Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

DEAR JOHN: Over 80 and still working

Message 11 of 36

Dear John,

What have you been up to lately?  Hope all is going well.

LVSHOE.gif

@johninnevada wrote:

I appreciate all the replies and find some very inyeresting.

I find a lot of similar occupations to my work life.

After I retired and started working again I drove cars for a Car Rental Agency and worked about 30 hours a week. Then I tiook courses on doing taxes and got certified and did taxes for a number of years, but found that I was working long hours and there were few rewards.

The work I do now is very rewarding and as I approach my 81st Birthday I have taken on an additional shift and have no intention of ever retiring.

As I tell all my friends, "If I don't work, at the end of the day I am still in my Night Clothes and what have I really accomplished? NOTHING!!!" "Life has more to offer than that and I want to enjoy my Life"

Johninnevada

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

.:Over 80 and still working

Message 12 of 36

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Over 80 and still working

Message 13 of 36

i am ovr 80 and have recently retired however the day of my retiement i was asked to work a few days and agreed it is hard to quit  and will probably continue to fill in occasionaly

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 36

I was a vice president for academic affairs at a small university and seminary. I made over $50,000 at the peak of my career.

Now I'm working for $9.50 an hour part-time, after trying to find work for a long time.

My problem with most jobs is I've had a stroke that's affected my speech, so I can't speak easily (or sing, for that matter, which I used to do professionally).

So my experience is: If you don't own your own business, expect far less from a job than you're used to.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 36

I'm not yet 70, but my plans had been to work full-time till I reached 70 and P/T till age 72.  Unfortunately I was let go from my job last April.  At that time I was the primary caregiver to my 95 year old mother whose behavior took a turn from "love" to extreme hatred for me.  I unfortunately had to place her in a LTC facility.  It took almost 2-3 months and various medications to stabilize her and she is almost back to her sweet self. 

I would have liked to continue to work part-time to break into retirement slowly but my mother needs to have me around and I visit on an almost daily basis.  I also considered working 16 to 20 hours per week currently but find that my visits to my mom are now my P/T job as I spend anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a day with her. I am, however, in the process of writing a series of books which I hope to try to sell on my website (considered Amazon, but untrusting of putting my SS number on line). 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 36

I'm writing for my husband who will be 81 next weekend and still works full time as a realtor.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 36
good for you
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 36

I am 82 and still work as a substitute teacher in local middle and high schools.

I love interacting with the kids and the job is ideal. I work when I want to and refuse when I

don't, usually four or five days a month..

One of my several careers was teaching as well as working as a chemist, sales executive, and entrepreneur.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 36
I am. I find it joyful getting up with a purpose, plus I enjoy the salary, insurance, holidays, travel and educational activities.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 36
I retired at 62 and found it to be very boring. Started a small home improvement company and just kept going. I''m now 81 and after my wife died, the business kept me involved and sane. Will probably stop working when the good lord calls me home.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Want to take your career or business to the next level? Coaches Tarnoff and Hall are here to help!

Top Authors