Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Trying to be an advocate for seniors in the workforce

Conversationalist

Trying to be an advocate for seniors in the workforce

I know that I may be going like in the field of a saleman or something but what I may want to do is and by looking at the site "CreateTheGoodThing" and looking at "The Nuts and Bolts of managing a project", I think I hit paydirt.  After what I have been seeing very positive things about the older generation in how we "old-timers" can still work in the world of work such as we doing a much better job in showing up on time than the younger generation, I think I might use some great things to get these younger managers to take a good hard look at us and have them think good about us.  So by using that tool, I think now I can really bang out letters to top managers of these big corporations and I hope that I can "teach them a lesson" about turn us down in the world of employment.  I think I am even going to even photo snip some stuff from that page so I can really hit it home.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Indeed. We have the work ethic. Unfortunately the younger ones are perceived as having more "current" skills and speed. We just have to look for Service industries that need the human interaction, rather than the tech-centric jobs.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SaraL218963 wrote:
Indeed. We have the work ethic. Unfortunately the younger ones are perceived as having more "current" skills and speed. We just have to look for Service industries that need the human interaction, rather than the tech-centric jobs.

There really aren't many 'service industry' jobs that need human interaction outside of customer service. And most of those jobs are outsourced to other countries.

Most jobs with 'human interaction' require advanced degrees in fields related to nursing or social work.

There is, of course, retail. I tend to see more seniors in retail than younger people, but that could just be me.

And it's not just 'perception' about current skills and speed. It's true that more seniors are online, have smart phones and/or tablets, but from what I read, few have the overall skills to use graphics, spreadsheets, presentation software, word processors, or multimedia apps. You're not going to get a job simply by being good at email.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP