Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2024

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Online Community Cruise Contest 2024

Whether you're a seasoned cruiser or a first-time explorer, we want to hear from you!   

The contest runs from April 8 through May 5, 2024. We will choose four (4) winners to receive a $300 AARP Rewards Cruise Line Gift Card! 

To enter, reply to this post before May 5, 2024, with your top tips, tricks, and hacks for leveraging AARP Rewards to elevate your excursion experiences.

Official Rules for the contest are posted here -  https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Online-Community-Cruise-Contest-2024...

Share your top tips, tricks, and hacks for leveraging AARP Rewards to elevate your excursion experiences.  From booking strategies to excursion recommendations, every insight counts! Share now in AARP Rewards Online forum for a chance to win!

Example Post:

I went on my first cruise after winning a sweepstakes and have enjoyed cruising ever since that was 15 years ago! I love meeting new people on cruises and excursions.

AARPTeri
Contributor

After having been on over 25 cruises, we have learned the following:

• We purchase cruise gift cards from AARP, and our local grocery store, Meijer has discounted gift card promos sometimes, too.
  • Book early saver rates so you can rebook/change if the price goes down
  • Carry on 1 bottle of wine per person when allowed
  • Watch for price drops on excursions because many cruise lines let you cancel and re-book, and some have price-match guarantee. 
Contributor

When looking for a cruise company, sometimes it is better to pay upfront for those items that can add up on the ship.  Alcohol included, all tipping, pre trip hotel(night before the cruise starts), business class flights, internet, excursions, ship board dollars.  Many cruise lines are including these items and more.  When you pay upfront there is no bill at the end to surprise you.

Contributor

The night before your excursion familiarize the highlights of the next day's tour. I will enhance your experience.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Learn about the ship by walking around, asking questions, talking to cruise employees.  Note where everything is located, and the hours available, like the restauants, the exercise area, the pool, etc.  Note services available, menu items and rules.  Smile and be friendly to everyone.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Look into eSIMs for your smartphone so you can avoid the exorbitant satellite internet charges on cruise ships. This works if your ships is sailing within sight of land (ie. Mexican Riviera or coast of Japan). Better yet, disconnect and enjoy your cruise.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Plan the night before for the next day excursion. Read ahead for the highlights of what you will see.

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Remember that you can always store your luggage under your bed.  It's easier to unpack & explore the ship if you get on early when there's less people.  You can use the safe in the purser's office for valuables you won't need daily.  If you like to take time eating & want to eat in the main dining room (where you can have seconds of anything), choose the 2nd seating.  Always remember that the sun will burn you faster on a ship because of the reflection off the water, so wear.a good sunscreen.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When looking for a cruise company, sometimes it is better to pay upfront for those items that can add up on the ship.  Alcohol included, all tipping, pre trip hotel(night before the cruise starts), business class flights, internet, excursions, ship board dollars.   Many cruise lines are including these items and more.  When you pay up front, there is no bill at the end to surprise you.

Periodic Contributor

I have cruised like three times and really can't say I have a tip or trick for cruising, but I am so looking forward to next year, celebrating our marriage of 50 years, retiring and taking our family with us on the cruise, which will be so exciting.  We have not all been together since 2008, so you can imagine the anticipation and especially to have our five grandchildren together as well!   Hoping a cruise will be the ticket for all of us to know each other better and enjoy each other.  By reading all others ideas and suggestions will be helpful and just make our cruising a trip of a lifetime!  The planning is in the works but with AARP articles and suggestions from all of you, looking forward with wide open eyes! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Don’t hope they will book you near each other, ask them to do so!  Also if a large family group ask them for a group discount and if large enough you may qualify for a free passenger 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Always pack a third less than what you originally were going to pack. Cruise ships have laundry service on board which stops over packing and also less laundry to do when you get home.

0 Kudos
Contributor

About to go on my second cruise - my trip is that you should check AARP rewards before booking to see if there is a benefit, like on board credit, if you link your AARP membership. Also, look for gift cards for the cruise line and use them to pay for the cruise and additional expenses, saving 10% or so.

Contributor

I used my AARP rewards to buy Princess Cruise gift cards at 8% off . I used my AAA Travel Visa card to buy them. I saved $200 on the cards with AARP (I bought 5 $500 cards for $2300) & my Visa card gave me cash back on the purchase. Win win!! I wish I knew about AARP rewards when we went on our 1st cruise. I'll be sure to look at what is available every time I book a cruise.

Regular Contributor

Love to cruise! It's so nice to unpack once and be ready for whatever adventure or experience awaits! Things I've learned along the way...make your dinner reservations early...sometimes you can even book a window seat for a sunset sail away. Check the excursion desk for any changes or additions...one time we were able to book a gondola ride and tour the day we arrived even though the taxis had just gone on strike in Venice. Not the best packer, but I learned to bring a lanyard for my room key/credit card which left my hands free for activities. If you like to document your travel with photos then take a picture of the daily newsletter which give you the date and port and serves as a natural divider to organize your picture and emergency contact numbers if you need help or address for ground transport. Before departing take advantage of the travel information and deals and sweeps on AARP - lots of good tips and chances for extra savings!

Contributor

I ABSOLUTELY LOOOOOVE TO CRUISE!! My bestie since 3rd grade and I even said that when we retire, maybe apply to WORK on a cruise ship! lol But safety always. Having Sickle Cell, a joint pain crisi can occur at any time, so having a well detailed report from my doctors is a MUST whenever I travel.Listing the medications I regularly take, to how to treat my pain if needed. All of his numbers, in case they need verbal confirmation as well as the after hours line, just in case he is actually the weekend call doc on duty. It just gives me piece of mind, and allows me to enjoy myself without worrying about the "if, and wat if" when my main worry should be extra bag for souvenirs, or larger pants for more buffet time.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When taking a Trans-Atlantic Cruise Always start in Europe and sal to America.  There are 6 nights of time change!  Sailing to Europe results in 4 to 5 consecutive 23 hour days, a killer.  Sailing toward the Americas, they are 25 hour days, truly relaxing,

Contributor

I always bring something to hang on my door, makes it easier to find.your room!

Contributor

I bring some type of magnet to hang on the door to easily identify my room.  I also bring magnetic hooks for inside my staterooms for items such as wet bathing suits, hat, jacket or coverups.  Magnets have worked in all my staterooms.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Another way to use your magnets is put up a map on the wall.

great way to keep track of where you have been where you will be going.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Our learned tips include traveling to the port city the day before. Avoid flight delays and rushing to get to the fun. Second tip is to always check the daily planner the night before to check out free events, not-to-be-missed shows, talks, classes and free things going on. Mark those things or highlight them on your app to keep up. 

Take some time on embarkation day to check out the ship for those areas you want to spend time, before everyone else boards and things get hectic. 

Do the muster drill as soon as you are able; do not be the one whose name is called over the ship system, delaying departure.

Contributor

I travel light, but always take a comfy sweater for chilly areas 

On a budget? Get an inside cabin and enjoy all the room outside your room! Have your coffee on the beautiful decks rather than outside your room is just as wonderful. Luxury “top tier” is not necessary to enjoy that cruise.

We always get an inside cabin. We love the dark, quiet space versus the bright, noisier balcony rooms plus it forces us to be on the upper decks enjoying the 360 sights versus just on side view. We each bring a small rolling suitcase with the allotted amount of soft drinks allowed plus an empty 1.5 liter plastic bottle and multiple 2-quart packets of Crystal Light powder. A beach bag which I carry on board with my makeup serves many purposes such as holds the drinks when we sit pool side plus sun screen, sun hats and wraps. We limit ourselves to 2 meals a day so as not to return with extra pounds. Finally, we book our own excursions and often precook rental cars so we’re not being herded and have plenty of time to explore islands on our own.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Plan special dining arrangements for a sea day in advance. You avoid the rush and timing of an excursion.

There is alot of storage space under the beds.

Room service for meals saves time on excursion days  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Please check twice or thrice that you packed all necessary medications, including over the counter pain medication for the occasional headache. No one wants to spend their time at sick bay.

0 Kudos

I've learned there were things to bring that made cruising a bit easier.

Air freshener is a must!  The bathroom always seemed a bit stinky so this helped a lot.

Small flashlights for each person in case you get up in the middle of the night.

A small first aid kit with bandaids, moleskin, tums & Tylenol. 

Earplugs if you've never slept with this room mate before.

Enjoy every new experience if you can.  Always fun to try new things and foods.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP