Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Social Butterfly

Brain Dump For The Sake Of Sleep

One thing that currently fills me with gratitude is the number of PBS channels my T.V. antenna picks up...far far more than I ever got with cable T.V. alone.  Anyway, two of the channels I get have been running a bunch of Lucy Worsley and reruns of the Ben Franklin biographical series from a few years ago. 

After watching Lucy's account of the brutal injustice done upon one Agnes Sampson, some of the things Mr. Franklin said have taken on a deeper meaning:

To be proud of virtue, is to poison yourself with the Antidote.

(As Silence Dogood commenting on parents sending their children to Harvard) I reflected in my Mind on the extream Folly of those Parents, who, blind to their Childrens Dulness, and insensible of the Solidity of their Skulls, because they think their Purses can afford it, will needs send them to the Temple of Learning, where, for want of a suitable Genius, they learn little more than how to carry themselves handsomely, and enter a Room genteely, (which might as well be acquir’d at a Dancing-School,) and from whence they return, after Abundance of Trouble and Charge, as great Blockheads as ever, only more proud and self-conceited.

This [the U.S. Constitution] is likely to be administered for a course of years and then end in despotism... when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

A virtuous heretic shall be saved before a wicked Christian.

Disclaimer:

This opinion is not of a political nature, it is a socio/cultural comment.

And hopefully a helpful one.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP