Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search
Contributor

Jonathan Roumie

Has anyone been contacted by someone they claim is Jonathan Roumie? A relative of mine is convinced that she is talking to via social media to Jonathan Roumie.  She claims he sent her a pic of his driver's license and passport and that she has all his bank info.  She says he has her helping her buy camera equipment from bank account he gave her info on from a company in China and that he can't do it because he is in Tanzania filming The Chosen.  I know it's crazy but she is 72 and believes it fully.  I feel she is being groomed.  She gets angry with me when I try to talk to her about how unlikely this is.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

An update to this...she has now lost approximately $80,000 to "Jonathan Roumie".  She finally accepted that the one I wrote about above was fake..there was another one after that and thankfully a bank employee was watching out for her..but she is telling ne now she's talking to the "real" one and he even offered to put money in her bank account.  She tells me I am judgmental because I told her she is NOT talking to Jonathan Roumie.  I do not know what is wrong with hef!!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Very sad story. 

Unfortunately, many people seem to fall prey to such scams. Maybe it is misdirected altruism, maybe it's greed, maybe just plain confusion. Older people may be targeted and may be susceptible to some scams. But younger age is likely no proof against failing for scams.

$80K? That sure takes my breath away!

Thank you for sharing this situation. It may help others who might have a family member in this situation; they can point to this as an example of how scams work.

0 Kudos

Totally a scam. I am 74 and only reply to texts/phone calls from people/companies in my Contacts. If anyone outside of my Contacts wants to talk to me they must leave a phone message. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP