Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Not getting points for watching videos

Regular Contributor

Not getting points for watching videos

From the "earn" page I selected a video to watch for 300 pts.  watched the video (it reloaded half way through btw - so took longer) then . . . nothing. no mention of Rewards.  this has happened three times now.  Running Win 7; Firefox browser (fully updated).  Don't ask me to use Chrome cuz I won't!!  I have no problem earning points on games.  thanks

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

huh - when I posted this website took me to a 'log in' page - but I was already logged in:  could access my account from top banner.  maybe that was the problem

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Being logged in wasn't the problem.  still not working.   AARP - HELP!! 

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Perhaps check "Transaction History"? I receive the same "no points" response for some videos but then they've posted. just suggestion...

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@hondochica Let me help! All videos must be watched until the end to receive points. If you try to fast-forward during video play, you will not earn points. Only one video can be watched at a time to earn points. Please ensure you do not have more than one browser tab open. If you are still having site issues, we recommend that you try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. Check out our article for more details: https://help.aarp.org/s/article/site-issues Let me know if you need anything further!

Regular Contributor

This is an ongoing problem-today nothing is working. Usually it will work for a few days, then I have to clear cookies and it will work for a few days. But not today. Don't get me wrong--I love AARP and AARP Rewards (both have been good to me). It is just incredibly frustrating when you want to participate. I guess I just have to hope it starts  working?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

@RDP1951  - Hmmmmm - sounds like clearing cookies is not working for you?  have you tried clearing the cache?  Also - even though it "looks" like you are signed into your account - sometimes you have to log in again.  give those a try. 

Kelly

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I always: 1) watch til the end; 2) don't fast forward; 3) only watch 1 video at a time; 4) ** have more than 1 tab open but AARP is the "active" tab - so perhaps I have to close everything else??  which doesn't make sense cuz I do everything else with 2-3 tabs 'open' but 'inactive'.  hmmmm  I'll try opening videos in a separate window with no other tabs -

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

so playing a video in a separate window did not solve the problem - can't imagine my windows 7 is the problem cuz I can do everything else on the aarp website except earn points for videos. 

0 Kudos
Community Concierge

@hondochica Have you had an opportunity to try clearing your browser's cache and cookies? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

clearing cache did nothing.  clearing cookies seems to have fixed the problem.  Even though the site indicated I was logged in (I could see my rewards points and 'my account' said 'logout') it would not recognize that I was logged in.  AND - the transaction history shows the 'member bonus' for all other activities, but would not recognize that I was logged in for videos.  clearing the cookies has corrected this issue. logging out and back in did Not correct this issue until I cleared cookies - for anyone else reading this thread - fyi.   thanks

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@hondochica 

I know the community managers are always telling us to clear browsing data and clearing cookies to fix what tech support should be correcting to start with AND in your situation it worked BUT that fix only causes other problems down the road. For me anyway. Don't know about anyone else but clearing cookies wrecks havoc with my bank, eBay, PayPal and numerous other websites. After clearing cookies these sites have no idea who I am and I have to go through the tiresome two-step verification process all over again. There has to be a better way.  Just Saying 

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hey @rednexsrus - you can delete Only those cookies from AARP - so that you do not remove everything and have to log in all over as you have stated. You'll only have to log back into AARP - and clearing AARP cookies will also remove any/all(?) recent activity on the site; as such it may appear that you can earn points for a 'reward' you already earned - so maybe check your transaction history in rewards if you're not sure so you don't waste time.  Be happy to see if I can help you - what browser are you using? -

btw: AARP Should be explaining this to their customers . . (how to delete Only AARP cookies) - not me. . .  are you listening AARP??

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@hondochica 

Thanks for the tutoring on browser settings, hondo

They, tech spt doesn't really care about us, only interested in drawing that paycheck.

Why do you suppose the community managers haven't explained this procedure (deleting just the AARP cookies ) to us ?  😩 😫

I am using google chrome ( AARP preferred browser )  on the laptop and did find in settings where I can add the AARP site and delete cookies when I close the window. 

Going to look into Firefox and Duck Duck Go browsers for that feature since I am not getting all the ads like I get with chrome. Just Saying

lucyp061351
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Hi @rednexsrus - didn't see your reply.  Just to keep jargon clean:  Firefox is a browser;  Duck Duck Go is a search engine (at least I'm not aware that they have their own browser) - but I digress.  In Firefox:  go to Tools; settings; click on "privacy and security" on the left tab; scroll down to 'cookies and site data' - there you will see three "tabs" grey-shaded on the right:  "Clear data . . . "   "Manage data . . . " and "Manage Exceptions".  Sometimes it takes a minute or so for the "manage data . . ." tab to become 'active' (it should have bold black type when it's available to use) - just wait a bit.  Click on "manage data" - In the 'search websites' - type "AARP"   - when 'aarp.org' shows up in the list, you can select it and hit the 'remove selected' button on the bottom left.  then save changes and close.  Let me know if that works.   cheers

kelly

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP