Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Gardening and subsistence living

With prices going up and me on a fixed income, I challenged myself.  So I started hydroponic gardening to see if I can produce vegetables through the winter.  Also I decided not to waste the vegetables I grow or buy. Before the store vegetables just didn't last and I was throwing them away before I could eat them. I decided to dehydrate my wilting vegetables or freeze them or can them.  Now I get exercise and produce 100% of my vegetables. I also produce cattle, hunt geese, hunt deer and fish in our pond and collect oysters from our stream.  I save so much money I can take more vacations during the year. We also produce our own hay. Now that's the way to exercise and produce food!

Silver Conversationalist

@CarrieR208388 @TheSuzyQ 

Not exactly hydroponic gardening but drip irrigation has worked wonders for us. It is only the two of us and we have managed to grow enough and have a little for the freezer. We are both retired and food has become a major expense. Just Saying 20220529_101617.jpg

lucyp061351
Periodic Contributor

Great idea! I am using self watering pots in a raised bed. I am disabled and I can just fill up the pots every 3 days when it's hot out.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Hydroponic gardening is where's it at for sure! Do you have any recommendations on source material for a beginner?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yes, check out Aero garden.

20220615_094154.jpg

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP