Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Did you get an unexpected text from someone? It could be Smishing.

Retired Community Manager

Did you get an unexpected text from someone? It could be Smishing.

The term “smishing” combines the concept of “phishing” with SMS, a.k.a., texting. Let’s break that down even further. Phishing tries to steal personal information through deceptive communication. SMS stands for “short message service.” Therefore “smishing” is the method for a wide variety of scams from identity theft, to social security, to alerts related to COVID-19. The AARP Fraud Resource Center summarizes some do’s and don’ts for how to avoid smishing scams.

Have you received an unexpected text from someone?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Yes!  Just recently, as a matter of fact. I've been getting text msgs from weird named addresses warning me about my FB post.  One said "my post" did not comply with TOS rules.  One was something about users wanted me to remove tags.

Thing is, I don't do FB. I have no idea what they're after, but I'm not clicking any links to find out.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” - Jimi Hendrix
Kudos
Views
Retired Community Manager

Good for you @MaVolta for staying vigilant and recognizing that as a scam!

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP