Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trusted Contributor

Fewer and Fewer Rewards

A few months ago, we would see around 100 rewards, including sweepstakes and greeting cards, available for points.  Then it got down to around 90 available each day.  Today, there are only 81 rewards available for points, the least I've ever seen, and over half of those are those greeting cards.  I'm guessing AARP is heading towards discontinuing this program.  The way it is?  They might as well.

Contributor

This is true as far as rewards,they are becoming fewer and fewer.I can say the Burger King and CVS came in handy a year ago.I really do need them now for I can't believe how I became homeless I'm hoping some of my rewards will come in handy

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

FYI! There are 5 NEW hidden redemptions, just released!

How to search for: 'Hidden Redemptions':

In search field 'Points' / 'Points' -e-greeting -sweepstakes -ebook / in search field 'Topgolf / The Vitamin Shoppe / Pinkberry / Zappos / Under Armour'

1. Topgolf EGift Card 21,000 10.00  
  2. The Vitamin Shoppe® gift card 12,000 5.00
  3. Pinkberry® Gift Card 16,000 5.00
  4. Zappos.com e-Gift Card 20,000 10.00 Members Only
  5. Under Armour Gift Card 19,000 10.00
Trusted Contributor

Never mind.  I got it!  I can't believe they are doing this.  Thanks to all who pointed this out.

Trusted Contributor

Okay.  I'm clueless.  How do you know this?  Where do you find this information?  Help, please.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

A new low!  77 rewards available for points this morning, down from the 100 or more we used to see not so long ago, and 45 of those are greeting cards.  I think we can all see where this program is heading.

Trusted Contributor

July 7, and we're down to 79 rewards available for points.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Don't forget! There were only 6 sweepstakes available so far this month, and there'll be 6 more (New) sweepstakes released around July 15th? I suppose, normally, there'd be 12 sweepstakes posted on July 1st, but in this case, there were only 6. That'd be some of the deductions you see this month, anyway. 

Trusted Contributor

This morning we're down to 80, with only two gift cards available for purchase:  a $5 Buca di Beppo that no one's wanted for weeks, and a $5 Jamba Juice.  Whoopee!

Periodic Contributor

One thing about them is, when a particular gift card is sold out, that's the end of it. You won't see the gift card anymore. Either they don't wanna fund them anymore or they're tired of the reward program. The Amazon gift card we always see in awhile are there just to give us hope but they're not enough (maybe $200...$5 x 40).

Having only 2 gift cards for over hundreds/thousands of people to redeem is kinda weird. If they're going to add any gift card soon, it's gonna be some left over cards that nobody wants, maybe Pinkberry gift card. Pathetic! 

Gold Conversationalist

Yes.  A number of us have been commenting on this for months.   Apparently those of us in the community continue to hang around but I am wondering how long the masses will continue to frequent the site with very few rewards.   The activities continue to be well done in my opinion.  I am thinking AARP staff does those as they do the content on the AARP site.   Hello World is destroying the program or is not being funded adequately.   Thinking again, Hello World should be generating their own advertisers and revenue.   They certainly sell gift cards for profit as I've said for years.   It has gotten to the point where they have "discounts" like the deceptive ScottEVest which are not as good as what you could get on the webiste for nothing.  And then one could use only one discount.   That's pretty low,  attempting to trick seniors like that.

Silver Conversationalist

YOU ROCKYOU ROCK

lucyp061351
Silver Conversationalist

@ridgeviewfarm 

IMG_0052.GIFYou are so right and right on target. Will be no surprise to log in one day soon and see a notice that this rewards program will be ending. Of course there will be no mention of reimbursing members for their earned points total.  

lucyp061351
Periodic Contributor

Reward catalog some years ago was pretty good because you could redeem your favorite gift card. When they had Ebay, Adidas, Amazon, Walmart, Steam gift card, Target, etc. But what they have now are junk (discount) gift cards. I hope they look into it and do the right thing.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Just what I wrote not too long ago! 

REF: The Rewards Catalog Is A Mess, There Are Still Errors - Yada, Yada, Yada

'This place feels unstable. Like there's a skeleton crew running the show. Like it's teetering on something really negative, I mean bottom of the barrel negative, if that makes sense. Not sure what else to say. I am noticing these issues, and some lack of interaction by AARP staff in some cases, or that only one person is managing the complaints all on their own. Just an observation. 

'Anyone else seeing this, too? Ugh.'

(I guess I'm not alone, here.)

Periodic Contributor

I agree with you. Day by day it's going down. I'm beginning to look for some alternative. Can anyone recommend any AARP alternative right here?  Where we can do same activities just like AARP.

Silver Conversationalist

@GarryA967779

I would leave this site so fast it would send HelloWorld spinning if I had the chance to participate in another rewards program along the same format as this one (Sorry but I like the points,video's, quizzes and of course the gift cards  yea!!)  All the fun has gone from this one 😫 😫 

lucyp061351
Honored Social Butterfly

You shouldn't say these things, Lucy. @GarryA967779 might like it here, and deserves to feel welcome, and make his own decisions based on what's good for him! We all know how much you despise the rewards program, you state this over and over, but not everyone here feels the same as you do. So, please take that into consideration before telling someone to leave this site, or constantly bringing a negative to the table. 

@rednexsrus wrote:

@GarryA967779

I would leave this site so fast it would send HelloWorld spinning if I had the chance to participate in another rewards program along the same format as this one (Sorry but I like the points,video's, quizzes and of course the gift cards  yea!!)  All the fun has gone from this one 😫 😫 

Silver Conversationalist

@KellytheBelly I don't despise the rewards program but the administrator that runs it I do. 

These were your comments just from the other day 7/4/2023 Kelly

I don't see any difference 

'This place feels unstable. Like there's a skeleton crew running the show. Like it's teetering on something really negative, I mean bottom of the barrel negative, if that makes sense. Not sure what else to say. I am noticing these issues, and some lack of interaction by AARP staff in some cases, or that only one person is managing the complaints all on their own. Just an observation. 

Sorry but I am still having trouble figuring how to do the quote thingy, not as experienced as you in these matters.

You have a nice day 😀 😀

lucyp061351
Super Contributor

I don't think Lucy was telling Garry to leave the site (and Garry's comment indicates he is not thrilled with the site). She said that she would leave the site if she had another rewards program to go to instead of this one.  She said she likes the activities (and the gift cards when available), but the fun has gone (I assume she means due to the problems and lack of rewards). I agree that the activities on this site are a plus (they are the one reason I still come to the site several times a week), but in my opinion earning points is pretty useless.  I haven't used my 3 redemptions in months, since I can't get the gift cards I want (back when they actually offered some $10 gift cards, they were always sold out before I could get them).  Then, there was one time a gift card came up that I saw before it sold out (only a $5 Dunkin, but still one I could use), but I couldn't get it because I got the error that said I had already redeemed it, even though I hadn't.  I play the Instant Wins and Sweeps, but haven't won one of those in over a year.

Silver Conversationalist

@RenateW69623 

Hi RenateW, hope your weekend has been pleasant and storm free so far. We are still getting hit with all the unsettling weather here in central MS.

I totally agree with your assessment about the opportunity to be able to obtain any of the more valuable (yuk, yuk 🤣) gift cards.

Some members are able to stay on site 24/7 and take advantage of all the "perks" offered. When there are only just a few "good" ones available and thousands of members competing for them they won't last long.

Case in point  $10 Peets Coffee. I see where on 7/8 @ 3:39 pm it was available and by 7/9 @ 1:08 am it was gone "Sold Out".

That's only 9 hours and 29 minutes total with most of that time late at night and in the wee hours of the morning with only about 5 hrs for seniors to use who need their sleep. LOL  😂 😂

Throw in all the 😫technical difficulties, 😫sorry we are experiencing a delay in rewarding points, to 😫sorry you have already redeemed this reward 

plus more errors I don't remember all of them, some of us don't stand a snowball's chance at winning. 

I like you have always supported the increase in the number of redemption's  but also like you,being unable to redeem the 3 we get (admin's inability to do what is right) doesn't make a lot of ¢ents 😆

Hope this was not to negative 🤔 🤔

lucyp061351
Honored Social Butterfly

She's been saying this/the same negative connotations about the rewards program since I came aboard in 2020, as a new member. First impression, not great. Being negative to someone 'new,' someone I've yet to see join in with this community, is unacceptable. The last thing I'd expect to see is the negativity that exudes toward newcomers here. May be a bit more positive, especially to those that do not know the personalities, thus far. And, yes, we/I understand that you cannot seem to get your 3 redemptions every month. You're not alone. I have tagged you in any new item that comes along, to help you. But, you shoot it down, not good enough, not something you want, or no return communication whatsoever, etc... I haven't had any redemptions this month as well. Repeat. Endless repeat. 

@RenateW69623 wrote:

I don't think Lucy was telling Garry to leave the site (and Garry's comment indicates he is not thrilled with the site). She said that she would leave the site if she had another rewards program to go to instead of this one.  She said she likes the activities (and the gift cards when available), but the fun has gone (I assume she means due to the problems and lack of rewards). I agree that the activities on this site are a plus (they are the one reason I still come to the site several times a week), but in my opinion earning points is pretty useless.  I haven't used my 3 redemptions in months, since I can't get the gift cards I want (back when they actually offered some $10 gift cards, they were always sold out before I could get them).  Then, there was one time a gift card came up that I saw before it sold out (only a $5 Dunkin, but still one I could use), but I couldn't get it because I got the error that said I had already redeemed it, even though I hadn't.  I play the Instant Wins and Sweeps, but haven't won one of those in over a year.

Super Contributor

It's not a matter of "not good enough" or "not something I want".  It's a matter of something actually being available when I first see it.  I can't spend every hour on the site checking for new rewards, or even checking my email for notifications.  From comments in this discussion group, lately a lot of new rewards have been selling out in less than 30 minutes, so even being notified when new rewards show up isn't enough to be able to get them (plus the errors that don't even allow you to get new rewards).  And I didn't see Lucy's comment as being negative towards Garry, just expressing her views about the site, which definitely has its issues, which Garry also expressed.  I'm not familiar with other comments that may have been made in the past, so I am just looking at this one comment.

Bronze Conversationalist

???

Honored Social Butterfly

Do you have a question?

Bronze Conversationalist

Your comment was so shocking that I was giving you the opportunity to maybe explain, or possibly tone down. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Who are you?

Bronze Conversationalist

A concerned member.

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

YOU MUST RESPECT OTHER POSTERS EVEN IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM

Also, please be welcoming of new posters, even when you argue with their positions.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP