Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Over 80 and still working

I am over 80 and still working. I am wondering how many other AARP members over 80 are still working for pay at age over 80.

Johninnevada
Contributor

I will be 83 in 3 mo. and still drive cars for the Chev. and Cad. auto dealers. have been for over 15 years.
Regular Contributor

To answer your question I work an 8 hour shift 3-11 PM as a Gate Attendent at a busy RV Membership Park, I work every Thursday evening as well as one or two additional nights.I am the only person there after the Office closes at 5 PM and Check People in as well as collect money and also lock up buildings during the evening, I have to open the gate for all who come in. In addition to this I Volunteer a lot and have served as an Officer in the BPOE for the past 35 years.

My wife and I Thank GOD on a daily basis for permitting us to be so active at over 80 years old.

Johninnevada
Regular Contributor

I am writing this as an update. I am now 84 and my wife is 83. We are still very active and I still work. I now work 2- 8 hour shifts. Sunday and Monday nights from 11 PM to 7 AM. I love ever minute of the work and will continue as long as I can. I feel if you have a good marriage it adds to your longevity. My Wife and I are very happy and support each other in anything we do. We thank GOD every day for what we have and each other.

Johninnevada
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You should also thank each other for the wonderful years you made it work together!
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

good for you
Gold Conversationalist

Dear Johninnevada,

It sounds like you have been very fortunate to be able to sustain long term employment in Las Vegas where the economy has been in recovery since the 2008 disaster.  I am very pleased to know you survived and continue to prosper and enjoy your life.

Your positive and giving spirit is inspiring...may you and your wife 

have a blessed holiday season!

BLESSINGSBLESSINGS

Gold Conversationalist

Dear John,

That's impressive!  What do you do?  Your employer must be a good one.

true.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just turned 79 and I work full time as a salaried employee of a community bank with 21 branches and growing. I work at the corporate headquarters and have never worked in a branch. I joined the bank 14 years ago with no bank experience. Previously I worked as an editorial print designer and then a web designer early on. When the internet bust happened in 2001 the startup I worked for let me go. I was in my sixties and couldn't find employment in my field, so I followed plan B which was to work for Trader Joe's even though I had never worked a cash register in my life. Indeed I was abominable at it and they kindly set me to demonstrating products, where I didn't need to handle money and couldn't get in as much trouble. I learned to cook doing that. And how to talk to people. After a couople years I was hired by the bank based on the recommendation of a bank employee who moonlighted at TJ for fun. I work in the Training Department designing online courses and acting as administrator for the system that assigns and tracks employee training. Once again I don't handle money so don't get in trouble. Everything I know about banking I learned by researching courses I needed to design, working with subject matter experts. I enjoy my work and feel like a normal employee, whatever that may be. I feel quite surprised and don't particularly like it when people exclaim over my advanced age and congratulate me on being competent. Give me a break! Anyway I work because I need to and I don't foresee that changing so guess I'll go out feet first.    

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakoutยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP