Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Breaking Bad Brain Habits

Did you know there are daily routines that could be undermining your cognition? Check out The 7 Worst Habits for Your Brain to learn more.

Weโ€™ve all been stuck in a rut before. Itโ€™s important to recognize that youโ€™ve adopted an unhealthy daily habit to get yourself out of it. What do you do to alter your harmful behavior?

Iโ€™ve been trying to be better about checking my phone constantly. Thereโ€™s so much going on and I often find myself overwhelmed, yet unable to turn away. It stems from my anxiety, and the habit is triggered by certain newsworthy happenings. On way Iโ€™ve been training myself to curb this habit is by setting boundaries with social media. I leave my phone on another table, on silent and facedown when Iโ€™m working to avoid getting sucked in. When something anxiety-inducing happens, I take a walk outside to process and clear my mind.

Share ways youโ€™ve kicked bad habits by leaving a reply. Learn additional ways to take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp today.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

i don't really think about it. if something dosen't work for me i just go on to something else, no problem but if it is something i like i try to make it work. if it dosen't i then try something different. that simple. as for being in a rut, i "try" to stay in a familiar setting. i hate change & try to stay in a comfortable setting but i do change if something better comes along. 

Contributor

I find I can break a bad habit more quickly if I replace it with a different, more positive action.  Ex:  Instead of automatically getting up for a snack [for example during a TV commercial] without really even deciding if I am bored vs hungry  I stand up and do about 60 seconds of exercise  [using 10-15 reps of something really simple] then sit back down at least until the next commercial break.  I do this each time I am tempted to go snack until I reach a point where I am truly hungry.

Community Manager
Community Manager

That is excellent advice @g373896p! What a great way to train yourself to be more present rather than just going through the motions. Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I used to head for the refrige for a beer and/or snack every commercial break in the football game.  Now it wasnโ€™t easy but I have forced myself to wait until the second break!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Lol little things can add up @2Papa ๐Ÿป

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP