Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Consumer Cellular issues

My wife and I had cell service through them, but we have had nothing but problems. The service worked, but the company is non responsive. They were over billing us when we dropped my wife from the plan. Then trying to contact them through chat, it is constantly overwhelmed and unavailable. I had to call them twice and was put on hold for more than 1 hour, finally it came back and asked me if I wanted a call back, TWO and A HALF days later! I accepted that stupidity.

But now I get emails and regular snail mail to UPGRADE my service. They never said it was only because the main carrier was stopping 3G. But they continue to hammer me when my phone is already 4 G. Plus the phone they are pushing is not a brand name. Seems like the only thing they want is money and to discourage you from complaining about the quality of their service, or the total failure in customer service. I will be leaving them, they are just not worth it and I would like to know why AARP doesn't seem to be looking out for its members..

Contributor

I have been having the same problems with CC. I also have a 4G phone( not purchased through CC) and not getting service now. Spent over 2 hours on phone with customer service and spoke with 3 different reps. Got 3 different stories. I reiterated over and over again, that my phone is  set at a 4G, not 3G and it was working just fine until 2 days ago. First, I was told my phone isn't on the list of phones covered by the new roll out. What?  The next one told me I cold buy a new phone from them. The 3rd one told me I could switch my SIM Card sent to me by CC to TMobile. Removed old SIM which is  ATT and replaced with TMobile while on hold for the 4th time by the 3rd rep. Waited for rep to activate new SIM. Then he came back on line and told me CC is no longer using TMobile. What?  This  company  is ineffective, has useless customer service and only wants our money. Chat is unavailable  yet again today. AARP needs to stop promoting this company. I am more than miffed and disgusted. Am switching over  to Mint.

0 Kudos
Retired Moderator

Hi there, you can always contact us for help if you have an issue with an AARP provider or benefit. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Consumer Cellular on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please call us at 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277) or send me a private message and include the following:

• AARP membership # or home address
  • Phone # and email address
  • Description of your issue
  • Please mention that you are requesting an escalation

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

I switched to CC because of the advertised rate and BECAUSE it was seemingly endorsed by AARP, who i believe to be a reliable advocate.  Just after signing up for a plan (3g max data), they increased me to a 10G plan which, presumably meant that i exceeded my plan and was to be bumped up to the next one.  Of course, had to sign up for autopay for another discount, so when i notice the increased charge of over $10 a month, i logged in, tried to resolve, but had to get back to work. Today, I checked past usage and NEVER exceeded my 3G so should not have been bumped.  i got on chat with a helpful person who said.. oh, we eliminated the 3g plan and so put you on the 10G plan (not the 5G?) and have been overcharging me since just after i signed up.  initially offered a one time $10 credit for THIS MONTH.  and i questioned that... why not since you started overcharging... and so expanded the credit to 3 months ($30 more bucks). Said "it is the customer's responsbilty to report overbilling". Agree.. but right after I sign up?... and i tried once but sat so long waiting on chat I had to get back to work.  I expect more of AARP membership to be my watchdog. i know my AARP state director, recognize it's a big enterprise... but if you are going to do somthing... do it right. You have a lot of 65+ people depending on you not to let scammers do bait and switches.  I do not intend to get on a phone and sit and wait for customer service... You've got enough complaints to get someone on the fix.  Thank you. 

0 Kudos

We absolutely love CC. Customer service is top notch. Only one problem. I purchased an Apple Watch with GPS calling capability and CC doesnโ€™t offer service. I fell & my watch wanted to call EMS but since I didnโ€™t have my phone to piggyback from, it was a no go. I would have to get a separate carrier for my watch and really donโ€™t want to do that. CC told me they have no plans to carry the watch/calling feature which is sad as more older people are relying on this wonderful tool. Could you put a bug in their ear for me?

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

Hi Sara! I am here to help. I have added your suggestion GPS calling capability for the Apple Watch to our Voice of the Consumer feedback for Consumer Cellular where we discuss member concerns and ideas. We appreciate your membership! Thank you and have a wonderful day and Thanksgiving holiday!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi @jvfabian, we are sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with Consumer Cellular. You can always contact AARP for help if you have an issue with an AARP provider. AARP would be glad to help by reaching out to Consumer Cellular on your behalf to thoroughly investigate. Please use this link (https://help.aarp.org/s/contactsupport) to submit a web help form and include the following information:
โ€ข Description of your issue (what you have written is acceptable)

โ€ข Include your contact information and Consumer Cellular phone #
โ€ข Please mention that you are requesting an escalation
We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you informing us of your concern. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP