Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

DOES AARP HAVE DIFFERENT RULES FOR DIFFERENT PAGES OF ITS WEB SITE?

Honored Social Butterfly

DOES AARP HAVE DIFFERENT RULES FOR DIFFERENT PAGES OF ITS WEB SITE?

For example, there is an article on the home page regarding how society and personal interactions have changed due to COVID.

After the article, there are comments.

One of the comments begins with " SHAME ON ALL THE ANTI-VAXXERS AND THOSE THAT REFUSE TO TAKE THIS PANDEMIC SERIOUSLY......"

While I agree with the commenters premise, it struck me that the comment smacked of a political point of view.... something that is verboten as a comment on the community pages.

If I am assessing this correctly, then........

AARP seems to allow political discourse in one section of its web site but not in another.

Am I right or wrong?????

Bronze Conversationalist

😐

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There is another quote from a commenter in that same section of AARP's web site.

" There is no need for all the rigamoroll. All it is, is fearmongering....."

In my opinion that comment smacks of being on the political spectrum and yet, AARP allows it on that section of its web site while restricting here on this section of its web site.

Do you not find that hypocritical????

Honored Social Butterfly

There doesn't seem to be any real "political" inference - the article is how the virus has changed us, our respective lives and even society as a whole, perhaps forever.  People are gonna have different views in that respect -  

The actual question from AARP for the discussion is:  Omicron’s continued presence is causing people to pivot, reassess and weigh their personal risk threshold. How are you evaluating in which social activities you will participate?

I think the answers people are giving are reflecting their personal answers to that question.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Roseanna (love the name btw). 
Not really a comment on your postings rather a question (I saw the Gilda Radner and Roseanna and felt at home). 

I actually saw your string of responses after a search question I had which is: how or what is the method to text a friend an article seen on AARP? I’m new to the community yet stuck home presently with Covid and want to forward an article to a friend. 
This is the particular article:

How Long Does a COVID Booster Shot Last?

Effectiveness wanes over time, but protection against critical illness can persist longer

By Rachel Nania,   AARP

in most of my digital magazine subscriptions there is a small icon that allows one to copy the link for a text or e-mail forwarding. I do not readily see anything similar. 

Thank you. I’ll hang up and take my answer off the air. 😉

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MichaelM897383 

Just forward this link (copy / paste) to your friend via text or email.  

AARP.org updated 06/20/2023 - How Long Does a COVID Booster Shot Last?

Hope you feel better real soon!

Trusted Social Butterfly

...can't find the most recently referenced post....can't comment, but it sure is nice to be exchanging thoughts on Social matters.

Political behavior is a subset of social behavior that frequently employs "fearmongering" so the assertion that it was a political statement may be plausible, but, again, can't comment on a line and a half taken out of context.

Potential hypocricy aside, it would be nice to see a Politics forum revived and, maybe, this time access limited to dues paying AARP members. Then there would be reason for more flexibility concerning participants conduct...or maybe no issues at all.

Bronze Conversationalist

@EricC28201 

I totally agree, especially with the comment regarding "dues paying members"! If you want to play you should have to pay! No excuses for allowing commentary from non-paying members.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@EricC28201   So you can put this into perspective -

Here's the link to the whole article and the comments are at the bottom. 

AARP.org - Friends and Family - 5 Ways Omicron Is Changing the Way We Socialize

Trusted Social Butterfly

Thanks @GailL1.  Read the whole article and was struck by the absence of references to handwashing, and keeping one's hands away from one's face.  The article itself is really kind of run-of-the-mill for the last couple of years...describing people's varying responses and reactions. The disturbing thing about the comments was that they can be described as having an all-or-nothing character. Black-and-White, All-or-Nothing, My Way or The Highway attitudes are symptoms of the antisocial pathos.
As far as the 'fearmongering rigamaroll' comment goes, it seems to be more an expression of a personal attitude or belief than a political statement.
It is difficult to argue that people who hesitate, or choose not to get themselves vaccinated are behaving irrationally or irresponsibly in a culture with a healthcare system built on a for-profit business model that created the Opioid Crisis and repurposes an ineffective antidepressant to a drug to facilitate men getting erections. Especially when it uses the media and massive, persistent marketing campaigns to distort a legitimate medical condition into a mass consumption market #MedicatingNormal. But when those people try to influence, or impose their own personal choices on others without reliable, authenticated, empirical supporting data, they are behaving in an antsocial manner which is often difficult to differentiate from political behavior. It is another example of a feedback loop where antisocial values and behaviors promote more antisocial behavior and if you look back at our history, human cultures have been evolving in this environment for thousands of generations.
...might want to start telling the kids and grandkids that Climate Change IS the free SIM Card from the movie, Kingsman: The Secret Service. Maybe they will be able to save themselves in spite of the fake idiocy and ineptitude of the current 'Leadership'.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Wrong.

...Almost sorry but that comment was not a political statement... It simply says 'shame on folks who don't listen to their doctor'...that's like calling Greta Thunberg a politician when all she keeps saying is 'Listen to the people whose job it is to evaluate these things empirically and make recommendations'.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP