Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The media is not the problem. Lies are the problem.

Regular Contributor

The media is not the problem. Lies are the problem.

Many times we see the truth and still deny it. We have to start calling a lie a lie. 

Sometimes we hear the truth and still deny it. We have to start calling a lie a lie. 

Opinions are just that. Everyone has their opinion and they are welcome to it. But, we have to start calling a lie a lie. Wether stupidity or just plain oneryness lies are killing a lot of people. I know itโ€™s not nice to call someone a lier. However, minding your manners while someone spreads lies that cause death is no longer acceptable.

The media is telling the truth. Even Fox News personnel are vaccinated. Do not not keep silent when someone claims the media cannot be trusted.  They are lying.  The media can be trusted when they say vaccines save lives.

Trusted Social Butterfly

This is such a relevant topic I keep coming back to it.

Here's another idea:  Stop teaching children that a Theory is meant to be proven or disproven. 

The purpose of a Theory is to provide a conceptual basis for testing.  If it is eventually 'Proven' or 'Disproven' that is just a by-product of examination and testing.

...you know kinda like the U.S. Justice system.  Justice is the by-product of two lawyers trying to convince a jury full of citizens who's legal training stopped when they decided not to go to Law School....except, of course, science has more stringent requirements in.re. repeatable, measurable results.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Here's another suggestion:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuKg-WhduhkksJoqkj9aJEnN7v0mx8yxC 

Watch these with your grandchildren, check the citations, talk them over, without trying to 'win' and do some joint research.

...Of course if they're not interested don't force them, but where there is interest make it a cooperative research and learning experience.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I'm a bit disappointed this topic has not taken off as a long runner.  Calling a lie a lie is all well and good as far as it goes, but there are so many more opportunities.  For example:

A grassroots action to teach our children and grand children to properly cite reputable supporting documentation i.e. credible scientific research and university studies instead of wikipedia and opinion pieces presented as news when expressing an opinion.  And teach them to spot and discredit disinformation outlets like The Brownstone Institute, NewsMax and RT News.

Contributor

Also include in your list of disreputable sources, Hillsdale College.  I have visited that site many times to research the lies/misrepresentations that this so called educational institution preaches.  A strong lean to opinion and pseudo-fact presentation.  Hillsdale is a hotbed of Fox News kind of lies, false information, and highly biased reports.  

Harvey Hodges
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

In general the 'Calling A Lie A Lie' theme could be a long running topic.

Aren't most of us just proverbial Frogs on a Hotplate? The folks with their hands on the temperature control have hoarded so many resources they figure they can ride it out.   Their sense of conscience (or lack thereof) is so warped they're comfortable with blaming others for not being so greedy.

Periodic Contributor

I think that the media can be trusted as far as hard news is concerned. The problem is that a lot of people take those talking head panel shows as news when they're really just opinions. Actual news doesn't have an opinion or viewpoint, it's "just the facts ma'am" as they say. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your comment. I believe that was well put. I agree.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I don't mean to offend but replying to your post ONLY, not the responses.

There was a time I trusted "our" government; then something went sidewise.

There was a time I trusted "you"; then something went sidewise.

There was a time people like Charleston Hartfield tried to heal; then was struct down by an idiot...

How do we fix this?

#VegasStrong

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sorry, as to how do we fix it, we call the liers liers.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I will try and be responsive to your questions, if I understand. I think I understand but, as the wife often observes, sometimes I donโ€™t.

The government is us. I know we are not all mean and cruel but there seem to be more than there used to be. I think what went sideways is we allowed inappropriate behavior from our leaders. 

As to me, I am far from perfect but I have been honest here. If I have not been honest please show me where. 

I spent my working life as a helper not a healer. However I was in close enough proximity to the healers that I know they are not represented by the liers.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Nice to see honest opinions! All of us that believe in decency need to stop this madness! Keep speaking the truth! 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MikeB664465 

Can't say I disagree with you, except for one point.

When it comes to Fox News, they have several commentators that question vaccinating and yet, are vaccinated themselves, they also question masking, and yet, I believe masks are required in Fox studios, and they push alternative medicines, and yet don't use them themselves.

Due to these disparities, it is a media that cannot be trusted.

Regular Contributor

Point well taken. I guess where I am going lies should be called lies. Some of this stuff is so blatant and people are dying. You rightly point out hypocrisy at fox. They are not the only news outlet where hypocrisy has reared its ugly head. I admit they seem to support the crazies for advertising income more than most.

What I am talking about is outright falsehoods. There are breakthrough cases in hospitals but, 90 percent of Covid patients in hospitals are the unvaccinated. It is a fact. Lying about that fact has kept people from the vaccine. Nobody is magnetic. They are just not. Spoons donโ€™t stick to me. It is a lie. The vaccinated do not glow in the dark or under a black light. It is a lie to claim the vaccinated glow. I know the nuts that make false claims are given a platform by news outlets. But, it is not the news it is us being unwilling to call a lier a lier. We are minding our manners so much the nuts are not being called nuts. In the meantime people are dying.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP