Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Social Butterfly

Why No Cooking Forum?

The elderly should pass down recipes.

Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky Maybe a cooking forum in general, then be able to branch off into types of cooking i.e. Basic or beginner cooking, DASH, family favorites, five ingredient cooking, Keto, Mediterranean, Paleo, plant-based, etc.   People could leave their recipes and tips and tricks for the different types. Maybe limit to just a few "branches" to start.  Christine

Trusted Social Butterfly

One of the longest threads in AARP history was "What is your Favorite Cookie?".

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Healthy-Living/What-is-your-favorite-cookie/td-p/1890331

Since you are a psychologist, tell me why so many people enjoy telling each other what they like to eat but not how to make it.  It seems pretty pointless to me.

Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky Just a BA in psychology/gerontology, no advance degrees.  So calling myself a psychologist is flattering, but really not accurate. But pretty good at seeing human nature.  Maybe they didn't Make ( cook, bake ) it and don't know the recipe. Lots of people like to eat, but don't like to cook.  Or it's an "old family recipe passed down from generation to generation" and don't want to give it away. Or it's not the right format or forum to do it.  Or it's a complicated recipe and they don't want to type it all down. Just doing a little morning brain storming. Getting a recipe is easy.  Finding a good one that someone could discuss, harder.  It's about the follow up dialogue that the recipe brings.  That is something interesting.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Rhymesometimes @aruzinsky We used to have a Recipes forum for awhile but users didn’t participate as we anticipated. Perhaps topics may do better individually under the Healthy Living and Leisure & Lifestyle forums. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky  I see, in the short time I've been fairly active in the on-line community, the "traffic" in general is not any where as high as I thought it would be.  The old adage "Give the people what they want."  The question is what do the people want?  btw, I think it would be great to have forums on cooking. We all have to eat, and sometimes we get into a rut cooking the same things over and other.  The anthem cry of "What's for dinner is universal?" But maybe more specific.  Vegetarian don't want to slog through a "cooking" forum if it doesn't relate to their lifestyle for example. My new husband is mostly vegetarian, so there has been a learning curve for me to adjust to that.  There is so much potential @aruzinsky  what do people want? Keep Bringing your humor, much needed, much appreciated.   Christine

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! We have attempted this in the past and it didn't do as well as we had hoped, but I think the Healthy Living forum would be a perfect place for you and others to post things of this nature. 

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

That kind of makes sense...though some of the most delicious foods would really fall under the category of "healthy". Lol!!

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MarkV847771 - Haha, good point - Maybe those can go under Leisure & Lifestyle.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Yeah, spending Saturdays on the back patio, smoking a 10lb pork shoulder, while drinking a few beers is definitely Leisure & Lifestyle! 🙂

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com
Social Butterfly

Yum!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like a good time to me!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP