Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Community Manager
Community Manager
Periodic Contributor

Have already seen many good suggestions. If traveling out of country use Mobile Passport. Free app and go thru customs faster entering USA. Empty water bottle for free water, carry your lunch instead of buying it, use a travel credit card that will reimburse you for TSA precheck/global entry, air tag your bags, always check for uogrades!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I am a big fan of group tours. Someone else checks the hotels and restaurants. Someone else buys the tickets and gets us there on time

Periodic Contributor

we have gotten a discount through budget rental cars via our aarp membership.  we have entered sweepstakes in hopes to win discounts to stores we can use for our travels or adventures!  i always listen to the videos in hopes to catch some good tips!

Periodic Contributor

AARP enhances my travel experience by offering loads of gift cards for purchase at discounted prices. There are plenty to choose from, including hotels (10+), cruise lines (5), airline, train, rental car, restaurants and retail stores (lots), and even a booking site! I've heard travel is becoming very popular, so I consider booking my trip outside of the high season for additional savings. Plus, I've joined the companies' reward programs to earn points to use for future trips. All of these savings add up to help you enjoy the trip!

Contributor

We used the AARP Expedia site to book great travel!

Community Concierge

DeborahP634376 We're so happy to hear this! Thanks for being a valued member! - Christy C. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

We have recently purchased a great camper trailer and enjoy traveling to state parks!

Periodic Contributor

My husband and I enjoy a lifelong learning journey together by exploring national/state parks, zoos, botanical gardens, and museums when we travel. The AARP Rewards program provides an amazing savings opportunity for our travel adventures. I purchase a variety of discounted gift cards through the Rewards program to use for travel (gas, auto services/rentals, airlines, rails, and cruises), food, and lodging expenses. I always check the Rewards Community Forum to find out what upcoming Daily Deals will be offered at even deeper discounts each week. There is a monthly limit of 5 purchased gift cards, so strategic planning is helpful in maximizing savings. Completing the monthly Extra Credit activities also unlocks deeper discounts on gift cards. I would recommend taking advantage of the Rewards Points program that provides several different types of "Learn and Earn" activities. The points earned can be used to purchase chances to instantly win $10 gift cards and to enter the monthly sweepstakes drawings for gift cards valued at $100-$500 (or more on occasion). Each month there will be special offers of gift cards available for "purchase" with the Rewards points. The overall savings really add up when you combine your AARP membership benefits with the Rewards savings. Check out additional savings opportunities for car rentals, hotels, and restaurants in the Travel section of the AARP website. The Travel section also provides travel planning information and destination guides. 

Regular Contributor

I always check AARP for discounts both in the Rewards section and discounts that are offered to members.  One thing we learned on our last 16 day trip to Italy and France was packing light makes so much sense.  We did it with just a backback and carryon for each of us.  There were so many places where it would have been impossible to go if we were hauling a checked size bag.  The secret was compression bags!

Contributor

Get help with free wheelchair help with mobility problems at the airport! When checking in at airport request free airport help and they will gladly take you in a wheelchair through the airport to the plane doors, for your free handicap service!!! Tipping is up to you!!!

Contributor

Take ear plugs and eye covers for sleep.

Periodic Contributor

Periodic Contributor

Check AARP before trip to see what types of discounts can be used for trip

Contributor

Use your AARP card to get discounts on hotels and rental cars.

Periodic Contributor

If you're going to a foreign country, take the time to learn a few phrases in the native language. Especially learn please and thank you! You may be bad, but the natives love you for trying to speak their language.

Download the Google app, it has a translate button.  We recently went to Columbia, South America, and it helped us immensely.

Contributor

Never pay full price! There are so many options with AARP. Too many to list, so read all these comments if you need specifics.

Periodic Contributor

Take your AARP card with you on the trip or anytime you have to travel out of town. Always ask for discount for hotel that you are going to be staying in by showing your AARP card. We were stuck in Indiana while traveling due to car trouble and had to stay the night at a hotel. I showed them the AARP card and got a discount for the night.

Contributor

Hello Fellow Travelers!  Traveling internationally?  Go to AAA to get no-fee currency exchange and travel info.  For my upcoming mission trip to South Africa, I transferred Marriott points to the airline and saved $2,200 on airfare!  Also, go to You-Tube and check out the many travel related videos - safe travels!

Periodic Contributor

My husband and I save a lot of time by not checking bags and packing our carry-on bags very efficiently. If you choose the outfits wisely and roll them tightly, you'd be surprised how many clothes you can fit in an airline-approved carry-on bag. When we get to our destination, hanging the clothes up almost always makes the clothes presentable. The AARP travel videos have some very helpful information on how to travel lighter!

Contributor

I buy discount airline gift cards whenever I see them go up for sale, and try to book early enough to get a great ticket price! It's like a double discount!!

Contributor

Layer your savings. Many providers offer travel discounts right now - from credit cards and mobile carriers, memberships like AARP or AAA, to employee discount programs offered by employers, for those still working. Knowledge of all of the discount programs can help you strategize the best travel packages. Start by finding the best prices, then pay with discounted gift cards and a credit card with the best cash back offering to put some money back into your pocket. Recently, I combined a flight and car rental for a road trip to get to my final destination. It not only saved me 50% off my travel costs, it was fun taking the scenic route, and enjoying places I wouldโ€™ve missed. And donโ€™t forget to look for free museum passes available through your library. 

Contributor

Travel is less, plan on thrift shopping for things you need when you arrive to your destination.  Plan on purchases travel size incidentals at your travel destination as appose to prior to traveling.  The trend has always been take what you might need, nowadays many destinations have affordable items so travel lightly and purchase needs at destination. 

Contributor

I I always ask for the AARP rate when checking into hotels or renting a car.  Never pay full price!

Regular Contributor

I recently redeemed my reward points to receive a $100 savings for a hotel on the AARP Travel Center. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the travel center site and saw all the different hotel destinations that would except the gift card. My daughter and I have been talking about going on a trip together and getting this gift card motivated me to start making the arrangements. The Travel Center is a great place to go for vacation ideas and travel tips. Every attraction I go to such as zoos, museums, and local touristโ€™s spots, I ask if they offer an AARP discount. I have gotten up to half off on admission fees. You need to ask not all places advertise they take AARP.  You can also get discounts with your AARP card at participating car rentals, restaurants and even free coffee. I have saved a lot on vacations by planning in advance and using my AARP benefits as much as possible.  

Periodic Contributor

I entered an AARP Essay Contest in and won a gift card. At the time, I really wanted to travel more. I used the gift card to book travel through AARP Expedia and received another $50 gift card from a promotional perk and I used that gift card for dinner on vacation. I travelled to Quebec, Jamaica, Bahamas, London and Germany last year. Each time it was applicable, I booked with AARP Expedia to earn the $50 gift card. I also earned three more gift cards by participating in the MoneyMapp Focus Groups. I checked for AARP discounts and used AARP Travel Guides. These tools were very helpful. I even caught a free screening of the Bob Marley movie compliments of AARP Maine. I have never had so much fun or travelled that much in one year! AARP has been very encouraging of my travel and life goals!

Contributor

We always ask for the AARP discount at hotels. Same at restaurants!

Contributor

we always check for the AARP rate when booking hotels online

Contributor

My 17 year old grandson and I just got back from a road trip to Montana for fly fishing. Always check what the rate is with AARP discount even if you belong to a hotel membership. They always say their discount is better and can't be combined but that is not necessarily true. We used my discount for museums and parks and surprisingly a gift store offered the discount. Always ask.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP