, i.e. thyroid hormones. Sadly, gung-ho dentists urged on by business who stood to profit convinced government that fluoride was some sort of magic bullet.
Fluoridation is wrecking our health and the health of our grandkids!
Phone and write AARP... tell them to take a stand against water fluoridation, now!