Silver Conversationalist

"Social Security Handbook" ?

It's just come to my attention (or maybe I forgot about it) that there is the "Social Security Handbook". It's available online as a pdf on the SS Administration's web site, https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.html

I've never received but It looks a lot like the the Medicare Handbook I get in the postal mail every year.

Is this something that all SS recipients are given? It seems a lot bigger than the Medicare Handbook. And I see bound copies for prior years available for sale. Walmart shows an upcoming 2021 Edition (to be available in May) for $85, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Social-Security-Handbook-2021-Overview-of-Social-Security-Programs-Paperb...

So, is something we get in the mail once we apply for benefits? Thanks.

Edit:   well, to answer my own question, apparently the answer is "no". The Handbook states:

"Is The Social Security Handbook Available In Paper Format?

No. The Social Security Handbook is no longer available in paper format; it is available online at: Social Security. "

Presumably there are private publishers who print this off for sale and distribution. rather than being printed by the Federal government.

well, I could delete my thread but maybe it will help others to have directions to that Handbook.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Introduce yourself and connect with others on similar interests, experiences and needs.
AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health

Let Us Work for You

AARP is your trusted friend and fierce defender. Membership unlocks powerful benefits to help you in your life. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership