Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Hartford Insurance

I have had some serious issues with Hartford in the last month. They substantially raised our rates. It is nearly impossible to contact an agent, and, if you have umbrella insurance you CANNOT get information about renewals, which in my case is on 6/1/2022. I went to consumer reports and found that Hartford is way down low in the ratings. I now switched to another company in the top 5 consumer report ratings and have saved over $1100 in my home, auto and umbrella plus very easy access to an agent. So AARP, you should consider your recommendation with HARTFORD.  Based on the comments I have seen is a common post on Hartford. I have lost my confidence in AARP to recommend any kind of provider. Buyer beware with AARP, including Hartford.

I was happy with the Hartford sales person.  But then I moved from NY to DE and they increased my policy over 150%!! I was horrified especially since driving in DE is so much more mellow than NY.  So I found a much cheaper policy- Geico- and then canceled my policy.  When I canceled I was told that I would get 376.00 back.  When I got the check for only 148.00 less, I called the company.  There was no explanation of why I got so little back of my pre-paid insurance costs and they said that it was the discretion of the Hartford to refund me what they wanted!  I felt that this is unlawful and I wish that AARP should NOT indorse this company!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You can always contact AARP for help if there's an issue with an AARP provider. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/) to contact us by phone, chat or text. Please include the following:

•            Description of your issue
  •            Mention that you are requesting an escalation

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Indeed. AARP touts Hartford's Homeowners insurance as a member benefit, but it is not a benefit shared equally by all members. Hartford will not offer homeowners insurance under the program for property located in Louisiana. This is a classic "redlining" practice where a company wishes to write some coverages in a state, e.g., auto, but doesn't want anything that might create much of a risk to the bottom line. If not illegal in all jurisdictions, it is certainly unethical, and not in keeping with the guiding principles to which most insurers aspire. AARP needs to disclose this in its "state availability" portion of its disclosures.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP