Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Share how you stay fit!

Staying fit is always a challenge for most of us!  We would love to hear and see how you keep fit!

Personally, I have been consistent with going to a 30 minute HIIT class even through part of the pandemic!  fitbodybootcampphoto.JPGSafety measures were taken very seriously and a mask is mandatory but I still love getting it in!

I also take walks with friends in my neighborhood which is good for the heart in more ways than one!

Share what gets you going!  We would love to see your photos too!

AARPTeri

During the pandemic walking was the only option I was comfortable with.  Since receiving both vaccine's I have returned to the Aquatic Cardio program three times weekly, bowling weekly, and walking.

Contributor

My husband and I didn't feel safe going to the YMCA during the pandemic.  I kept my membership as a show of support for this important organization. They were there for me in providing childcare and camps for my autistic son and they were there for my sis-in-law in providing adult daycare for her Mom who had Alzheimer's.  So, I have made myself exercise every day to YouTube videos.  I particularly love Leslie Sansone because she's positive and fun. I've also enjoyed some Silver Sneakers. The daily exercise really helped my mental health, as well as my physical health during this pandemic.

Contributor

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I try to exercise every day. I watch a variety of fitness videos online, my DVD collection including cardio dance, aerobics, kickboxing and additionally walk about 4 miles (sometimes more) at least 4 times a week. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Staying fit has always been a priority for me.  I took this love and turned it into a way to help others as a certified group fitness instructor.  There is nothing more rewarding than a class participant telling you they can now perform basic everyday tasks (putting on socks, gardening without their back hurting, able to do things longer, etc.) because of your instruction. 

My stay fit passion is cycling and weightlifting, which I've been doing and teaching through the pandemic.  Some have been virtual, but most have been in-person at a social distance and with masks. I do cycling for cardio and weightlifting for the resistance type training.  

Recently I got my 16-year-old daughter doing exercise, which she hated when she started.  Fast forward six months, and she's hooked.  She quickly realized the benefits mentally, not to mention the difference in how she felt about her body.  Oh, to be a teenager again.  If I only knew then what I know now.

Trusted Contributor

Staying fir has always been a priority to me as well, I try to stay fit as much as I can. I love the outdoors and when I go out I have on my mask. That is a good thing you are doing.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Me too.  Staying fit keeps me grounded and helps to release any negative energy I may be experiencing.  It also helps to clear my mind.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I love moving around, it helps me stay fit. I always try very hard to do what I can to keep moving. Sitting around you began to feel sorry for your self and most people start complaining about different things. It's always good to keep moving and stay sharp.

0 Kudos

hi sandy,

i so wish i could find a passion to exercise and work toward becoming physically fit! i sit on my hind in all day, just beating myself up for not getting up and moving.  i eat very healthy, but that doesn't help with strength and weight loss.  i appreciate your devotion to maintaining a healthy mind and body.  

Kudos to you!

Michelle

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Ditto ! We are soul sisters.

We KNOW what to Do, but don’t and

We KNOW what NOT to Do, but do it anyway. Big Sigh

Personally, I’ve spent my whole like taking care of others (brothers, grandmother, hubby, son, grandson, ill/elderly parents and in-laws, other ill relatives, friends and church shut-ins).

I never had time for myself.

Or learned to take care of me.

Well, AARP says you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Michelle, we and all others similar DESERVE self-care.

I especially don’t want to become a helpless, decrepit burden to anyone.

LET’S DO IT !

Just 1 day at a time.

Peace, Love, Blessings, Health and Happiness

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Michelle,

I wish I had the discipline to eat more healthy like you.  I just find food too hard to resist.  I know that I find keeping my exercise routine (and golfing) a lot easier if and when I have someone to workout with.  

I am currently working my way back into my exercise routines following a hernia operation.  It is very important to start off with somethings that are easily achieved without too much effort. Too many people try to start with too much and too strenuous of exercise and make themselves miserable and sore.  Hopefully I will be able to return back to full strength due time.  I hope that you can a way to get started in a safe and effective manner, and maybe even find a friend or group to do it with.  Maybe you can share with the rest of us a few of your favorite "healthy recipe's?"

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the reminder about burning out early, Thomas.

I've started with a daily goal of 8 glasses of water or green tea with Stevia. 

4 of the 5 days this week I have succeeded.

If junk food is in the house, I WILL eat it.

Hubby is doing better HIDING his candy, cookies, donuts, cake and potato chips in the house to keep me out of them. (Alas, no secret place to hide his ice cream, though!)

Good Luck with your recovery !

0 Kudos
Contributor

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

It's great that you got your daughter interested in exercising.  I also enjoy bike riding, weight lifting, walking, and yoga. 

Contributor

I do 10,000 steps a day to keep myself motivated!    I love walking so this is easy to do and cheap.

Trusted Contributor

Hello d307599m

I am unable to walk very much before sitting down. I have a lot of back problems and I can't do much walking. I admire you for your strength. I wish I was able to do at least some walking. I do excise though. I stand to my countertop and do the leg exercise. I also do arm exercise and leg exercise. I do eat healthy, I started eating fruit and salad. I love salad. I lost weight just eating salad. I did this on my own. I lost 30 pounds in one year. It was not hard at all. I did eat regular meals but just kept it at one serving per meal. I eat vegetables such as green beans, greens, cabbage, chicken but I use my air fryer to cook my chicken that way I don't get all the grease. I usually back my pork chops and other foods. I find this helped me to lose 30 pounds in one year. My doctor was so proud of me because I didn't lose the weight fast. Believe me, I was proud of myself. I lost a little more than 2 pounds a month.

0 Kudos

How can I add a fitness tracker that’s not on your list

Contributor

I also have a fitness tracker that is not on the "accepted list".   I have a Samsung smart watch that tracks my activities.  It would be nice if there was at least a portal to manually enter data on activity exercises.  I usually play 18 holes of golf 5 days a week, try to jog anywhere from 2-4.5 miles 6 days a week, and lift weights 3 times a week, yet I am not able to earn credit for it.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

i has the same issue with the fitness tracker. I do have Strava on my phone to log miles when I ride my  bike but it’s not syncing  here. I ride my bike 4-5 days a week, weather permitting, strength train 3 days a week, and yoga 3 days a week. Any way it’s nice to connect with other members who are passionate about staying fit!

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Eileen,

We are only supporting the trackers listed - we do try to add additional trackers when possible but we are unable to support all fitness devices at this time.  What tracker are you using?

AARPTeri
0 Kudos
Contributor

I wear a POLAR Vantage M smartwatch.  I also link it to Under Armor's MapMyFitness app.  It would be great if you could link apps in addition to the devices you presently accept.  Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have the Polar Grit X and also have it synced with several apps. To bad the list is limited. Polar in my opinion is worn by us more serious athletes. Apple and Fit Bit are for soccer moms and dads.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP