Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

The Odds Are Against You!

I am sure that we all have a story to share about "Instant Win" gift cards. But I was curious on how hard is it to win one of these " Instant Win" gift cards. I went through my transaction history and counted how many times I have tried to win an "Instant Win" gift card from January 1, 2021 through April 24, 2021.  I counted 320 times at 50 points = 16,000 Total points used. Have only won once since January 1, 2021. I am sure that there are other members that play more than I have. Imagine if I have only won once in 320 times, how many more times will I have to play before I win again? Those are terrible odds 😖!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I've never won anything and I am not looking forward to winning either. I have been on this site for a year and more and never won anything. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The joy of seeing the box open with confetti is worth the terrible odds!  It's just fun!

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

AJF2K1:

I've been in communications with AARP Brena (I honestly forgot her name) about this & the odds are probably more for those who are not AARP Members since we as Members have more "perks" in Points gained yet for winning the Instant Win & Sweepstakes we probably do not have the same "perks" as those who are not Members.

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

If it is true, it's totally ridiculous. Please, AARP Community Managers, give us full details on why you don't want us to be paid members or do you? @AARPBrena, @AARPTeri@AARPJanelleM.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Retired Community Manager

@a170938b As a paid AARP member you can earn more points per day and you receive more points than non members for completing the same activities. You also get access to members only catalog items so there are perks to being a member! To clarify what LaurajW wrote, members and non members have the same odds of winning Instant Wins & Sweepstakes. Non members do not get any advantage over you.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

First all thank you for the feedback from all the other members. I just wanted to make it clear that I am a payed member. When I created this topic I wanted members to know that this particular benefit (Instant Win) that AARP has offered to us members is not perfect. I understand that AARP has other benefits that are perks to paid members, but that is not my point. My point is why does AARP offer (Instant Win) a benefit  to us if we can't "benefit" from it. When you have members that say they "don't want to waste my points" what does that tell you about this program. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that AARP has designed the Instant win game so we can educate ourselves with videos and quizzes and in turn with those points give us incentives to continue this education. But at what point do you say that this program/benefit is not working. In my case, if 320 unsuccessful attempts to win is supposed to be an incentive something is definitely wrong with AARP's thinking.

Trusted Contributor

Agreed.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Oh Ms. Briana AARP:

Thank you for the additional update about that. I figured non-Members have an "advantage" to winning Sweepstakes & Daily Instant Win than I do with all of my "perks" they do not get. I would Hope so!!! they do not have "advantage" of winning over me. I do not want to play any more & any longer-I have no more interest in that & I do not want to waste my points I've earned ya know. I did the learning I earned it I should be able to use them points for Gift cards & Sweepstakes to win. I am still hurting from that & my wounds will eventually heal.

Stay Healthy!!!

P.S. I still have not won Yet!!! capital letters are never my screaming they are there for "emphasis" Attitude of Gratitude not all of it capitalized for you today!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP