Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Over 80 and still working

Message 1 of 36

That's the spirit!!!  We'll show those young guys what we are made of!  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 36
You should also thank each other for the wonderful years you made it work together!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 36

Age 79 and I am a substitute teacher about 150 days per year.  

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 36
I am 75 and intend to work until at least 80 or maybe more. I enjoy the challenge and the money.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 36

95 is the new 75!  As a Senior its not about pursuing a career but more about finding something meaningful that allows us to learn new technologies, pay some bills, while giving us a reason to wake up and shower each morning!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: REPLY: Over 80 and still working

Message 6 of 36

I just turned 79 and I work full time as a salaried employee of a community bank with 21 branches and growing. I work at the corporate headquarters and have never worked in a branch. I joined the bank 14 years ago with no bank experience. Previously I worked as an editorial print designer and then a web designer early on. When the internet bust happened in 2001 the startup I worked for let me go. I was in my sixties and couldn't find employment in my field, so I followed plan B which was to work for Trader Joe's even though I had never worked a cash register in my life. Indeed I was abominable at it and they kindly set me to demonstrating products, where I didn't need to handle money and couldn't get in as much trouble. I learned to cook doing that. And how to talk to people. After a couople years I was hired by the bank based on the recommendation of a bank employee who moonlighted at TJ for fun. I work in the Training Department designing online courses and acting as administrator for the system that assigns and tracks employee training. Once again I don't handle money so don't get in trouble. Everything I know about banking I learned by researching courses I needed to design, working with subject matter experts. I enjoy my work and feel like a normal employee, whatever that may be. I feel quite surprised and don't particularly like it when people exclaim over my advanced age and congratulate me on being competent. Give me a break! Anyway I work because I need to and I don't foresee that changing so guess I'll go out feet first.    

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 36

I am writing this as an update. I am now 84 and my wife is 83. We are still very active and I still work. I now work 2- 8 hour shifts. Sunday and Monday nights from 11 PM to 7 AM. I love ever minute of the work and will continue as long as I can. I feel if you have a good marriage it adds to your longevity. My Wife and I are very happy and support each other in anything we do. We thank GOD every day for what we have and each other.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 36

Awesome!   You must be really strong to handle a job at the age of 80. This will teach those "kids" a thing or two.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 36

I just wanted to update this posting. I will soon be 84 years old and I am still working. For those that asked the question "What do youy Do" I am a Gate Attendent at a Large RV Park. I also am the only one there so I am responsible for any out of the ordinary things that take place. I also take tours to be sure all is secure and close and open other Buildings as needed, I now work 2 -  11:00 PM to 7:00 AM shifts per week.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: DEAR JOHN: Over 80 and still working

Message 10 of 36

@johninnevada wrote:

I appreciate all the replies and find some very inyeresting.

I find a lot of similar occupations to my work life.

After I retired and started working again I drove cars for a Car Rental Agency and worked about 30 hours a week. Then I tiook courses on doing taxes and got certified and did taxes for a number of years, but found that I was working long hours and there were few rewards.

The work I do now is very rewarding and as I approach my 81st Birthday I have taken on an additional shift and have no intention of ever retiring.

As I tell all my friends, "If I don't work, at the end of the day I am still in my Night Clothes and what have I really accomplished? NOTHING!!!" "Life has more to offer than that and I want to enjoy my Life"

Johninnevada

Wow   what a positive story.  I appreciate your sharing it.   Care to share what you are doing now?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors