Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Need help finding work

I was caught up in a RIF in March 2017. I have been looking for work ever since.  The retirement I accumulated was exhausted in March 2018. I have no income and no job. I've sent out 140 applications/resumes and have not received so much as a phone interview. I was reduced to living in my car for 2 days until my daughter moved me in her home.  I was a Supervisor, Human Resources Assistant. Now, I can't even get a job as a secretary. I REALLY NEED HELP IN FINDING A JOB.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Are you in the Atlanta area?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Iโ€™d suggest government work. Government discriminates less regarding age. Itโ€™s not perfect of course. The more local, the better. Like city or county government. 

Things like libraries, pools, rec departments, senior centers, etc. 

https://www.governmentjobs.com/jobs/1400809-0/senior-services-positions-seasonal?utm_campaign=google...

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi, I'm Charmaine. I retired in December 2017 and have just begun searching for part-time, Monday-Friday, data entry/clerical work.  I've become depressed about being unable to find work after 50 years of experience working in the Federal Government, for profit, non-profit and private industry jobs.  I've applied for countless jobs but have only been met with a feeling of worthlessness.  So far, AARP has been of no help since they seem to use the same job search engines as everyone else. I've found that some employees even ask for the year you graduated high school!!!! What differene should that make? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions from any of you who were once in this same position and have found your way out.  This is not the time in our lives to be made to feel worthless and of no value to society but, that's exactly what society is telling us.  Thanks for anyone's help.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Charmain,

I too am out of work. I am finding that applying for jobs online, one after another, doesn't work. Instead talk to every single person you know. Go out to networking events. Look for any networking events where you live. Look for start up companys. Try Amazaon, Facebook and Google. Any company that is in growth mode. The more people you talk to the better. I wish you all the best. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your suggestions.  This entire "retirement" thing is actually very depressing and disheartning. I'm very disappointed in AARP, they are not the benefit they purport to be.  By the time most of us reach retirment, we've already been put through the ringer in way more ways than one and to be made to feel worthless, as if you've been discarded like and with the trash shakes everything you've believed, tried to believe and been told through out your work life.  It's like everything and most people lied over and over.  I'll keep trying because giving up is not in my nature but every day it gets harder and harder to push yourself to keep trying.  My entire personality has changed and not in a positive way.  Even when things do work out, too much deep introspective personal damage has been done to do fully recover the "previous me."  Thanks again 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Try going to your states website. In NY state its NY.GOV. Search your state site for jobs. Better yet, call them on the phone. Go in person to your local unemployment office. Dont depend on AARP and dont be disappointed if AARP can not get you a job. It is hard. You're not worthless at all -- it's just a phase people go through when they have lost their job. Try not to think about your job search this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Take a break for a day or three and do something really fun. Then start Monday with fresh eyes and call every person you know. Maybe take something part time so you can still look for jobs. Go to your states website, go to your local church, nearest hospital, FEMA office, or the nearest Amazon in your area. Hang in there! It will happen.

Best,

Dan

0 Kudos
Contributor

In my opinion, AARP has become experts in squeezing money from the Senior Community.  The Partners Program?  AARP uses the same job board as every other job board.  It's really not for over 50.  Senior citizens have just as much hope as any other age group.  The older the more wash uped in this country.  I'll never stop trying though.  The only stopping I will do is thinking AARP canhelp.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I too am feeling the "age" rejection. I was laid off from a great company in a small town and was afforded the opportunity to go to school. I've been in school for the past 2 years, and because of the college not being able to schedule certain classes, I have lost my TRA benefits. I am now 63 and decided to file my SS b/c I needed some income (any income would have helped). But, even attending school, I never stopped looking for work! Today I am applying for part-time positions all over town, but nothing! It amazes me that elders, like us, have always been loyal in our job positions, but when it comes to finding work, no one wants to hire us. In the past 45+ years of being employed, I've NEVER had such a problem finding work. Good luck everyone... I certainly feel your disgust and frustration.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I understand your frustration!!  I too am having no luck and I'm a professional nurse!  Nursing shortage???  Really????  Or should we call it what it is, age descrimination, good luck proving that in a court, ha ha!!!

I have found after 2 decades of not looking for work and having to write a resume and send it to the wonderful world of "A I" or as we know it, "Artificial Intelligence" that my applications are being thrown into cyberspace.  Yes, it's true, you use to apply to the company, call them in a reasonable amount of time to follow up and ask if the position had been filled and that you were interested.  I think we use to call that customer service.  It's gone, sadly. 

If you don't have "key words" that the "A I" is keying in its heartwarming analytical way, you're a "gonner" into the bottom of the round file.

So, what do you do????

You didn't mention your age, are you aware that you can take early retirement at 62??

Either walk into Mickey D's and run a register or flip burgers. We all did it at one time or another, we are just coming full circle, some money is better than no money.  Or......... borrow money from someone (on the promise you will repay when you get work), pay big bucks for some "sweetheart" to do a "recommended resume" for the Artificial Intelligence to hopefully pick up some "key words", its not guaranteed but it may be the kick start you need.

I wish you the best, think outside your box as you keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.  That's the definition of insanity, even the "A I" will pick up on that.  It's not easy and you may have to lower your standards a bit for awhile.  Network with everyone you can, who knows you could end up manager at Mickey D's. 

All kidding aside, I sincerely wish you the best.  I hope something comes through for you.

0 Kudos
Contributor

What state do you live in? 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Sorry to hear this.  But let me tell you, I was exactly on the same boat.

Nobody cares about us.  I was rejected because of my age.  After 48 years of teaching.

Good luck.

Beatriz Cortes
0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm going threw the same. I have a stellar work history and now no one wants to speak with me.  I have had hiring managers as for phone screen before interview and then without a call, they change their minds.

I wish AARP can help, but they don't ae either.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP