Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

DOES ANYBODY PROOFREAD ANYTHING ANYMORE???

Honored Social Butterfly

DOES ANYBODY PROOFREAD ANYTHING ANYMORE???

Does anybody proofread anything anymore or is no one home at AARP?

IT HAS TO BE ONE OF THE TWO!!!!!!!!

For three days, there has been a title on the main AARP WEB PAGE stating that if you click on it, you will see a:

FALL TV PREVIEW

Click on it and what do you get....... dang book reviews.

Several have commented on this issue but I guess there is no one home at AARP.

TYPICAL....................................

Trusted Social Butterfly

...don't suppose anybody would care to discuss possible remedies?

...Like changing the word War to an acronym W.A.R....Willful Assinine Recreation.

Willful Antisocial Rationalization

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Maybe Proofreading isn't the only area where complancency is getting out of hand.  There's a commercial out there for an online Buy/Sell app that ends with the claim, "Save Up To Alot".

...seeing it reminded me of this thread.

Super Contributor

Thanks friend! An ALL CAPS post by @nctarheel is always an interesting read. 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DirkB349973 wrote:

Thanks friend! An ALL CAPS post by @nctarheel is always an interesting read. 🙂

I guess you didn’t read my post as thoroughly as I read yours. My post was not all caps as you so adeptly misrepresented. My journalism teachers in high school and college would be spinning in their graves if they saw how the print media, online media, and other journalists pay absolutely no attention to detail anymore. Dependence on auto correct, spellcheck and other applications result in errors through the written word now. It is a shame.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Since "Dependence" not "auto correct" or "other applications" leads to the result, shouldn't it be "results"

...just asking...no journalism training here either.

Dependence on auto correct, spellcheck and other applications result(s) in errors through the written word now.

...come to think of it I'm sure I need to go change Lude to Lewd somewhere in the Rock n Roll forum.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

My friend, I read your entire post with interest. I misspoke and should have said that your all-caps subject line caught my eye. I always enjoy your posts and the passion you put into them, even when I disagree with the sentiment. I don't have your journalism training and find myself depending on those tools you mentioned to make my writing somewhat less annoying. 🙂

Honored Social Butterfly

@DirkB349973 wrote:

My friend, I read your entire post with interest. I misspoke and should have said that your all-caps subject line caught my eye. I always enjoy your posts and the passion you put into them, even when I disagree with the sentiment. I don't have your journalism training and find myself depending on those tools you mentioned to make my writing somewhat less annoying. 🙂

Your writing is not annoying at all. In fact, your use of the written word was quite well done. My frustration centers around the major newspaper in my area. Not a day goes by that I am not finding misspellings, wrong word usage, incorrect sentence structure, or worse. In fact, there was an article the other day regarding a child's death and the circumstances surrounding her death. Late in the article, AFTER the part regarding her death, one of the ending paragraphs alluded to child's "condition" at the hospital in the PRESENT TENSE! It was obvious that they had written part of the article prior to the little girl's death, then there was the actual death, and then they mixed up what they had written rather than UPDATE what they had written. Similarly, this mess with the wrong URL link was probably akin to the same process. Somebody wrote about new books, wrote another blurb about TV shows, but didn't update everything in their composition. They were lazy as my journalism teacher used to say.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

While working, I noticed that many of the people fresh out of college, bursting with the latest IT skills, had trouble writing good emails and documentation. I suppose you are correct and many folks don't devote enough time to proofreading what they have written.

In the case of bad HTML links, I think those should be found in testing before the code is pushed to production. Maybe testing is to developers what proofreading is to writers.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel Here's the correct link: https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/television/info-2023/new-tv-shows-fall-2023.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@AARPJanelleM Seems a url/link needs correction, see below. Thank you! 🙂

When going to the main page, https://www.aarp.org/, on the right side of the screen, see 'Fall TV Preview: What's Coming to Your Screens at Home - New comedies, dramas and documentaries.

Link Code Error 09022023.png

When clicking on the link for 'Fall TV Preview: What's Coming to Your Screens at Home,' it takes you to: https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/books/info-2023/fall-book-preview.html.

Link Code Error ii 09022023.png

Thus, the link for: Fall TV Preview: What's Coming to Your Screens at Home needs to be changed to this linkhttps://www.aarp.org/entertainment/television/info-2023/new-tv-shows-fall-2023.html🙂

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP