Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: NEW REPUBLICAN CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

Message 1 of 17

this National Committee to Preserve Social Security & Medicare update and summary of the lethal impact on seniors of GOP 2019 budget proposal gutting Medicare & Social Security is more recent https://www.ncpssm.org/documents/social-security-policy-papers/house-fiscal-year-2019-budget-effect-... 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

The current Republican proposal is to cut off Social Security Disability if the person is also getting Unemployment Insurance payments which we all know is usually temporary and paid at the state level.  It is expected to save $4 billion.  I've found this information before but this is the only article I found quickly.

https://www.ncpssm.org/documents/social-security-policy-papers/anticipated-congressional-proposals-c...

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17

I don't believe that any of the programs that take care of people are the reason this country is in trouble with money Norman. It has been wasted on too many other things like huge tax cuts for the rich.  If they paid their fair share, we would not have any problems with deficits or Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Veteran's benefits to name a few.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

The deficit will hit nearly $1 trillion in FY2019.  The reason is the spiraling growth of programs like Mediciad and all health services including but not limited to Medicare. Even if all the bad tax cuts were magically rolled back you would still end up with a huge deficit.  Why?  Because spending is out of control.  And any time someone has the temerity to mention that to reign in spending, they are villified in the media and by their political opposition.  Never mind that our continued failure to address this situation has yielded a $360+ billion interest charge (which is greater than the total cost of Welfare Programs) and only continuing to rise as interest rates rise to historic norms. The CBO even projected during Obama's Presidency that the deficit would return to trillion dollar levels.  So this should not shock anybody. What would be shocking is people would wake up and realize that this is not a partisian issue but an American issue.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17

not exactly true.  You can collect BOTH social security disability and unemployment at the same time.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

0mttmh96v8h01.jpgDi5GVkUVAAENmO9.jpg

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

The Republicans think they are playing Robin Hood. Take from the working or in my case retired stiffs so we can give to the wealthy. 

This has been the plan for at least 35 years:

1) Reduce taxes (especially on the wealthy and business)

2) increase spending

3) complain about debts an deficits

4) cut "entitlement" programs

5) return to step 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/20/gop-rep-steve-stivers-urges-medicare-social-security-reform.html

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

Medicare is not paid for.  Are you NUTS?  The tax cuts were not paid for.    Are you going to continue to believe their lies.  Image may contain: 3 people, text

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

I stand corrected.  You are right about that.  I have never been an employer and have only been self employed, so it was different for me Gail.

Kudos
Views