Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Was I discriminated against?

Message 31 of 33
In Response to Re: Was I discriminated against?:
You, like me, found out that what is legal and what we can do about it are two different things.  As a potential employee, you really cannot tell an employer that the question that have just asked is illegal if you hope to get a job. Of course, you would likely prefer NOT to work for such an employer, but sometimes a job with a firm you are disappointed in is better than no job.

What is the point of laws if there is no real barrier to breaking them? Those of us over 50 need better protection from unscrupulous employers.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Retired Moderator
Kudos
Views

Re: Was I discriminated against?

Message 32 of 33
At this time of year, there is rampant employment discrimination going on!
If you are overweight, male, and wear a long white beard, you can get hired in a minute!!

Kiss
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Was I discriminated against?

Message 33 of 33
Looking for some input. I recently had an interview at a local Target store. I remember the on-line application asked if I "was over 40." I am wondering if this is legal. When I exited the store, I didn't see *anyone* who even remotely looked like me-everyone seemed to be early 20s. Has anyone here had experience with interviewing at Target? I thought my interview went well-this was for a credit greeter and cashier position, both of which I have extensive experience. Many thanks for any answers/direction you may be able to provide me. I am new to the AARP Forums and hope to help someone else out.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.