Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Affordable online mental health providers?

Contributor

Affordable online mental health providers?

Mental health therapists and counselors in my area are overworked and overloaded with patients. Especially since the covid pandemic. This means it’s nearly impossible to find a mental health professional to help those of us who are not in immediate crisis and/or harm. As someone who has clinical depressions, ADHD, and anxiety disorders, I haven’t been able to see or speak to a therapist in over 2 years. My last counselor relocated and no one is able to take new patients. 

Are there any online therapists that accept Medicare or provide reasonable rates for those who need it?

Yes! Medicare does cover Telehealth Counseling services.  Locate a therapist in the state that you live.  If you live in Florida, I recommend, A Better You Counseling & Wellness.  They provide telehealth services throughout the State of Florida and accept several insurance plans.  The website is ABetterYouSWFL.com for more information.   

0 Kudos
Contributor

It has been over a year since you posted, I hope you were successful in finding someone for yourself.   My company, CVS Minuteclinic, really got it that people were having such a hard time finding therapy, and created its own program around 2 years ago.  It's rolling out state by state.  We are in-network for Medicare, so there's just a small copay.   All of us are licensed mental health professionals, and we see people both in person and via telehealth from anywhere in our states.  People can self-schedule via our website.   Go for it, if you haven't found someone already.    Best wishes,  Su Siegelman LCSW (in PA)

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I have tried Talkspace and Better Help.  They are both a tiny bit of help, but really a far cry from sitting down with an actual therapist.

I have also had Zoom meetings with a therapist online.  Those were fine.

In my case, I have Medicare.  Very few providers really want to engage with patients on that.  So, my experiences were not all that good.  But others might find some help that way.

Regular Contributor

Go to Find A Therapist Psychology Today. You can put in your zip code and what kind of insurance you take.

Contributor

I'm trying that now.  Thank you!  My adult autistic son has been mentally torturing us for years now & I can no longer take it.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

---- very very sorry about your difficulties.

I don't know if this resource would help you, but my friend was a staff member at Earth House in New Brunswick, NJ.

---- from their website:

Earth House is a model residential healthcare facility for those suffering from major mental disorders such as Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder.

Located in East Millstone, a rural community near Princeton, New Jersey, Earth House accommodates a maximum of 14 residents. Earth House maintains an age policy where the minimum age is 18, and the maximum age is at the discretion of the administration. The minimum stay is three months; the average length of stay is eight months; the maximum stay is two years. Most residents have had multiple diagnoses and have been previously hospitalized, some for 10 years or more. Many have a history of suicide attempts.

Earth House combines a medical and an educational approach. Medicines and nutrients are prescribed by physicians. To complement medical healthcare,  the program requires a wholesome diet, daily exercise and the development of habits that will assist recovery and support continued good health. Because of the strong learning orientation, residents are referred to as students rather than patients.

The Earth House staff includes professionals with credentials in psychology,  psychotherapy, social work, and biochemistry. There are also teachers of nutrition, exercise, arts, crafts, dance, drama, writing, and literature. Orthomolecular physicians supervise the medical healthcare of the students. A visiting nurse, a chiropractor, and an acupuncturist are also available.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

---- "Go to Find A Therapist" at the website of  Psychology Today.
You can put in your zip code and what kind of insurance you take.

The resource listed above is absolutely a professional resource.  I had that confirmed by a staff person in a major mental health organization.

There are indeed online therapy options available that can be more accessible and affordable. Many online therapists and platforms offer a range of services, and some accept Medicare or provide reasonable rates. It might take a bit of research, but you can find a solution that works for you.Additionally, exploring therapy options like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which you can learn more about at Mental Health, can be beneficial. CBT focuses on practical techniques to manage mental health conditions.Remember, taking steps to prioritize your mental well-being is crucial, and there are resources out there to help you on your journey.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP