Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

With covid, I learned the value of texting.  My cousin and I enjoy the New York Times Wordle.  After solving the puzzle, we text our number of tries to each other.  I am  now in touch daily with a cousin with whom I'd all but lost contact.  It has also lead me to AARPs daily Hurdle and Quordle.  My brothers and my kids are all on a daily texting thread also.  We greet each other in the mornings and share our dinner menus at night.  It certainly encourages me to eat better when I know I have to share my eating habits, and it's a fun way to check up on everyone's well-being.

0 Kudos

I play games,  read a lot, take walks 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I work full time and play tennis, which is physical,mental and social all at the same time. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I take a 4 mile walk in my neighborhood almost every day and listen to free audio books from my library.  I like complicated Nordic mysteries to keep my listening skills challenged.

0 Kudos

I play trivia with friends and family. Love crossword puzzles, which my Mom loved too. I've recently taken up trying to identify different birds by their sounds, using a phone app. So interesting!

0 Kudos
Contributor

In my retirement years I have been busy volunteering with many different organizations where I live in  Fort Collins, CO. Some of which are the local library, the art museum, United Way, the Poudre River events, walks for the homeless and many others.  I also walk between 5-10 miles a day and bike ride.  I feel as vibrant and youthful as I did in my 30's. At home, I enjoy reading and doing arts and crafts activities and online courses.

0 Kudos

I am editor so reading my manuscripts not only keeps my brain active but I am also always learning.  I also love reading novels and discussing them with my book club.  And I also go to the gym 3-4 days a week. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

My wife and I both read lots and read with our grandchildren. We watch and discuss science documentaries, and love doing science projects with everyday objects when the grandchildren visit on weekends!

0 Kudos
Contributor

A daily 2 mile walk followed by several hours of forensic accounting interspersed with a few breaks for tackling Cryptic crossword puzzles (the British ones are tough!) & lots of reading keeps me occupied, healthy & happy.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do crosswords, sudoku, wordle, Worldle, quordle, and vaious other games.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I read, play sudoku, my hands shake so I color, I do crossword puzzles, do jigsaw puzzles, go to Silver Sneakers classes 4 days a week, I do yoga 2 days a week, walk the dog in parks and at the beach and read the AARP articles on just about everything.

0 Kudos

I do word searches.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I exercise and go to the gym 5-6 days/week.   I also read around 6 books per month and do the AARP quizzes on a regular basis.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Reading   learning Spanish with Duolingo   AARP quizzes and games   babysitting a 3 year old, her 1 year old brother and 1.5 year old cousin   AARP articles   gardening   Wordle

0 Kudos

I try to understand my investments & taxes... Do daily wordle and keep up with my children's homework and community college classes. Oh - and I do enjoy some of the games & point redemptions on AARP.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I started taking various online classes during Covid to keep stimulated, and I have continued that.  I take a range of classes to keep it interesting.  I take German, mixoxology, cooking and exercise classes, as well as some more academic classes from online universities to continue to learn. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to keep my brain engaged and active by walking 'round my neighborhood. I like to explore and notice the little things of nature while I am walking. Walking makes my body and legs feel strong, so doing this makes me feel great! I also love to get together with my children and grandchildren. When I talk and 'play' with them, it does help to feel young and healthy! I also

love to read fiction/ novels and I know that reading does make my brain excited and my imagination activated.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to keep active like taking 6 to 7 miles walks 5 or 6 days a week. I also do crossword puzzles, have conversations with friends and family and get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day. I think keeping your mind sharp isn’t just genetics, I think it’s a combination of factors such as utilizing your brain to figure things out. The brain is like any other part of your body. A body in motion stays in motion. I truly believe that a mind that used remains healthy. I have frequently watched relatives get old fast by sitting and watching TV whereas others that use their mind continuously stay bright. My grandmother lived to 98 without taking any drugs. While she didn’t walk outside, she was constantly in motion within the house and kept her mind sharp by reading and puzzles. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love words and play several word games, quizzes, and puzzles. You Tube has many excellent videos and I always come away from them learning something new. Ted Talks are a favorite as is SharonSaysSo on Instagram. They keep me engaged with the world, not just my little corner of it. 🌎 

I’m outside every day soaking up lots of vitamin D while exploring with my little pupper. 🐾

My favorite activity to keep my brain active is to spend time with my grandchildren; ages 26, 27, and 30. We have quite lively and extremely interesting conversations and discussions. ❤️

0 Kudos
Contributor

Every day I walk two miles and do Yoga.  I love to do  Suduko, Crossword puzzles, read and spend as much time outdoors as possible.  I go on frequent vacations and meet lots of interesting people of all ages.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think being able to communicate is vital in today’s world so I try to learn new words by playing word games daily, using Merriam Webster site to learn about words and their meanings and uses, both traditional and common words, new words and evolving words and uses. I particularly enjoy learning words from languages other than English and how they have evolved to become part of our American English vocabulary. The language of today’s younger generation is also one of my interests to be able to understand them.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Morning exercise is a good jumpstart to the day! It clears the head which lets new thoughts bubble through. Keep moving!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Every morning take a walk to the grocery store , talk to the baker about the difference cakes they made. At home I will play my Ms Pac machine .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I volunteer with the Honor Flight program and assist Veterans with their free trips to DC to honor them for their service.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I still like to do the "math" in my head when doing things like balancing my checkbook, etc. rather than use a calculator (of course I sometimes use the calculator to check my math). I also enjoy games like sudoku, wordscape, solitaire. etc. to keep my brain cells active.

0 Kudos

I try to walk every day for 30 mins on my treadmill, play games on my iPad and at least spend 1 hour or more outside.  Love to cut grass and shovel snow around the house.

0 Kudos

I find games like Wordscape to be good for me and I do learn a new word or two using their provided dictionary. Also I love to read and play board games with the grandangels. 

0 Kudos

Our local community college district offers up to six credit hours of free classes plus the online text book for seniors over 65. I live very close to one of the campuses  and have wanted to take courses ever since I retired. I started in the Spring semester of this year and since I love star gazing, I took an Astronomy course. The course was fascinating to me and I had an instructor that obviously loved and knew the subject very well. This Fall semester just started and I'm taking a basic Philosophy course. Both of my instructors to date have PhD degrees which surprises me for a junior college district. I'm taking the classes just for the joy of learning and to keep my mind sharp. Also, I started DIY woodworking last year and I get project concepts and broad design dimensions from online plans and adapt them to my specific projects. This involves very  careful measurements and calculating those measurements very exactly. I have to use my old basic math skills. I do the design drawings on Microsoft Publisher so I can print them out.

0 Kudos

I do gardening & read  a lot. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play games like Words with friends, crosswords, scrabble,  anything to keep your mind occupied.   Also the quizzes on AARP.  haha

Thank you.   Donna from Maine  ♪♪

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP