Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

My brainspirations are crocheting, yoga, accounting webinars, AARP dance events, movies and webinars.  I also enjoy gardening, music, and reading from mystery novels and the Bible.

@AARPTeri wrote:

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I regularly solve Sudoku puzzles and am taking classical guitar lessons.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve taken on a new role in one of my clubs. It’ll be a bit of a challenge for me but I know I can benefit from it. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I play a few games with friends and my cousins. I have been working on a 3,000 pc jigsaw puzzle!  Almost done!! I did do crosswords but stopped getting newspaper when pandemic started. Now just once in a while. I have online games I like and play!!  I excercise my brain!!  Marie

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’m in the process of relocating to one of AARP’s livable communities!  In the new community I am learning to play Pickle Ball.  I love that the action helps keep my bones healthy while the scoring method means I always have to keep track of points for both my team and the other team.  It’s a mind/body juggling act!!

0 Kudos
Contributor

during the spring summer and fall I keep my brain active by golfing 4 to 5 times a week plus it also keeps me mobile and I also like 2 games that I play on a daily basis Mahjong and Charm King which I'm proud to say I'm at level 6024 as of today .. 8/20/22 during the winter months I go back into the gym for the exercise but also for the social environment that my gym offers by working out and talking with friends that I've met there  

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love puzzles. Crosswords, sudukos, ken kens and the like.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My apologies to Cheryl. Apparently, I responded to her rather than post my OWN activity! So, I guess learning more about computers SHOULD be on my TO-DO list!!  What I said was that woodworking has always been a hobby I never had enough time for. But now, in retirement, I can keep myself, and my chisels, sharp by spending time in my shop. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I write every day. It might be poetry, a letter to the editor, awork on a short story, a letter or email to a friend, a response to a news media article, or whatever else catches my attention.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my brain sharp playing games, do quizzes

and memorizing things.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I enjoy and keeps my brain active is singing karaoke. I try to memorize the words, even though they are in front of me, if I get stuck, I made friends in the bar and I dont have to drink, can make any drink a virgin (no alcohol), I usually get a virgin Bloody Mary.

0 Kudos
Contributor

First became an AARP member in 2004 at age 50, to only get the latest info to care give and help my aging parents to navigate Medicare and long-term care options.  My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer and I vowed as a caregiver to take every preventive and proactive measure for myself.  On June 16, 2022, I took the AARP Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment.  I assessed the parts of the test that I most needed improvements –  and set out to work on those areas.   Such as, remembering names.  As a poet, I developed a game where I now write an Acrostic from that person’s name embedding the place where we met in the poem and rhyme wherever I could.  It works.  AARP has brain fit exercises, weekly new quizzes, weekly exercise and meditation or yoga classes, monthly museum tours … all of which I do regularly.  I like the AARP online scramble more than the crossword puzzles.  Now, I do recall from an AARP magazine, that engaging in unfamiliar learning activities are the most challenging stretch for the brain.  So, I returned to university-level courses taking far-fetch and new, challenging studies like ancient Egyptian, Greek and Hawaiian mythology and history- - and then, running a hypothesis of the common and different elements of their origins, hieroglyphics or cave writings- - the reward is being able to read ancient manuscripts, thousands or hundreds of years old.   I constantly keep up with the latest in technology, but this was my career path for 30 years.   Learning ancient and foreign languages has been the most challenging.  Next year, I plan to learn Sanskrit.   Creative applications are, for example, working with a translation of an ancient Egyptian recipe for bread (OK but not that tasty…), translation of a Hawaiian chant to locate an old historical surfing spot where today’s surfer can surf and study its significance.  And finally, to keep my brain sharp, for the last several years I engage in weekly philosophical debates on Zoom with a group consisting of deacons, priests, psychologists, and astronomers.  We spin different topics each week.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my memory sharp by helping my grandkids with their homework and watching lots of game shows.  I also do a lot of reading in the bathroom. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am a voracious reader...mostly non-fiction, but I mix it up with modern romances and thrillers!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have a new word of the day.  Once identified, I look up the definition (there is typically more than one) and seek to use it throughout the day.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love crosswords and I use this to exercise my brain - I love the crossword puzzles on the AARP site.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I read a few books each month and do word and number puzzles.,I’m also physically active - an avid walker and exerciser.,

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi

I  decided to leave my nursing career after 35+ years and thought I would get bored. To have the freedom of planning my life and not have to ask for time off. I read all types of books . I do bible studies . I volunteer at my church. I take daily walks. I feel physically, emotionally  ,psychologically  powerful. I start ad finish my day with prayer.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi everyone!  I talked it over with my kids.and they agree that to keep brain sharp ,active, and up to date is reading , reading, and eating right. Good healthy food is important.  Reading  is informative,  educational , and good for the soul. Happy mind is happy body and soul.  So go to libaray, or bookstore. Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am 68 and work full time in law. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I substitute at our local high school to keep the juices flowing, as well as puzzle and games online.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm always taking on new projects.  For example, prior to a trip to Italy this summer I took Italian lessons online.  I'm currently designing a needlepoint for a new grandchild due this Fall.  My husband and I are always discovering new walking paths within an hour or two of our home.  We've found some incredible places.  This winter I plan on taking a close look at how to manage and convert a huge collection of slides and photographs.  There is never a shortage of projects to take on..

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am an avid reader and I have several hobbies that I continually try to learn more about and become more proficient at.

0 Kudos

I have 5 grandchildren that keep me very busy and my husband and I are always on the go.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I do a lot of reading and research surrounding my chronic health issues.  I also engage in social media forums to learn and help others with similar conditions.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I work hard at keeping my brain active in a number of different ways.  I love to read many non-fiction books on a variety of subjects. I also love to journal and write to penpals that I have kept for many years.  I enjoy learning by watching new videos and completing quizzes and other activities on AARP Rewards.  Additionally I enjoy playing games on Lumosity a brain training app and slowly I have been studying three languages on DuoLingo though I mainly concentrate on learning Spanish.  I love to travel to new places and to learn new things whenever I can.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my brain active by still being occupied in the practice of Law, full time.  I meet with clients, read voluminous amounts of material, write legal briefs, argue cases and motions in Court and prepare for and engage in trials.  (Dave)

0 Kudos

I keep my brain active by doing zigsaw puzzle, I belong to a book club so I read a lot I also go to the y at least three times week. I just got a puppy so I walk him every day I also play games on my computer. stelrok1996@gmail.com (Stella)

0 Kudos
Contributor

How to keep my brain active was really a gray matter 🙂 I thought I might be
losing more memory than my hard drive. So, I had to wrap my head around it,
and that was a little hairy 🙂 I decided to go for a run, to jog my memory.

But the solution was a no brainer 🙂 I started taking AARP quizzes, 
and the matter cleared up. I  suddenly felt so smart, that I wanted to clone myself.
But, I was getting a head of myself on that one. 

Contributor

I play Sudoku any chance I get

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP