Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Gold Conversationalist

Problems with Animated GIFs

I know that a number of forums and other sites restrict, or do not permit, some types of animated gifs. While most such gifs are harmless some may cause a reaction in many viewers that is similar to motion sickness. The most problematical animated gifs seem to be those with a "swirling" motion rather than a "rectilinear" motion. 

To anyone who may not understand this optical-mental problem, have you ever looked out a car window in winter watching snow coming down? Well, that leaves out anyone below the Mason-Dixon line. Anyway, it can have a sort of ticklish effect on the brain. I have experienced this myself  from watching snow coming down.

Some people are what is called photo-sensitive and flashing lights, etc, may trigger an epileptic attack. A couple years ago Twitter was subjected to an attack targeting the Epilepsy Foundation with animated gifs designed to trigger an epileptic attack in sensitive people, and they certainly discomfited others. See https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/23/21035855/twitter-bans-apngs-trolls-seizures-epilepsy-foundation-....

The same Verge article refers to a famous case from a couple years ago where the FBI arrested someone for sending an animated gif to a journalist who then had an epileptic attack. The perpetrator knew of the journalist's condition and purposely sent him the animated gif as an attack.

I have seen the use of some animated gifs in the AARP forums for some time and I try to avoid looking at them as they can trigger vertigo due to my Meniere's disease. I've sometimes thought I might mention this to AARP but have not until now. I am certain that there must be many readers who also are sensitive to such animated gifs.

I would like to recommend to AARP that animated gifs be restricted or banned. In my view some of the uses here in this forum have been knowingly deployed for the purpose of such attacks rather than for the "coolness" effect. JMO.

Regular Contributor

I wonder how prevalent the use of potentially damaging gifs is among internet trolls. Best not to give them any ideas...

Trusted Social Butterfly

Another source of epileptic seizures is the strobe light effect caused by walking by a picket fence with sunlight shining through.  Of course, given the opportunity, bleeding heart liberals would outlaw picket fences to protect epileptics.

Just as it is incumbent upon epileptics to look away when walking by a slotted fence, it is also incumbent upon lazy epileptics to change their browser, browser settings, or browser plug-ins to stop GIF animations.  It is also incumbent upon lazy epileptics to do their own research on how to do this but, since I am such a generous guy, I hereby do this research for them.

https://www.howtogeek.com/257408/how-to-stop-animated-gifs-from-playing-in-your-web-browser/

I installed and tested the following plug-in for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/toggleanigif/

Gold Conversationalist

@aruzinsky 

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to implement them. Your swirly gif is one of about 3 that I see at the AARP forums (as well as some gifs in posts). It does not always affect me but sometimes it does.

I have to comment, it seems you may have some sort of chip on your shoulder, your posts and signature seem needlessly confrontational, as though you purposely set up your postings for confrontation? Just an observation. Have a nice day.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@fffred wrote:

@aruzinsky 

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to implement them. Your swirly gif is one of about 3 that I see at the AARP forums (as well as some gifs in posts). It does not always affect me but sometimes it does.

I have to comment, it seems you may have some sort of chip on your shoulder, your posts and signature seem needlessly confrontational, as though you purposely set up your postings for confrontation? Just an observation. Have a nice day.

If you want to see a swirly GIF that normal people find beautiful, click on my Crybaby Button Button, not to be confused with the Crybaby Button below it.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Concur!

#StaySafe

#WearTheDamnMask (per Chris Wallace, Fox News Senior Reporter)

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP