Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Community Learning & Earning Contest August 2022

August 2022, Learning/Earning/Back to School Contest!

Tell us how you keep your brain active to keep engaged for the chance to be one of five (5) winners of a $50 VISA Gift card! 

Post your message by clicking reply at the bottom of this message! Contest runs from 8/1 until 8/31/22.  Click here to see Contest Rules.

Some examples to help get you started!

My son moved to Germany, and I take German classes so I can feel a little more comfortable with the language when I visit him for the holidays.

I like to take quizzes and watch videos about topics I’m interested in like “what do you know about long-term care” from the Rewards earning page.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
Contributor

I have to learn and think a lot just to live a normal day to day life, like everyone else.
For example, when doing grocery shopping, you check the label and nutrition facts to choose the right food.
When making a garden, you think about overall design of the garden, the desired height, shape, and color of the plant in the garden, and then select the right plants for your zone and light condition. 
When making a to do list of the day, you have to prioritize to get things done. 
When planning for the holidays, you think about what you want to do and the budget, Etc., etc., etc. 
The thinking goes with everything you do, and you also learn new things along the way. My daily life is just like that.
So, there is nothing special in what I do, but my brain is working hard constantly!
0 Kudos
Contributor

My 77th birthday is in January 2023. I am still working as an RN and loving it. 

My three Granddaughters, son, daughter-in-law, and my cherished partner Paul keeps me young, happy, healthy, and wise. Practicing Yoga, stretching, and gardening is my health tool also. 

I love being a nurse, mother, partner, grandmother, and mother-in-law. A combination along with a good attitude goes a long way. 

One just has to look around and see the beauty, not the blight, to have a feel good, positive attitude. 

It has worked for me. 

Pattie B 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I try to maintain a brain healthy diet. I swim, jog and do yoga. I like to do word puzzles and read.  Traveling and volunteering and still work at a tech job that challenges me.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My 76th birthday is rapidly approaching, so my mental acuity is not what it used to be. I try to keep my mind active by playing word games, solving crossword puzzles, reading non-fiction novels and learning new songs to play on my guitar.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Crossword puzzles, hike out in nature ( for me, the Sierra Nevada mountains), and listening to music all serve to keep my MI d active.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Mind active. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I do several crosswords daily from AARP's list and books. I also read daily, do jigsaw puzzles, and belong to Ancestry. All these things keep me mentally active.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My 5 year old grandson was having meltdowns , laid on the floor in crying tantrums , My son couldn't comfort him, When I said that we could go out for a milkshake ,  All got better , A perfect child in Denny's . Milkshakes with my grandson are my cure .

0 Kudos
Contributor

I volunteered to participate in a research study and clinical trial to study the possible links of exercise, diet, and social networks to brain health.  Steve

0 Kudos

I read nightly, play word games and dance. Dancing is proven to be effective in making new connections in the brain. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

i read all kinds of books..love information and how to do applying what I have read to learning new skills. Playing all kinds of games that require thinking or looking for different clues to solve..Puzzles,also keep my mind active as well as knitting and cooking following directions so that the outcome will be rewarding..Listening to music and watching PBS and other informative tv programs..I love the travel shows as I may never get there personally but in my mind I will be able to enjoy the trip...I also write poems when the mood hits me, write reviews whether they are good or bad..Stay in touch with loved ones via e-mail or cards...Do my own business regarding running the home etc...So all and all I stay active and always watch the news to know what's happening in and around my neighborhood and current events...

0 Kudos

I love to play some of the games AARP offer and to answer quizzes and trivia questions. I also read everyday.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am a retired university professor and keep my brain active and remain current by teaching online one course each term and by working part-time as a managing editor for an academic journal.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am on a team and play darts (steel and soft tip) in local taverns.  Dart games engage my brain through problem solving, strategic planning, math (adding, subtracting and multiplying) at a fast pace and social interactions. Game on AARP!

0 Kudos

I love to travel and learn about different cultures. I play word games daily, Mah Jong once a week, belong to a book club, try different recipes, grow a vegetable garden, can and freeze the results. Oh, and does needlepoint count?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I try to keep my mind active every day , maybe a crossword puzzle large print, word search, presently learning how to do an adult paint by number. I try any opportunity to keep it sharp. Grandkids help!☺️

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I enjoy watching how-to & decorating videos to learn different approaches and new skills.

0 Kudos
Contributor

1. I play cards once a week at community senior center. I also plan & book our outings once a week for our senior building. I volunteer twice a week at hospital. Also enjoy doing our monthly potlucks. Also enjoy swim aerobics at the Y.
0 Kudos

I enjoy playing resource management and puzzle games such as Frostpunk and  Quern (think MYST circa 1994).

0 Kudos
Contributor

I like to play word games and do puzzles

0 Kudos
Contributor

My sister, aged 75, and I, (79) zoom each other once a month and recite a poem that we have chosen and memorized.  This is our third year.  We've memorized lots of Mary Oliver and Robert Frost, a little Shakespeare and a lot of new poets we've discovered!  I also make my own kefir and drink it every morning mixed with cherry concentrate.

0 Kudos

I am a writer and reader. I retired from my full time job just a month ago, but I write for a local paper and another publication. I also volunteer manage our local theater. Finally, I stay connected with people who were part of the theater renovation as they are very bright, capable people who I continue to learn from. I do quizzes from AARP as well; I often learn the most from the quizzes I score the poorest on.

0 Kudos
Contributor

At the age of 75 I still have a full time job in accounting which keeps my mind busy and active.  When I am at home I have a garden that I attend and when vegetables are ready for picking I can or freeze them.

When my workday is finished I love to play games.  I have a Switch, which I can play with my grandchildren. I also love word and puzzle games and I always have one in my hands anytime I am sitting with free time, even when I am watching TV or a movie.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I practice memorizing the countries of Central, and South America and then, Africa and use this memorization as a sleep aide at night.   Also memorizing the state capitals and the 12 Cranial nerves is another good option.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have been going to Water Aerobics exercises here in my Apartments 2 days a week and also at L A Fitness on Wednesdays.  Plus in our gym 2 to 3 times a week. I am also in a Nutrition class.  Trying my best to eat when I'm suppose to. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I keep my active by playing online games like POGO and do a lot of the card games or just any game that simulates my brain. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk everyday and bike most days to stay active.  I also do crossword puzzles and read as much as I can!

0 Kudos
Info Seeker

Everyday I will play brain games on computer as well as maintain a healthy lifestyle.
I take care of patients with brain issues so feel it’s very important to keep your brain stimulated which includes the whole body being in a good healthy state. 

Conversationalist

Ii write poetry to keep my brain active!  I write poems for my friends and send the verses to them on their birthdays.   It is my way of showing how much they mean to me!  They love receiving them as it is more meaningful than just a card.  I always tease I am a Hallmark competitor!

Contributor

I do a lot of seek and find puzzles, I read a lot and sing to myself. But most of all I say thank you every day!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP