Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Breaking Bad Brain Habits

Did you know there are daily routines that could be undermining your cognition? Check out The 7 Worst Habits for Your Brain to learn more.

We’ve all been stuck in a rut before. It’s important to recognize that you’ve adopted an unhealthy daily habit to get yourself out of it. What do you do to alter your harmful behavior?

I’ve been trying to be better about checking my phone constantly. There’s so much going on and I often find myself overwhelmed, yet unable to turn away. It stems from my anxiety, and the habit is triggered by certain newsworthy happenings. On way I’ve been training myself to curb this habit is by setting boundaries with social media. I leave my phone on another table, on silent and facedown when I’m working to avoid getting sucked in. When something anxiety-inducing happens, I take a walk outside to process and clear my mind.

Share ways you’ve kicked bad habits by leaving a reply. Learn additional ways to take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp today.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

i don't really think about it. if something dosen't work for me i just go on to something else, no problem but if it is something i like i try to make it work. if it dosen't i then try something different. that simple. as for being in a rut, i "try" to stay in a familiar setting. i hate change & try to stay in a comfortable setting but i do change if something better comes along. 

Contributor

I find I can break a bad habit more quickly if I replace it with a different, more positive action.  Ex:  Instead of automatically getting up for a snack [for example during a TV commercial] without really even deciding if I am bored vs hungry  I stand up and do about 60 seconds of exercise  [using 10-15 reps of something really simple] then sit back down at least until the next commercial break.  I do this each time I am tempted to go snack until I reach a point where I am truly hungry.

Community Manager
Community Manager

That is excellent advice @g373896p! What a great way to train yourself to be more present rather than just going through the motions. Thanks for sharing!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I used to head for the refrige for a beer and/or snack every commercial break in the football game.  Now it wasn’t easy but I have forced myself to wait until the second break!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Lol little things can add up @2Papa 🍻

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP